2001 Rust en Vrede Estate Stellenbosch

Joe H

I bought this South African four or more years ago and put away two cases of it. Tonight, I opened my first bottle: it is a glorious wine!! Just absolutely superb this evening. For a wine that retailed for about $35 list then (and $28 at discount) tonight it is every bit a $200+ wine. 53% cab, 35% shiraz, 12% merlot and, I think, 18 months of barrel.

Once in a while buying a wine and putting it away for several years can pay real dividends. This is one of those times.

I'd love to see and taste more South African wines around here. I was unlucky in my visits to Stellenbosch (I didn't want to drive from Cape Town and my tour went the commercial estate route), but my dinner wines, and even the bottles I picked up at Woolworth's (shut up--it's the Harris Teeter of SA) were very nice. Yet I rarely see them on lists and never see them as pairings at tasting dinners. In fact, the sommelier at Per Se told us that he loved a lot of what was coming out of there, but frankly, his clientele didn't want to see South Africa on a list. What restaurants or wine shops are really highlighting, and knowledgeable about, some of the gorgeous South Africans?

Wegman's also carries it. The largest selection of SA wines that I have seen are from the Wine Chateau www.winechateau.com

who list almost 300 on their website. The Wine Chateau is in northern NJ and have one day Fed Ex Ground shipping into Northern VA with at least 25% off on everything. Rust en Vrede is $32.69 (30+ % off) if you buy six bottles + shipping. http://www.winechateau.com/vsku1522924.html