dr.com 2009 Autumn Picnic

agm

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're just a week away from the picnic! For those of you who might be curious given this weekend's weather, we are on, rain or shine. I have been assured that there is shelter, and who minds a little chill and drizzle if there's all this magnificent sustenance? :(

• leleboo +1 (?) -- tuscan chicken-liver pate w/crostini; drippy pickled shrimp; maybe an orzo salad w/roasted artichoke hearts and pine nuts
  • Scott Johnston and cucas87 +1 -- veggie torte; eggs (deviled, I believe); nametags, tablecloths, serveware, first aid kit
  • JPW -- wine
  • jparrot -- wine
  • goodeats +1 -- crab rangoon; some form of dessert
  • dancole42 +1
  • thistle +3 (I think?) -- pulled pork; a veggie side dish; propane grill, camp tables, canopy
  • GennaroE -- Suppli al Telefono
  • lackadaisi +2
  • hm212 +2
  • DanielK +3 -- soccer stuff!
  • TheMatt -- pressure-cooker cheesecakes
  • Kibbee Nayee +1
  • via Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- possible surprise dish; deep-fryer and paraphernalia
  • scottmfleming + 1 -- rosemary crackers with goat cheese and sausage
  • KMango +1
  • MCHoroscope +1 -- gumbo
  • Merry Mary
  • ol_ironstomach
  • SteveR +1 (from Brooklyn!)
  • LaShanta +1 -- pumpkin cake, sweet potato pie
  • via Shannon Overmiller of The Majestic -- surprise dish, veg/grain
  • via Rachael Harriman of Sou'Wester -- fried chicken
  • goldenticket +1
  • Rovers2000

Here's a breakdown by course and dish.

Hors d'oeuvres/finger foods:

deviled eggs

rosemary crackers w/goat cheese and sausage

tuscan chicken-liver crostini

pickled shrimp

crab rangoon

suppli al telefono

Mains -- meat/fish:

pulled pork

gumbo

fried chicken

Sides/Miscellaneous:

orzo with roasted artichokes and pignoli

veggie torte

undecided veggie side

Dessert:

cheesecake

pumpkin cake

sweet potato pie

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want/have time to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. We also need beverages, particularly of the kid-friendly variety -- according to my count, we have about 8-10 kids coming at this point; more tableware (recycled or reusable definitely welcome); and toys/games that would be fun to have at a picnic. Please post here or to PM me if you have any questions/concerns/requests about food, drink, or transportation! ~Leigh

[*]via Rachael Harriman of Sou'Wester -- fried chicken

I think we should beg petition for hush puppies in addition to fried chicken (or even instead of? they're that good). Despite the fact that their presence would probably lead to neglect of my Suppli, I'd happily pay an exorbitant sum to get my hands on a batch next Sunday.

I think we should beg petition for hush puppies in addition to fried chicken (or even instead of? they're that good). Despite the fact that their presence would probably lead to neglect of my Suppli, I'd happily pay an exorbitant sum to get my hands on a batch next Sunday.

[Given that she's not doing these à la minute -- i.e., she won't be in attendance -- I think Rachael felt the chicken would hold up better to travel. Of course, don't let that stop you from your (ahem) petition! :( ]

A few little updates to the list:

KMango will be visiting the farmer's market Sunday morning and making whatever inspiration results from that (vegetarian but not vegan, most likely) and is also on the hook for some eco-friendly plates and cups -- awwww yeeeeah!

DanCole42 is also going to take inspiration from the market. If I were a betting woman, though, I'd wager his dish would include bacon. :(

Rovers2000 is stepping it up with non-alcoholic beverages galore, both kid-friendly and seasonal (homemade cocoa, and cider, both warm and chilled). Also, big props here, as he's the one who has so graciously volunteered to give the suppli al telefono -- er, I mean, our very own multitalented GennaroE -- conveyance to Fort Hunt Park.

Who's hungry? I know I am!

We're driving to the picnic after a couple of days in Baltimore, so bringing DiFara pizza from Brooklyn is out. It doesnt travel well and, if it did, I'd eat it waaaay before I got to the picnic. Anyone know of anything in Baltimore that we should bring? I'm sure that we'll find something. Looking forward to it.

We're driving to the picnic after a couple of days in Baltimore, so bringing DiFara pizza from Brooklyn is out. It doesnt travel well and, if it did, I'd eat it waaaay before I got to the picnic. Anyone know of anything in Baltimore that we should bring? I'm sure that we'll find something. Looking forward to it.

