Potbelly Sandwich Works - a Chicago-Based Sub Shop with Hundreds of Locations Nationwide, and Nearly $400 Million in Annual Revenue

Had I known this post would lead to a public flogging, I guess I would have rethought posting anything but the essential details. Will keep it in mind for future posts...

This is along the same lines as the "Is it ok to criticize certain restaurants thread?". This is a great board, HOWEVER, some people feel the need to lash out / overreact when they see a post that doesn't quite fit into their narrowly defined definition of what is good and proper in the DC food/restaurant world......

Golden ticket ate at a chain.....big deal

Someone didn't like a certain restaurant that most people love.....big deal

I'm reminded of the scene in The Life of Brian where he yells at the crowd "You're all individuals" and the all reply in unison "Yes, we're all individuals" :lol:

I'm reminded of the scene in The Life of Brian where he yells at the crowd "You're all individuals" and the all reply in unison "Yes, we're all individuals"  :lol:

I'm reminded of the scene in Life of Brian where Brian yells to the crowd who followed him into the desert, "Aww, PISS OFF!"

That is a sad statement right there. Potbelly, yuck! How could the bread be worse than Potbelly's WonderBread type rolls?

Is that their default white rolls? I always get wheat and haven't found them offensive. Not great, but not synthetically chemical WonderBread bad. What this town really needs is a Jimmy John's! The one in College Park is not close enough to me ...

I think their sandwiches are good and cheap for lunch!

How could the bread be worse than Potbelly's? It could be Subway's or Quizno's or Blimpie's.

I had one on Tuesday. I'll go out on a limb and say they are the best sandwiches served on long rolls with your choice of toppings coming from any chain sandwich shop.

How could the bread be worse than Potbelly's? It could be Subway's or Quizno's or Blimpie's.

I had one on Tuesday. I'll go out on a limb and say they are the best sandwiches served on long rolls with your choice of toppings coming from any chain sandwich shop.

Anything is better than Subway or Quizno's. I still can't get over those rat commericals, to ever eat at Quizino's again.

I think their sandwiches are good and cheap for lunch!
My first and (to date) only Potbelly experience: I got stuck trying to solve a problem at work and was running late for the theatre. I knew I had 30 minutes to grab something to eat and ride Metro the four stops to be on time. Although I had never eaten at Potbelly, I figured I could grab Big Jack’s PB&J and be out the door in no time. Really, how long does it take throw some Jiff and Smuckers on two slices of bread? Answer: enough time to throw off my schedule and force me to take a cab to Penn Quarter!

Granted, it was huge: enough for two (it was at this point I found out my date is allergic to wheat) or next day’s breakfast. But come on! 15 minutes! Puh-leeze!

Is that their default white rolls? I always get wheat and haven't found them offensive. Not great, but not synthetically chemical WonderBread bad. What this town really needs is a Jimmy John's! The one in College Park is not close enough to me ...

I saw a sign for a Jimmy John's in Columbia the other day.....coming soon. What exactly is it?

I'm not a big fan of a heated up PB&J, but that's why I never order one of those at Potbelly's. It's not gourmet, but I think it's pretty damn good for a sub shop in DC. And I agree that their hot peppers are delish. I haven't been in quite a while now that I think about it, but their milkshakes and smoothies are pretty good on a warm day.

My only qualm with Potbelly has been an overwhelming frequency of getting very veiny/tendon-y (which usually leads to chewy conclusions) roast beef. I don't like taking a bite and inadvertently dragging half the meat of the sandwich out with it. I also think they desperately need a grilled chicken sandwich to augment their meatball and cold-cut ones. I do like the sensation you get after eating one of their sandwiches - you don't *think* it's going to fill you up, but it does.

I would like to heartily endorse Potbelly's Chicken Salad Salad, especially when served with their creamy vinaigrette house dressing. You get a bed of romaine lettuce, chicken salad, dried cranberries, provolone cheese, cucumber slices, and grape tomatoes. A wonderful dish for $5.29 plus tax.

Both of the Potbellys (or would it be Potbellies?) in Penn Quarter are packed every day, lines out the door and everything. The crowds alone turn me off, but then I'm also not a fan of the toasted sandwich. It must be me though, because my coworkers will happily wait on line there several times a week.

