Restaurant Week Summer 2009

The dates for this summer's DC Restaurant Week were just released. Mark your calendars for Monday, August 24 to Sunday, August 30.

Participating restaurants have not been released yet, but stay tuned! Some regulars include: 1789, Ardeo, Cafe Atlantico, Circle Bistro, Dino, and Vermilion.

Don't forget that some restaurants even extend their restaurant weeks for one week or up to an entire month!

SEE: http://www.examiner.com/x-6895-DC-Restaurant-Examiner~y2009m7d24-Restaurant-Week

Please note how the Restaurant Association again plays to the hands of the biggies who offer restaurant week for only the one week itself. Restaurant Week is 2 weeks later this year, making it harder for the restaurants that extend their promotions because of its nearness to Labor day.

Another opinion on Restaurant Week...do you share it?

http://internetfoodassociation.com/2009/07/28/against-restaurant-week/

I think you have to do restaurant week "smart". If you don't, you end up with the experience the author describes. By smart, I mean find restaurants that are offering their full or nearly full menu instead of an anemic menu with only 2 or 3 choices per course. Look for restaurants where the entree prices are high enough to make the 3-course meal a deal, and places that offer desserts you would actually want to try were it not restaurant week. Finally, there are plenty of sources for reviews of restaurants' performances in previous restaurant weeks - look for ones that rate well among diners.

PS 7's would actually be one of my recommendations ironically - it's how I fell in love with the restaurant and they offer their full menu I believe (maybe with an optional upcharge on a dish or two). They're also extending their restaurant week for the 2 weeks prior. My RW experience with Mendocino was also memorable, but that was years ago. Last year's Oval Room was a disappointment, but our group seemed to be the minority opinion (there were 6 of all who all left disappointed though).

I think the longer you dine at higher quality restaurants here, the more difficult it is to find satisfying RW experiences, but I think they are out there. If nothing else, it's an excuse to convince my friends to join me for a night out.

I think you have to do restaurant week "smart". If you don't, you end up with the experience the author describes. By smart, I mean find restaurants that are offering their full or nearly full menu instead of an anemic menu with only 2 or 3 choices per course.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There have been quite a few restaurants that I was introduced to by way of restaurant week (Vidalia, PS7, 1789 to name a few). While some offered better RW Menu's than others, by and by large there was something I experienced at each meal that made me want to go back or recommend it to a friend. Additionally, from a value perspective, I don't get wrapped up in whether or not I'm going to save a few bucks here and there...instead I look at it as a reason to convince a few friends to join me at a restaurant that we haven't tried yet in my quest to continuously add new places into my (and their) repertoire. At the end of the day, I think it serves as a decent enough driver to get people out of their comfort zones in the name of saving money based on how the week is advertised (regardless of them doing so or not when the bill comes).

Another opinion on Restaurant Week...do you share it?

http://internetfoodassociation.com/2009/07/28/against-restaurant-week/

Yes an no. Terrible examples in that article--Sarah's salad and the trout are two of the cheapest things on the menu. Otherwise, I agree. Service almost always suffers and quality often does as well. Still, I think it's worth it because the places that do RW well tend to do real life even better.

I think I am rather ambivalent about Restaurant Week. Most of the places I would not mind going an extra time "on the cheap" do not participate in RW. On the other hand, during RW I have lunch with old friends that I would not see otherwise, RW serves as a reminder to drop everything else and catch up with old friends. We usually choose a different place each time, and come to think of it, I have never returned to a restaurant I visited during RW.

I wonder what kind of experiences other people have. Skipper

Hey Rockers ~ I have worked REALLY hard compiling all the Restaurant week menus.

I have been updating them several times daily.

I have included in the DC Restaurant Week Menu Roundup:

15 Ria (lunch and dinner)

2941 - offering two separate 3 course prix fixe lunch menus throughout the entire month of August. (lunch only for Aug.3-14); (lunch only for Aug. 17-28)

Acadiana - Offering a special restaurant week lunch and dinner menus for first and third courses. Acadiana is proud to continue their tradition of offering any entrée on their current lunch or dinner menu as second course.

Art and Soul Restaurant (lunch and dinner) - Executive Chef Travis Timberlake is offering many of his excellent dishes that are available on the regular lunch and dinner menu. This is an excellent way to sampe his extraordinary cuisine at an exceptional value.

Bangkok Joe's (lunch and dinner)

Bastille (dinner only)

Blacksalt (lunch)

Cafe Dupont (lunch and dinner)

Cafe Promenade (lunch and dinner)

Ceiba - Offering restaurant week lunch and dinner menus. Ceiba is proud to continue their tradition of offering any entrée on their regular lunch or dinner menu.

Chef Geoff's - The Chef Geoff's restaurants offer their full menu during DC Restaurant Week. See each location's menus at the Chef Geoff's web site.

Columbia Firehouse - The new Columbia Firehouse which just opened on July 20th, plans to participate in this year's Restaurant week by offering both lunch and dinner menu options. Chose from one of three appetizers such as the Goat Cheese Grit Cakes with Shaved Fennel & Ancho Chili Aioli and choice of main courses such as Roast Rack of Pork, Pan Roasted Amish Chicken Breast, or Hawaiian Escolar.