How about a batch of pit beef from Pulaski Highway? Sunday is the perfect day to pick it up since, as John Waters observed, that's the day the food inspectors are off.

My husband's visiting cousins, who were supposed to arrive mid-day Saturday and leave Sunday morning, informed him that they'd rather not drive home to NJ in the Sunday traffic, so they'll be staying over until Monday. I only found out about it after he told them it was OK. :(:P:D

Seems to me like you should just bring the whole crew to the picnic...

Weather forecast for Sunday: 62 and sunny. Perfect for a fall picnic!!

• leleboo -- tuscan chicken-liver pate w/crostini; drippy pickled shrimp; orzo salad w/roasted artichoke hearts and pine nuts
  • Scott Johnston and cucas87 +1 -- veggie torte; deviled eggs; nametags, tablecloths, serveware, first aid kit
  • JPW – wine
  • goodeats +1 -- crab rangoon; azuki bean soup
  • dancole42 +1 – something market-inspired
  • thistle +3 (I think?) -- pulled pork; a veggie side dish; propane grill, camp tables, canopy
  • GennaroE -- Suppli al Telefono
  • legant +4
  • hm212 +2 – chocolate-chip brownies
  • DanielK +3 -- soccer stuff!
  • TheMatt -- pressure-cooker cheesecakes
  • Kibbee Nayee +kiddos (?)
  • via Chef Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- surprise dish (possibly with bacon?); deep-fryer and concomitant paraphernalia
  • KMango +1 – market-inspired, veggie (not vegan) and side-dish-y; eco-friendly tableware/cups
  • Merry Mary
  • ol_ironstomach
  • via Chef Shannon Overmiller of The Majestic -- two vegetable/grain-based casseroles
  • via Chef Rachael Harriman of Sou'Wester -- fried chicken
  • goldenticket +1
  • Rovers2000 – beverages galore of the non-alcoholic type. And giving GennaroE a ride! Yay
  • StephenB +1 – something appetizer-ish
  • Pat +1 – veggie/grain/bean salad;baked good of some sort;cheese (yes please!)

Here's a breakdown by course and dish.

deviled eggs

pickled shrimp

crab rangoon

suppli al telefono

Mains -- meat/fish:

pulled pork

gumbo

fried chicken

Sides/Miscellaneous:

veggie torte

undecided veggie side (3-4)

Beverages

hot cocoa

cider (mulled and not)

wine

water

Dessert:

cheesecakes (various)

pumpkin cake

sweet potato pie

chocolate chip brownies

azuki bean soup

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want/have time to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. We also need beverages, particularly of the kid-friendly variety; more tableware (recycled or reusable definitely welcome); and toys/games that would be fun to have at a picnic. ETA: Rovers2000 wonders if anyone has a big Coleman (or similar type) cooler he could borrow.

Just post or PM me if you have any questions.

I cannot wait to see/meet this awesome group of picnic-goers!! ~Leigh

Edited by leleboo

It looks like I won't be doing the cheesecakes. An examination of the gasket to my pressure cooker has made me shelve it until a replacement arrives in who knows how many days. Nertz.

I'm still thinking about what I might bring. Probably still a dessert of some kind. Maybe some peanut butter cookies my Grandma used to make. Still, sorry it's not cheesecake.

The Marine Corps Marathon is Sunday. This is one list of road closures I've come across. Knowing closures in advance should minimize driving frustration for picnic-goers :(

Thank you so much, Pat! It looks like the GWP will reopen several hours before the picnic starts, so as long as people coming out of or through the District can avoid the closed surface streets, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle (fingers crossed).

Thank you so much, Pat! It looks like the GWP will reopen several hours before the picnic starts, so as long as people coming out of or through the District can avoid the closed surface streets, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle (fingers crossed).

Dr. Gridlock, among others, says that all the streets are supposed to be reopened by 1:30, which differs from some of the closure info on that above link. None of this should be a problem for people coming later, but for people coming early or to set up--especially from certain directions--it might involve a little tweaking of routes. Until I saw something about it today, I had totally forgotten this was coming up.

While everyone is still online for the work week, I'd like to take a minute to thank leleboo for all the hard work she has put into this picnic. She has really, really stepped forward and made this event happen, and I'm grateful to her for all she has done.

