St. Mary's County Oyster Festival

brendanc

This weekend is the two day us oyster festival in St. Mary's County

oyster fest

Part County Fair, tractor pull you know, part celebration of traditional Southern Maryland foodways, I have always had a good time in the past. Me and My crew are going to try and makwe an early Saturday run to down some bi-valves on Saturday.

Th shucking championships are sunday and spectators ghet to eat all those swiftly shucked oysters.

I am definitely going with a group of friends.   This will be my first time, but I've wanted to go for years.  It will be my consolation for not being able to attend the oyster riot.

Too bad you missed last Saturday's Taste of Georgetown:

1) 3.67 inches of rain recorded at Reagan airport (breaking the preciptation record for October 8th)

2) Police hassled people trying to pull up in cars to transport stuff to their booths

3) Health department shows up and starts checking food temperatures and writing citations

Too bad you missed last Saturday's Taste of Georgetown:

1) 3.67 inches of rain recorded at Reagan airport (breaking the preciptation record for October 8th)

2) Police hassled people trying to pull up in cars to transport stuff to their booths

3) Health department shows up and starts checking food temperatures and writing citations

I don't regret missing the Taste, but I do kind of regret missing the Cap City Oktoberfest. At least there you can drown your drowned sorrows in good beer. I can stand being soaked if it serves a higher purpose :lol:

I drove an hour to Howard County Community college at 5:30 in the morning for the supposed start to the Tour of Hope ride...which was cancelled. It took us almost 2 hours to get home since 495 was closed at exit 31 due to an accident. Ended up at Boulevard Woodgrill at 11:00 for a few Bloody's and some food. It was a seriously wet weekend.

Did anybody make it to the St. Mary's Oyster Festival?

There is another popular oyster festival coming up Nov. 4-5 (Friday and Saturday), this one in Virginia. The

Urbanna Oyster Festival includes such classic Americana as a firemens' parade and a festival parade, crowning of the Festival Queen, a Firemens' Dance, oyster shucking contest and lots of music and crafts. The whole town is closed to traffic during the day on Saturday while the festival takes over. slurp slurp

My husband entered the amatuer shucking contest a few years back. DNF. Sad really, but they pass around the freshly shucked oysters (after judging) to the crowd in the stands (for free).

Also, check out the Circle C oyster ranch booth. They harvest them fresh each day from their floats and serve them up. They ran out while we were there, but just went down the road to pull more. IIRC, they're done on the grill and served one of 2 sauces.

Also, a southern Maryland classic is the scalded oyster. IIRC, that is what they serve at the Optomist's stand. Also, there should be some classic stuffed ham sandwiches for another tasty treat.

http://www.oysterranching.com/background.html

...the annual St. Mary's Oyster Festival.

http://www.usoysterfest.com/

We went there years ago and it was a low-key event with plenty of different ways to eat oysters. Our favorite preparation involved dredging in cornmeal and frying.

Who's going, who's going?

I'll be there Saturday, after seven years of schedule collisions that prevented me from partaking. I hope it's as stellar as I remember, ridiculously fresh and interesting preparations in a family-friendly, festively casual setting.

Who's going, who's going?

I'll be there Saturday, after seven years of schedule collisions that prevented me from partaking. I hope it's as stellar as I remember, ridiculously fresh and interesting preparations in a family-friendly, festively casual setting.

Wait -- the 17th is Saturday. What days is it?

(I'm proctoring practice SATs anyway, I can't go. And now I resent those kids. Ha.)

Wait -- the 17th is Saturday. What days is it?

It's Saturday and Sunday. Saturday has the oyster cooking competitions and Sunday is the actual shucking championships (winner goes to worlds in Galway, Ireland). Oyster vendors (raw, grilled, scalded, stew, etc.) are around both days. If you stick around late enough on Sunday you can score some cheap bushels to do with what you wish.

It's Saturday and Sunday. Saturday has the oyster cooking competitions and Sunday is the actual shucking championships (winner goes to worlds in Galway, Ireland). Oyster vendors (raw, grilled, scalded, stew, etc.) are around both days. If you stick around late enough on Sunday you can score some cheap bushels to do with what you wish.

We had a Low Country Oyster Roast for our rehearsal dinner, and I really wish there'd been something in the ketubah (ha! shellfish and Jews...oy) that said we had to do that every year ... or weekend. Can't believe how long it's been.

I may have to find a way to get to this event Sunday...

A few silly photos and a brief update from today's event...

Due to the rain, crowds were around 1/3 of expected volume. Which meant no waiting lines at any of the food booths.

Which translated into seriously overeating grilled, chowder, fried, scalded, and stewed sensations. The best thing about this festival is not just the volume of variety but the unmistakable freshness of every single bivalve. No avante guarde, microgreen-laced, sous vide anywhere to be found. Festival flavors are simple, clean, sometimes bold, but always honoring the optimal quality oysters.

Solomon's Island Winery's red wine hot chocolate was the sleeper hit of the festival. Richly rewarding and shockingly sublime, we kept finding new excuses to wander back to their booth.

All this *and* I got a free mud mask for my feet on the walk back to the car. It was more than worth the powerwash shoe session to enjoy seafood like this.

Keep an eye out for next year. It will be the 43rd annual edition of salty brines, local wines, and great times.

http://www.usoysterfest.com/

post-5654-125590773938_thumb.jpg

post-5654-125590774997_thumb.jpg

It's baaaaack.

This year's festival is October 15th and 16th.

Link to the St. Mary's Oyster Festival Website

By posting this now, I am hoping to prevent horrific realizations like I had this morning when I read this post and learned about missing a day trip-distance festival that happened the previous weekend.

Monster_Crying_Blue_Mushroom.png poor sad mushroom miss, but in the meantime

canstock6475961.jpg

(clippy)

(art)

(quotamax)