Upgrades to Invision

goodeats

From that point onward, any new posts will be directly accessible. To jump directly to unread posts in a thread, click on the small rectangular orange icon (it's a nearly-illegible depiction of a dog-eared page bearing a right-arrow), which you'll find immediately to the left of each thread title.

I suspect that many of us are seeing different things depending on which browser we are using. I have never seen the orange icon just mentioned. I am using Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP.

Still, this is much better than the "lo-fi" version you can select in the lower left hand corner. Well, there's an option like that in what I see!

Anyone having a problem with the "insert a link" feature? On my PC, the dialog box opens(the left half) off the screen so there is no way to click the appropriate command to insert a link. I tried widening the content and it doesn't help. I don't know if others are having similar difficulties which seem to be associated with the new format of the website. I'd like to hear if there's a fix.

Anyone having a problem with the "insert a link" feature?

This was a problem but then appeared to have been fixed by Invision. On a Firefox browser, this was indeed the case; however, I was recently on a IE6 computer and that wasn't fixed. So, it appears to be a browser issue. Which version are you using?

Let me add some kudos to the list of complaints.

I *love love love* that when you are reading posts in a board, and click on the icon to send the post author a PM, rather than sending you to the messaging area it just pops open a little window for you to send the PM, and leaves you on the post page when you are done. Brilliant.

I *love love love* that when you are reading posts in a board, and click on the icon to send the post author a PM, rather than sending you to the messaging area it just pops open a little window for you to send the PM, and leaves you on the post page when you are done. Brilliant.

Not sure if this is good news or bad news, but we're soon (and I mean within a day or two) going to upgrade to Invision 3.0.1 :rolleyes:

Click

I don't seem to be able to do that. Nor can I send PMs through the members list. Wish I knew what the problem is.

I don't seem to be able to do that. Nor can I send PMs through the members list. Wish I knew what the problem is.

Have you tried using a different browser (ie, Mozilla Firefox) or downloaded the latest version of your current browser, as a potential fix? Or is it still being wonk-a-doo (to use the technical term)?

Have you tried using a different browser (ie, Mozilla Firefox) or downloaded the latest version of your current browser, as a potential fix? Or is it still being wonk-a-doo (to use the technical term)?

I tried using Mozilla and that seemed to solve the problem. We've been using IE ever since we signed up with Verizon for DSL service. I'll have to talk to Tech Support (AKA Dame Edna) about this. It seems that some folk are unable to send me PMs. H-m-m-m.

I tried using Mozilla and that seemed to solve the problem. We've been using IE ever since we signed up with Verizon for DSL service. I'll have to talk to Tech Support (AKA Dame Edna) about this. It seems that some folk are unable to send me PMs. H-m-m-m.

The PM problem is an Invision bug, and that's going to go away with the upgrade to version 3.0.1.

Occassionally I'll get an error message when trying to visit the board:

[#2000] You are not allowed to visit this forum.

When this happens, whatever browser I use doesn't seem to change things (have tried Firefox, IETab within Firefox, and Chrome; can't use IE on this computer as it isn't configured).

When I get this it is usually a couple hours before I can load the forum page as I keep getting that error.

Occassionally I'll get an error message when trying to visit the board:

[#2000] You are not allowed to visit this forum.

When this happens, whatever browser I use doesn't seem to change things (have tried Firefox, IETab within Firefox, and Chrome; can't use IE on this computer as it isn't configured).

When I get this it is usually a couple hours before I can load the forum page as I keep getting that error.

If you have not already, try deliberately signing out then signing back in the next time this happens.

That won't work, because you're sacrificing to the wrong gods. St. Vidicon is whom you want.

But why make up a saint when a real one will do?

Story goes as follows: Young Chiara was so happy to hear Francis, her beloved friend and mentor, was coming back home to Assisi to preach in a large public square. Sadly, on the day of his visit she was too ill to get out of bed. Given the strength of both her ardor and piety, nonetheless, a little, tiny Francis perched at the foot of her bed at the time of his sermon and delivered a simultaneous broadcast. In recognition of this miracle, and the fact that her name, "Chiara", translates as "clear" as well as "Clare", Pope Pius XII recognized her as the patron saint of television. Among people who drink wine, dine at restaurants, cook at home and shop at farmers markets, there is a campaign to extend this role to accommodate the internet.

This may have been posted previously, but if I hit the "Insert link" button, the box to insert the link moves halfway off the screen to the left. I am using IE 6.0 as my browser (Yes, it is an old version of IE. No, I don't have a choice about it).

Ugh. The attachment mechanism is badly broken, at least on Safari. It won't let me use the multiple-attachment script, and yet when I upload one-at-a-time, I get highly unpredictable behavior. The second attachment upload caused the first one to disappear from the attachment management panel, but it was clearly orphaned somewhere - my file usage numbers didn't go back down - and even stranger, when I previewed the post, only the first attachment was displayed as an image. Attachments 2-5 never came up as thumbnails or otherwise.