Cheers,

Rocks

but for people coming early or to set up--especially from certain directions--it might involve a little tweaking of routes. Until I saw something about it today, I had totally forgotten this was coming up.

Agreed, thanks Pat. I'd also completely forgotten about this. I don't think it should hinder me in terms of getting down to the picnic but its good to know the street closings just in case.

She has really, really stepped forward and made this event happen

Nah...this is fun for me!!

Final menu and attendance post will go up tomorrow morning. In the meantime, everyone, please consider throwing a few storage (Ziploc-style) bags, napkins, cups, and the like into your bags along with your contributions. I'm sure we'll end up with way too much, but better to be safe than sorry! :(

I have pounds of shrimp pickling in my fridge and chicken livers just waiting to be paté'd...it's picnic time! Tomorrow is shaping up to be a gorgeous October Sunday ... exactly right for food, friends, and fun before the chill of fall sets in for real. Anyone running the Marine Corps Marathon in the morning? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Well, in any case, please check that link for road closures that might have an impact on your travel.

Here's the current breakdown by course and dish. (There are still some TBDs out there, which just ups the surprise/excitement factor for me!)

deviled eggs

endive spears w/goat cheese, almonds, and orange

pickled shrimp

crab rangoon

suppli al telefono

bacon

hummus

baba ganouj

Mains -- meat/fish:

pulled pork

gumbo

truffled steak sandwiches

beef curry

chicken, andouille, and tasso jambalaya

fried chicken

5-6 slabs ribs

Sides:

veggie torte

wild rice & barley salad

cranberry-walnut coleslaw

other veggie side (3-4)

Beverages:

hot cocoa

cider (mulled and not)

wine

water

Dessert:

peanut-butter cookies

pumpkin cake

sweet potato pie

chocolate chip brownies

azuki bean soup

other assorted baked goods

Miscellany:

serving pieces

tableware

plates,napkins,cups

tablecloths

propane grill

deep fryer

charcoal grill

first aid kit

soccer paraphernalia

camp tables

And attendance by screen name:

• leleboo +1 (?) -- tuscan chicken-liver pate w/crostini; drippy pickled shrimp; orzo salad w/roasted artichoke hearts and pine nuts
  • Scott Johnston and cucas87 +1 -- veggie torte; eggs (deviled, I believe); first aid kit
  • JPW – wine
  • goodeats +1 -- crab rangoon; azuki bean soup
  • dancole42 +1 –- steak sandwiches with truffles (subject to change)
  • GennaroE -- Suppli al Telefono and sauce
  • legant +4 -- TBD
  • hm212 +2 – chocolate-chip brownies
  • DanielK +3 -- endive tapa; soccer stuff; water, ice, and cooler
  • TheMatt – peanut-butter cookies
  • via Chef Brian Robinson of Restaurant 3 -- surprise dish; deep-fryer and paraphernalia
  • KMango +1 – market-inspired, veggie (not vegan) and side-dish-y; eco-friendly tableware/cups
  • Merry Mary -- TBD
  • via Chef Shannon Overmiller of The Majestic -- surprise dish, veg/grain
  • via Chef Rachael Harriman of Sou'Wester -- fried chicken
  • goldenticket +1 -- TBD
  • Rovers2000 – homemade cocoa, cider, water, soda
  • StephenB +1 – something appetizer-ish
  • Pat +1 – veggie/grain/bean salad;baked good of some sort;cheese (yes please!); a cooler
  • Koolpaw +1 – cranberry-walnut coleslaw
  • chaofun +1 -- home-smoked bacon; ribs; charcoal grill
  • skipper10 +1 --chicken (probably); a cooler
  • NCPinDC -- homemade hummus and baba ganouj, plus accoutrements
  • 22209 +1 -- wild rice and barley salad

Don't worry if you don't (or don't want/have time to) cook; buy your favorite snack and just show up -- the more, the merrier. In particular, I note that we have wine but no beer on the list ... any brew afficionados want to remedy that situation? Or feel free to chip in on the non-food side: we could use more tableware (recycled or reusable definitely welcome), extra camp chairs, storage and garbage bags, and toys/games that would be fun to have at a picnic -- I think we've got at least 8-10 kids who'll be in attendance (if you don't count inner children :( ).

