Farmers' Market at UDC

UDC's farmers' market, at 4200 Connecticut Av NW (right on top of the Van Ness metro) opened for the first time last Saturday. The market is hosted by Community Outreach and Extension Services in partnership with the Mid-Atlantic Growers and Consumers Cooperative. The market will run Saturdays, 10-2, through November. You can read more about the University's involvement in their press release.

We visited the market in its second week of operation. It's small, with one produce vendor and a baker.

We bought corn, the first heirloom tomatoes we've seen this season (and delicious!), cucumbers, bell peppers, basil, and a cantelope. They also had eggplant, watermelon, zucchini, several kinds of peppers, and I think squash and onions. The farm is located in Westmoreland County, VA.

The baker carries breads, some cakes and foccacia bread--I bought one of the foccacia and didn't love it, but the cake I sampled was tasty.

The market is located right across the street from the Van Ness Giant, so if you are shopping at the Giant on a Saturday, step across the street and check these folks out!

Thanks for the report! These UDC folk also participate in outreach programs at other farmers markets in the area. Their own, new market is news to me. Judging from the press release there is a single cooperative of growers behind the produce comprised of more than one farm.

That's interesting news; I was not aware of this new market. May I point out that it's also across the street from Calvert-Woodley? I actually shop at both that Giant and CW most Saturdays, so this is like a trifecta (not that I know what a trifecta is, except that it's like a hat-trick in having something to do with the number three, whatever a hat-trick is).

Definitely have to check it out. Though the timing and location seems to overlap quite a bit with the Yuma St. farmers market - maybe they should join forces.

If you're speaking about the market at Sheridan School run by New Morning Farm on behalf of the Tuscarora Cooperative, they have separate, but overlapping missions.

This location suits the aims of UDC Extension Program which I presume hopes to gain interest of the DC residents who take classes at the school.

Stopped by the market this morning and it's slowly growing in size. Two produce tents, a guy making cupcakes and a few other vendors. I must say, their prices are very cheap. Heirloom tomatoes at $2/lb. Grabbed a bunch, had some for lunch - wonderful. Also picked up a large bunch of basil and some peaches.

The farmers' market at UDC is reopening this Saturday on the UDC campus across the street from the Giant. Hours are 7:30 am-1:30 pm every Saturday through November.

I only went a few times last year and mostly bought tomatoes. I wonder if they'll have more vendors this year.

http://openairfarmersmarkets.blogspot.com/2010/05/district-of-columbia-udc-van-ness.html