Frustrating, as this stuff used to Just Plain Work under 2.x

Ugh. The attachment mechanism is badly broken, at least on Safari. It won't let me use the multiple-attachment script, and yet when I upload one-at-a-time, I get highly unpredictable behavior. The second attachment upload caused the first one to disappear from the attachment management panel, but it was clearly orphaned somewhere - my file usage numbers didn't go back down - and even stranger, when I previewed the post, only the first attachment was displayed as an image. Attachments 2-5 never came up as thumbnails or otherwise.

View upthread - could be image file size too big but Invision didn't notify you. Best take monavano's advice and link to picasa/flicker stream from now on.

I didn't find any discussion upthread regarding image attachments. It's also unlikely to be a file size problem. In any case, much as I'd prefer to keep board content attached to the board, I might just fall back on using Flickr again to get around this irritating pseudo-pop-up script Invision uses to expand images. So trendy (as a board software feature). So annoying to use.

Note to Invision's product managers: one of the oldest axioms in technology management is that the five most dangerous words are "wouldn't it be cool if..." Learn it.

I don't know if this has to do with the Invision upgrade, but since I'm the only one posting about it I rather think not. Anyway, I was unable to log on last night from my Mac laptop. I kept getting a screen that looked similar to the Invision normal screen, but it was pink and said "database error" or database disabled. I'll try again tonight to see if I can replicate the problem or get access at all.

I don't know if this has to do with the Invision upgrade, but since I'm the only one posting about it I rather think not. Anyway, I was unable to log on last night from my Mac laptop. I kept getting a screen that looked similar to the Invision normal screen, but it was pink and said "database error" or database disabled. I'll try again tonight to see if I can replicate the problem or get access at all.

Blame not 'yer Mac! If you are still having issues tonight, I may be able to help ya troubleshoot.

Via my MacBook, aka the love of my life.

Blame not 'yer Mac! If you are still having issues tonight, I may be able to help ya troubleshoot.

Via my MacBook, aka the love of my life.

Don't blame your Mac; something on the server crashed last night. I put in a Support Ticket around midnight, and it was fixed by this morning.

FYI. The Virginia Restaurant Guide appears farked up; showing HTML code instead of links. DC and Multiple locations also affected. Maryland looks OK.

In the two posts of the DC guide, the first 29 links (if my ability to count with so few cups of coffee and without my glasses can be relied on) seem to be properly displayed.

Interesting - if you choose the "classic blue" option, then the calendar events are displayed in a line break-column - more orderly. But it doesn't do that for the other board-skin options.

This option also has the "back to top" button, which the renamed "homely default" option still lacks.

Interesting - if you choose the "classic blue" option, then the calendar events are displayed in a line break-column - more orderly. But it doesn't do that for the other board-skin options.

That's because they were independently programmed (I happen to prefer the non-orderly list, similar to the Member List.)

We just upgraded to Invision 3.0.5 yesterday afternoon (this is a release which contains various behind-the-scenes enhancements). If you see anything abnormal, would you please report it here? Thanks!

Not an anomaly report, but a question: When viewing "New content", is there any funtionality difference between clicking on the yellow "go to first unread post" icon and the "view result" (the thread headline)?

It seems like it's the same functionality, which would mean the yellow icon is redundant, but that's OK.

And it's also all right, too.

BTW, is anyone else having any problems either editing posts or with displaying quoted text?

Editing yes-particularly with links. Even coded correctly, the final links (only the last one in the post) would not show up as hyperlinks. I had to fix it by putting two close-URL brackets--a weird fix but it worked. Quoting occasionally has the same issue--getting visible HTML instead of quotes.

Editing yes-particularly with links. Even coded correctly, the final links (only the last one in the post) would not show up as hyperlinks. I had to fix it by putting two close-URL brackets--a weird fix but it worked. Quoting occasionally has the same issue--getting visible HTML instead of quotes.

If you click on "Use Full Editor," does the problem go away?

If you click on "Use Full Editor," does the problem go away?

Nope -- I was using the full editor to do the stores guide yesterday and that's where I encountered the problem. I kept eliminating whatever was the last link, and then the new "last" link in the post would fail. It was really peculiar.

If I'm writing a reply to a thread, I can only see the first 6 lines of it; the rest is obscured by a box containing editing icons. I can continue to type for as long as I want, I just can't see what I'm typing.

Yes! I have that same thing! Wasn't sure if my computer was just being wonky, but it happens both on full and fast reply.

If I'm writing a reply to a thread, I can only see the first 6 lines of it; the rest is obscured by a box containing editing icons. I can continue to type for as long as I want, I just can't see what I'm typing.

Yes! I have that same thing! Wasn't sure if my computer was just being wonky, but it happens both on full and fast reply.

I'll file a problem report with Invision - can you both tell me the operating systems and browsers you're using?

(And thanks!)