I asked them to make me a toasted cheese sandwich once, thinking I was making it easier on them. They were really really confused. "Just cheese?" "Toasted? You want it toasted?"

But the milkshakes and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, as others have mentioned, are pretty damn good.

Given that my other nearby lunch options are the USDA cafeteria, Cafe Mozu or the deli inside the FCC building, I find myself at the Potbelly's that recently opened next to the Mandarin Oriental probably three times a week. Even though the line is nearly out the door half the time, they do an admirable job of getting everyone their sandwich in about 10 minutes. The sandwiches are a huge step above Subway and Quizno's, and the sandwich makers are fun and friendly to boot. And I'll second (third?) the praise for the peppers and the oatmeal cookies.

the sandwich makers are fun and friendly to boot.
I have no idea how they do it but every Potbellies I have been to (maybe 8-9 in 3-4 states) have all had the most friendly, helpful, and seemingly happy to be at work staff I have ever seen working in retail or fast food. And it's not even close. I just don't get it. What are they doing that other places aren't? Tougher screening, mandatory ecstasy use, "re-education" seminars?

I have no idea how they do it but every Potbellies I have been to (maybe 8-9 in 3-4 states) have all had the most friendly, helpful, and seemingly happy to be at work staff I have ever seen working in retail or fast food. And it's not even close. I just don't get it. What are they doing that other places aren't? Tougher screening, mandatory ecstasy use, "re-education" seminars?

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

Kidding aside, speaking as someone who worked for them for three years, two of them having my own store as a General Manager, their secret is very simple. They believe in taking care of their people so that their people in turn take care of their customers. Seems like the simplest concept, but it's amazing how many people don't seem to get it. When I came on board there were seven stores in the DC area. I joined their team after having managed full service restaurants for years, and I was looking for a position with daytime hours. But I quickly learned they were a good match for my personality in that they really wanted you to have fun at work. When I took on my own store I saw it as my personal responsibility to create a fun, enjoyable environment for my staff to work in every day. And I think our regular customers could feel this on the other side of the counter. It is extremely difficult to keep employees who are making $7-10/hr motivated to take a line-out-the-door butt kicking on a daily basis. Showing interest in employees as people, asking them about their weekends or finding out what kind of movies or music they like, seeing pictures of and sometimes meeting their children and families made them feel like I truly cared about them as people, which I did (and still do).

I've since gone back to full service restaurants of a different caliber, but I can honestly say those three years I worked for them I learned so much about the importance of taking care of your people. Regardless of how anyone feels about chains, corporate blah blah nonsense, I just can't view that as a negative thing.

• Like 1

Its a good, quick, cheap sandwich. I love the meatball. I wish the help was friendlier, but that's the way it is now a days. Only been to the one at the Reston Town Center but at least it was good and hot.

I have to say the best Pot belly is in Annapolis where the Whole foods market is and the movie theater. The name of the plaza escapes me but its right by the Annapolis Mall. Potbelly is one of my favorite's and the help is poor in DC because:

Potbelly does not franchise except in DC-so they are really not operated by the main potbelly as are the others outside DC.

One nice and simple thing about Potbelly is that the tables and chairs aren't bolted to the floor.

I've had a few occasions being out with extended family - my sisters and their husbands/kids, and we make a pretty big crew. Potbelly has something for most everyone, it is clean tasting and simple, and we can pull a few tables together.

I hope the fact that the DC stores are franchised doesn't slowly impact the consistency of the brand and food served. Of course I'm sure they have a team working on it, complete with focus groups and double blind studies.

It sounds like csirwillis is saying the franchised ones in DC proper are not as "friendly" as those outside of DC but still in the region, but it also seems to be in response to fosterrc saying that the Reston branch is not very friendly (definitely outside of DC). That in conjunction with the fact that I've never had a problem at the 19th & L Potbelly and actually have had better service there than the one in Silver Spring, seems to prove nothing.

(kudos if anyone really understood that thought...I may have to edit it tomorrow when I'm more awake :angry:)

A "coming soon" sign was painted on the windows at 11th and K St NW recently. Seems strange with the Tesla dealership right around the corner: $100,000 vehicle and $5 sandwich. Not to mention Againn and Beck nearby. A welcome addition, nonetheless, as otherwise, there is only Cosi nearby at 13th and K.

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, they are often called pizza-cheesesteaks, and LTM is, from my experience, the norm.