Special thanks to my behind-the-scenes helpers scottmfleming and Rovers2000 for handling a few of the "gofer" responsibilities. Without them, we won't have our fryer, our delicious warm seasonal beverages, or GennaroE himself, just to name a few of the things they'll be unloading from their cars. Thanks, guys!

Please post here or to PM me if you have any questions/concerns/requests about food, drink, or transportation! ~Leigh

---

ETA - If anyone is still on the fence about what to bring, my impression is that we could use more slabs of protein (chicken, beef, lamb, pork, etc.) - there are never any of these left at the end of the picnic, so that should say something! (from Don)

What is the cooler/ice situation? I can bring a couple of mixed six packs of decent bottled beer.

I'll throw some extra napkins and paper towels into the car as well.

No one has responded to my queries for a cooler (after a post and a few PMs) so I'm actually debating buying one today ... unless anyone else jumps on it after seeing this! :(

No one has responded to my queries for a cooler (after a post and a few PMs) so I'm actually debating buying one today ... unless anyone else jumps on it after seeing this! :(

Sorry. I didn't notice the post about it before. We can bring a decent sized cooler.

Sorry. I didn't notice the post about it before. We can bring a decent sized cooler.

Please add me +1 to the list. I 'll probably bring chicken. I also have one of those huge coolers permanently parked in my car. If you need it is yours for the picnic. Sorry for such late response. Skipper.

Please add me +1 to the list. I 'll probably bring chicken. I also have one of those huge coolers permanently parked in my car. If you need it is yours for the picnic. Sorry for such late response. Skipper.

Chicken is fantastic -- and no worries about a late reply! See you there.

After studying the road closures due to the Marathon, when some roads re-open (some at 11 a.m., some later), it's not clear to me if it's possible to get over the Key Bridge and onto Route 1 around 12 p.m. If not, is there an alternative route that bypasses the closures? I could take the Chain Bridge if that's any better.

Thanks to anyone who knows or can figure it out.

I'm wondering if it's possible at all.

I'm planning on attending and will be coming from NW. I'm unclear at what time the festivities start. Also, I'll be bringing homemade hummus and baba ganouj with the usual fixings.

If someone could let me know what time it starts, that would be great. Thanks!

I'm planning on attending and will be coming from NW. I'm unclear at what time the festivities start. Also, I'll be bringing homemade hummus and baba ganouj with the usual fixings.

If someone could let me know what time it starts, that would be great. Thanks!

Officially 12-6pm at Site C-2, Fort Hunt Park, Alexandria. :( See you there!

Being on cold drink patrol for tomorrow, if anyone has any special requests outside of the water, diet coke, coke/sprite/etc shoot me a PM and I'll pick it up tomorrow morning.

And FYI for those with the under-12 set -- we have a pack of juice boxes, too!

After studying the road closures due to the Marathon, when some roads re-open (some at 11 a.m., some later), it's not clear to me if it's possible to get over the Key Bridge and onto Route 1 around 12 p.m. If not, is there an alternative route that bypasses the closures? I could take the Chain Bridge if that's any better.

Is the 14th street bridge closed? Otherwise you can take that to I-395 South to GW Parkway South and go down that way. The listing doesn't say 14th street bridge is closed, but I'm not sure either.

Is the 14th street bridge closed? Otherwise you can take that to I-395 South to GW Parkway South and go down that way. The listing doesn't say 14th street bridge is closed, but I'm not sure either.

It is closed for the race. I will be standing there cheering on my brother instead of the picnic this time around. Have fun, y'all!

Me and +2 are coming, probably bringing two entrees.

Ben is in theory making beef curry although his methods seem peculiar. He says this is the way he always makes it.

I am in theory bringing chicken and andouille jambalaya. There was to be tasso but I tried browning in the oven -- Chris talked me into setting the oven at 350 instead of 225. 350 would have worked for his style, he's the Energizer bunny, constantly involved. I was reaching for laid back. 225 would have been better. The tasso is a total loss. :(

Edit: Chris is pulling the burned bits off the tasso. He says the parts that aren't burned are still good. He really is the Energizer bunny.

I'm wondering if it's possible at all.

I wonder if it would work to go WAAAY around. I295 hooks up with I95 at the Wilson Bridge. It's brand new and beautiful if you haven't seen it since the bridge was widened. Take the Route 1 South exit towards Mount Vernon.

Somebody local on the DC side would have to comment on feasibility on that end. On the VA end it should be doable.