Standing Mixers

thistle

I've had my Kitchen Aid mixer for almost 30 years, and it gives no indication that it is on the decline. As far as accessories go, as long as you have the standard power take-off on the front of the motor housing, it doesn't matter what size capacity the mixer bowl has. So if you buy a pasta cutter, juicer, meat grinder, grain mill or other accessory unit that fits into the standard slot you can use them on a new machine, if you ever get one.

I just came across this thread because I liked the subtitle (not because I own a standing mixer, as I don't). But then, after just reading to the 2nd or 3rd post that Zora wrote more than three years ago, a question formed in my mind:

Motivated by a book I'm reading, I'm currently on the verge of buying a juicer and don't have a meat grinder or pasta cutter (both of which are possible or likely purchases down the road). As I'm much more expert at patronizing restaurants (whatever that may mean) than cooking--though I know some about kitchen technique and am interested to learn more--should I just get a stand mixer rather than all those other devices? The juicer is the thing likely to get the most use in our house with pasta cutter and meat grinder less frequent; maybe 2 or 3 times/year.

Merci.

Motivated by a book I'm reading, I'm currently on the verge of buying a juicer and don't have a meat grinder or pasta cutter (both of which are possible or likely purchases down the road). As I'm much more expert at patronizing restaurants (whatever that may mean) than cooking--though I know some about kitchen technique and am interested to learn more--should I just get a stand mixer rather than all those other devices? The juicer is the thing likely to get the most use in our house with pasta cutter and meat grinder less frequent; maybe 2 or 3 times/year.

If I'm not mistaken, the juicer attachment for the KitchenAid is a citrus juicer, not the sort of centrifugal extractor that you can use to make carrot juice. I don't have one of those citrus juicers for my KA, I have a manual juicer for the times when I need to make a lot of lime, lemon or orange juice, and a little hand-held wooden reamer for smaller jobs. It's hard to say whether it makes more sense for you to buy a KA mixer and accessories or to buy the machines separately. If you plan one day to bake cakes or bread, or whip cream or egg whites, by all means get a KA mixer. I know you can get a manual pasta machine pretty cheap, ditto on the hand meat grinder.

I have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Architect, 6 Qt. Bowl-Lift that I purchased last December. It has NEVER been used. It retails for $499.00 It appears to be on sale at Macy's for $399.00 I will sell it for $300. The link below provides the details for its features. If you are interested, please PM me. Thanks.

http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=393916&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-6-_-77-_-MP677

After watching it for years, I recently purchased a KitchenAid KP26M1PGC Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Cinnamon Gloss. Color and power were important to me, so when it finally went on sale at Amazon, I pounced. HOWEVER - my husband, who will be the main user of the KA was aghast that it doesn't have a tilt-head. I knew we would be sacrificing the tilt-head for the power of the Professional 600 series (we want to make bread. Lots of it) and didn't think it would be a big deal, but he didn't and is accordingly quite upset. Have you all found that the power and function of the 600 series KAs make up for the inconvenience of the lack of tilt head? I'm fineish with sending it back, but we are considering whether to keep it (it IS here already, and is SO shiny and beautiful and could make SO many cookies). Does the lack of tilt head drive you crazy? Or even the idea of the lack of tilt head make you mad? Will the other models (with a tilt head) do the job for bigger batches of bread? Opinions and testimonials needed!

Tell him that the tilt-head model is the smaller, lighter-weight version for light-weight cooks. All serious cooks use the heavy-duty version of the machine that levers the bowl up and down, which is modeled after the big huge old Hobart machines that are used in bakeries (the KA machine was originally made by Hobart). He'll get used to it, and he will come to appreciate the heavier duty motor and the larger bowl capacity. I've had my lever-up machine for at least 30 years and wouldn't trade down for the tilt-head model if you paid me.

Does the lack of tilt head drive you crazy? Or even the idea of the lack of tilt head make you mad? Will the other models (with a tilt head) do the job for bigger batches of bread? Opinions and testimonials needed!

My Mom has an old tilt-head (in 70's avocado green), and the head bounces with bread dough and makes a somewhat annoying or frightening sound, depending on your mood. The lever model is both more stable and holds more dough. I've made loads of bread in both, and I would not trade my lever model for Mom's tilt head, even though hers was made by Hobart. Those were the days.

I would recommend getting the plastic, two-piece shield that keeps flour from flying out of the machine and allows you to add ingredients much more easily via a pouring platform/slanted area. The two-piece model is best because you can attach it while the mixer is running.

After watching it for years, I recently purchased a KitchenAid KP26M1PGC Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Cinnamon Gloss. Color and power were important to me, so when it finally went on sale at Amazon, I pounced. HOWEVER - my husband, who will be the main user of the KA was aghast that it doesn't have a tilt-head. I knew we would be sacrificing the tilt-head for the power of the Professional 600 series (we want to make bread. Lots of it) and didn't think it would be a big deal, but he didn't and is accordingly quite upset. Have you all found that the power and function of the 600 series KAs make up for the inconvenience of the lack of tilt head? I'm fineish with sending it back, but we are considering whether to keep it (it IS here already, and is SO shiny and beautiful and could make SO many cookies). Does the lack of tilt head drive you crazy? Or even the idea of the lack of tilt head make you mad? Will the other models (with a tilt head) do the job for bigger batches of bread? Opinions and testimonials needed!

We kept it! Mostly through sheer laziness, as I didn't remind him to return it, he...sort of forgot (mwahahaha), and now it's past the return date. We didn't end up baking this holiday season (vanilla sugar for kitchen gifts instead) and the issue fell by the wayside, but now I can install it in all of its glory. Yay! Thanks all - I like to think your testimonials aided the forgetting process.

Have others had their Kitchen Aid mixer go tits up? Mine's only about 6-8 years old, I'd guess, and some gears are stripped. It happened while kneading a basic pizza dough, but I know I'd had some weird noises in the past but it's worked fine after that. Not anymore.

In case anyone's wondering, the closest repair center is in Richmond. If you don't want to drive, you can call Kitchen Aid (the number's on the mixer), pay $33 for a box and shipping costs there and back and $25 for diagnostics. If you OK the repair, they waive the $25. Normal charges are $40-170 depending on the number of gears that need replacement. If I think of it, and if anyone gives a rat's ass, I'll let you know what it costs to repair ours.

We kept it! Mostly through sheer laziness, as I didn't remind him to return it, he...sort of forgot (mwahahaha), and now it's past the return date. We didn't end up baking this holiday season (vanilla sugar for kitchen gifts instead) and the issue fell by the wayside, but now I can install it in all of its glory. Yay! Thanks all - I like to think your testimonials aided the forgetting process.

You won't regret it. I have used both and much prefer the larger KA. The bowl attachment is a good investment.

Tell him that the tilt-head model is the smaller, lighter-weight version for light-weight cooks. All serious cooks use the heavy-duty version of the machine that levers the bowl up and down, which is modeled after the big huge old Hobart machines that are used in bakeries (the KA machine was originally made by Hobart). He'll get used to it, and he will come to appreciate the heavier duty motor and the larger bowl capacity. I've had my lever-up machine for at least 30 years and wouldn't trade down for the tilt-head model if you paid me.

Aaaaand we have a convert. He loves that fact that our "manly mixer" can keep up with his current pizza obsession. The pitch of the motor has never really changed, despite the increasing loads of dough we throw at it. LOVE :wub: Next up, we will learn to use the pasta attachment!

• Like 1