I have usually requested marinara on my Santini's cheesesteaks instead of LTM, and that's the one I refer to on the previous page (they've always done it without question - in fact they have a fairly similar sandwich on their menu called a "Bogey").

I've been getting the "Wrecking Ball" at Potbelly.  You'd probably like it, Don.  It's their Wreck, only with meatballs (don't let them short-change you on them - there should be 4-5 cut in halves and placed along the breadth of the sub, or broken into loose meat and spread) and marinara.  It's like a meatball and a toasted cold cut sub all in one.  Definitely good for a quick/easy take-away dinner, especially in "Big" form.  The "Sicilian" as well.

https://ownthemeal.com/secret-menu/potbelly/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Destruya said:

I've been getting the "Wrecking Ball" at Potbelly.  You'd probably like it, Don.  It's their Wreck, only with meatballs (don't let them short-change you on them - there should be 4-5 cut in halves and placed along the breadth of the sub, or broken into loose meat and spread) and marinara.  It's like a meatball and a toasted cold cut sub all in one.  Definitely good for a quick/easy take-away dinner, especially in "Big" form.  The "Sicilian" as well.

https://ownthemeal.com/secret-menu/potbelly/

From my most-recent experiences (a couple of years ago), Potbelly was the best national-chain sub shop. I'm filing this away for future use - thanks, Destruya.

I'll have to admit that potbelly is on my regular lunch rotation. I get the wreck with no cheese, extra tomatoes and "everything'". It's pretty good as are the chocolate shakes which I now cannot enjoy. 

Also, the 17&L location downtown is quite friendly with the same staff, more or less, staying for quite some time. 

I like Potbelly too.  Pro-tip: this time of year, they offer a deal where they give you a free sandwich coupon if you buy a $25 gift card.  Given that I go there frequently, and that the gift cards don't expire, I usually buy $100 or $125 worth of gift cards, and get 4 or 5 free sandwiches from it.

On 5/22/2008 at 9:53 AM, karenapple said:

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.

Kidding aside, speaking as someone who worked for them for three years, two of them having my own store as a General Manager, their secret is very simple. They believe in taking care of their people so that their people in turn take care of their customers. Seems like the simplest concept, but it's amazing how many people don't seem to get it. When I came on board there were seven stores in the DC area. I joined their team after having managed full service restaurants for years, and I was looking for a position with daytime hours. But I quickly learned they were a good match for my personality in that they really wanted you to have fun at work. When I took on my own store I saw it as my personal responsibility to create a fun, enjoyable environment for my staff to work in every day. And I think our regular customers could feel this on the other side of the counter. It is extremely difficult to keep employees who are making $7-10/hr motivated to take a line-out-the-door butt kicking on a daily basis. Showing interest in employees as people, asking them about their weekends or finding out what kind of movies or music they like, seeing pictures of and sometimes meeting their children and families made them feel like I truly cared about them as people, which I did (and still do).

I've since gone back to full service restaurants of a different caliber, but I can honestly say those three years I worked for them I learned so much about the importance of taking care of your people. Regardless of how anyone feels about chains, corporate blah blah nonsense, I just can't view that as a negative thing.

I had no idea that Potbelly had items better than other similar chains.  Yes I've eaten there.  No I guess I didn't pay attention.  For lunches I'll often go to places like this.  They are fast, affordable, and frankly I still work.  I want to eat quickly.  In the midst of a working day It's often distracting to be focused on food delicacies. 

Now I'll have to try the peppers at the very least.  Plus I'm a sucker for a meatball sandwich.  Thanks for the above comments.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:44 PM, Mark Dedrick said:

I have definitely enjoyed Potbelly from time to time, but I attribute that mostly to their peppers. I think putting those on anything would make me enjoy it. 

I am not afraid to admit that when my offices brings in a catered lunch, I will have some extra peppers as a side, and take home the leftovers.  I have often stayed up at night thinking about the peppers!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 5:21 PM, pras said:

I am not afraid to admit that when my offices brings in a catered lunch, I will have some extra peppers as a side, and take home the leftovers.  I have often stayed up at night thinking about the peppers!

On 12/8/2017 at 5:20 PM, sandynva said:

Like the others, I love the peppers. I keep meaning to buy a jar and just use it on plain cheese sandwiches 

I bow to both of you and others who love those peppers.  Way too hot for me