Dino (dinner only) offers entire menu from August 1 - September 13; $35.09 includes a free glass of house infused grappa, or moscato to end your meal.

DC Coast - Offering a special restaurant week lunch and dinner menus for first and third courses. DC Coast is proud to continue their tradition of offering any entrée on their current lunch and dinner menus for first and third courses. lunch or dinner menu as second course.

Hook - Hook will also be extending Restaurant Week for an additional week. Desserts are subject to change. Offering (lunch and dinner)

Ici Urban Bistro - will also be extending Restaurant Week by offering special lunch and dinner 3 course prix fixe menus from Friday, August 21st to Tuesday, September 1st.

Il Mulino - Extending Restaurant week from August 1 through August 31 with different menus each week (menus courtesy of DCFoodies.com: Week 1; Week 2; Week 3; Week 4

Legal Sea Foods (lunch and dinner)

Lia's - (part of Bethesda Chevy Chase restaurant week from August 3rd - August 9th; enjoy Two Course Lunch $15 and Three Course Dinner $30 with 95% of the menu to choose from!

Mio - offering a 3 course prix fixe menu the entire month of August which will feature a different menu each week. (Menu for Lunch week 1 - August 1 -8; includes dishes such as Chilled Cucumber Soup and Crudo of Rockfish with Lime). (Menu for Dinner week 1 - August 1-8; includes choice of appetizers such as Chilled Cucumber Soup or Crudo of Rockfish, and for main course, entrees such as Parmesan Crusted Flounder, Amish Chicken Breast, Beef Tenderloin, or Jalapeno or Merguez Sausage.

Morton's The Steakhouse - (lunch and dinner)

Arlington (Dinner only)

Downtown DC (lunch and Dinner)

Georgetown (Dinner only)

Tysons Corner (Dinner only)

Nage - Nage DC is extending restaurant week to three weeks this year. They will be adding a preview week beginning August 17 and an encore week which will end on September 6.

Oya - offering restaurant week menu the entire month of August. For Lunch, Oya will offer their entire lunch menu; 3 course prix fixe for $20.09. Dinner is limited with an option of dessert wine for the third course.

PassionFish (lunch and dinner) A great Restaurant Week pick as they continue the tradition of offering any entrée on their regular menus while offering selected appetizers and desserts for the prix fixe menu.

Posh Supper Club (dinner) Chef Chris Willis is offering almost his entire dinner menu for the prix fixe price.

Potenza (lunch and dinner) - The left hand side of the menu is not part of restaurant week as that is the frutti di mare, salumi, formaggi and vegetable area. Guests will be able to choose from zuppe, antipasti or insalate for first course and pasta, pesce, carne or pizza for second course. Full dessert menu will be available for 3rd course.

Redwood - (lunch and dinner)

Restaurant 3 - offering the big 3: 'Good Food, Good Drink, and Good Times' for Restaurant Week and all year round (lunch and dinner)

Sei - will offer their restaurant week menu lunch and dinner the entire month of August.

TenPenh - Offering selected appetizers as first course and selected desserts for third course for lunch and dinner restaurant week menus but plans to continue their tradition of offering any entrée on their regular lunch or dinner menu as the main course. Prix fixe costs still apply; Lunch $20.09 and Dinner $35.09.

Vermilion - Rammy award winning Chef, Tony Chittum is offering some special dishes on his Restaurant Week Dinner Menu while offering some dishes that are available on his regular dinner menu.

Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro, Reston, VA (lunch and dinner)

Yaku - During the entire month of August enjoy a special four coursesummer menu prepared by Executive Chef Ismael Otarola for $35 per person. Choose one item from each section and with the main course a glass of red or white wine. Available seven nights a week after 7pm beginning Monday, August 3rd.

Zola (lunch and dinner) - offers the entire menu

I posted something similar on Chowhound last night, LOL. Dean will probably make Sichuan Pavilion dinner next week into a butt burner now.

No this is a small d democratic dinner. I think if every one orders an entree and small plate or even 2, that interests we will both explore a large bit of the menu and get out for under $20. I can see at least 30 dishes that I want to try and only half are spicy.

No this is a small d democratic dinner.

Ok, I'm going for the "Whole Fish in Sichuan Hot Sauce." It's on their lunch special menu (#20) but they can't possibly give you a whole fish for $6.95. Strangely it's not on their normal menu. This is a dish that I think will test their seafood skills. When done properly, it's very flavorful as it's braised with fermented beans with a little spiciness to it - if done improperly, the fish will be fishy and not much else.

Another interesting dish would be the baby bok choy with preserved egg on top (#16 under vegetables). This will be fun!

My husband is coming from Florida to visit me this weekend. Rasika is his absolutely favorite restaurant. But because of RW, it is all booked up. If anyone has a reservation there between Friday lunchtime through Monday lunchtime (his flight leaves Monday evening) and is unable to make your reservation, please, please PM me. I would be so eternally grateful.

Peace & Blessings,

LaShanta