Bell's Beers

vinist

I am drinking some Hop Slam right now and couldn't be happier with it. I was thinking about why the price doesn't bother me that much, and came up with the following reasons:

1) It is (for me) certainly a class above Stone, HopWallop, or Troeggs. I think that the Green Flash IPA might be better and cheaper, but I can't really think of any others that are clearly better in the bottle. Again, this is all just my opinion.

2) Many, many beers are priced at a similar price point but not sold in six packs. There are dozens and dozens of beers sold in 22s for a much higher cost per ounce (22 ounces of Hopslam would be about $8) and few are better. The rare Italian stuff is often above $20 for 20 ounces. There are also many many beers sold in 12 ounce bottles which cost more, a six pack of Orval would be just as much or more. I've seen some Dogfish stuff for $12 for 12 ounces.

3) I shudder to think how many times I have paid 6 or even 7 dollars for Sierra or Brooklyn Brewery beers in a bar.

4) The limited availability guarantees that it is fresh, which is definitely worth paying more for in my opinion.

(I use bullet points because I am lazy, not because I want to to make my statements appear dogmatic.)

2) Many, many beers are priced at a similar price point but not sold in six packs. There are dozens and dozens of beers sold in 22s for a much higher cost per ounce (22 ounces of Hopslam would be about $8) and few are better. The rare Italian stuff is often above $20 for 20 ounces. There are also many many beers sold in 12 ounce bottles which cost more, a six pack of Orval would be just as much or more. I've seen some Dogfish stuff for $12 for 12 ounces.

And if it had been sold in a bomber at $8 I would have bought one; I've bought gallons and gallons of beer as 22s that I never would have purchased as 6 packs for $20+. As I said before I think it's more of a marketing thing. They set the barrier for entry to this beer in any quantity at $20+ retail, that is bound to lose you some sales. HopSlam (to me) just isn't that special.

Now seeing that it is available elsewhere as low as $14 makes me wonder if this is all Whole Food's doing. Where else in the DC area is it available for cheaper? At $16 I probably wouldn't blink.

I'm with MtPleasanteater. Hopslam is absolutely worth it to me at $20 a 6 pack. I had heard the wholesale price for a case was $60, meaning that $18-20 a sixer is reasonable (anything more than 20 is just gouging) and that the place in Atlanta is selling it at a loss unless they have relatives at Bells Brewery :angry:

And if it had been sold in a bomber at $8 I would have bought one; I've bought gallons and gallons of beer as 22s that I never would have purchased as 6 packs for $20+. As I said before I think it's more of a marketing thing. They set the barrier for entry to this beer in any quantity at $20+ retail, that is bound to lose you some sales. HopSlam (to me) just isn't that special.

Now seeing that it is available elsewhere as low as $14 makes me wonder if this is all Whole Food's doing. Where else in the DC area is it available for cheaper? At $16 I probably wouldn't blink.

FWIW, WF on P Street still has HopSlam listed on the shelf at $23.99, but when they ring you up at the register it checks out for $20.99. Maybe someone grew a conscience and realized that $4/beer was a total ripoff as opposed to just a ripoff?

If you couldn't tell, I'm in the contingent that thinks that $20+ for a sixer of this stuff is nuts. It's good, but in no way twice as good as a lot of the offerings they have in the $10/sixer range. Gimme 12 bottles of Bear Republic Racer 5 over 6 bottles of HopSlam at the same price any day of the week.

Proof had HopSlam on tap ($7) last night. My, what a pleasant surprise.

That's the best bargain in D.C., then. Hooray for Proof!

I've had it on draught in two bars in town. One charged $10/glass, another $8/glass. By contrast, the Cowboy Cafe on Lee Highway in Arlington charges $6/glass (I'm assuming that these are all similar servings, i.e., pint glasses)

Our price at Ace is $19.99/6-pack. Considering that some customers actually bought an entire case of it, and it is highly allocated, I don't think that our price is out of line.

If stores in Atlanta were charging $13.99, then they either A) are selling it at a loss, or B ) Their wholesaler took a smaller margin than ours has.

Big Hunt pouring a few interesting Bells Beers on draft this week. Expedition needs no introduction - whoah what a monster of a beer. Oarsman, a Berliner Weiss style beer....interesting, tart, refreshing, and Consecrator, a doppelbock - I'm generally not a fan of doppelbocks - too much sweetness and maltiness going on.

Favorite beer this week is probably Yeti's Hibernation Ale - truly outstanding

Hopslam ($7) and Batch 9000 ($?) are both on tap at Birch & Barley and Churchkey, so I gave them a try after my shift tonight. The former was surprisingly less hoppy than I expected, and I could see myself drinking it regularly. As for the 9000...it's extremely sweet, and unlike any beer I've had before. Downing just a two ounce tasting pour took effort, and could best be compared to consuming straight syrup. I could never imagine drinking this stuff with food...like the bartender said, "it'd be like taking a bite of chocolate cake between bites of whatever you're eating."

Don't think I want to brave the crowds that this is going to draw. Has anyone seen it on the shelves yet?

Hop Slam is due to arrive possibly by the end of this week. I wouldn't be surprised to see some "teaser" kegs at places like Churchkey a day or two before you see it on retail shelves.

And at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Oarsman Ale and Third Coast Beer. I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone could let me know if either of these rare specimens are spotted in our environs.

Both of them are fairly widely available (Oarsman moreso than 3rd Coast). I know for fact that Oarsman could be had at the Tenlytown WF as of late last week

Enjoying a shockingly good pairing right now: Bell's Special Double Cream Stout with spicy (chicken broth and Tabasco-based) vegetable soup.

MOM's was the place of purchase; the one on Glebe road. Tempted to venture out into the oncoming snow to snag another 6 pack...

And at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Oarsman Ale and Third Coast Beer. I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone could let me know if either of these rare specimens are spotted in our environs.

We had the Oarsman. Might still be available. Feel free to call me at the store. :)

There was press in the post about Hopslam:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-can-eat/beer/beer-2.html

That should fuel the fire. Just bought a six pack from Westover Grocery for $25 (I was down to pick up my dry cleaning across the street). Figured I'd see what all the fuss was about. Not bad, but $4+ a bottle? I don't think so. Rather prefer the Green Flash IPA on tap at the Lost Dog across the road, or for that matter the Northern Lights IPA made by Star Hill locally down near Charlottesville, VA. But for you Hop Heads on the trail of a source, there ya go.

That should fuel the fire. Just bought a six pack from Westover Grocery for $25 (I was down to pick up my dry cleaning across the street). Figured I'd see what all the fuss was about. Not bad, but $4+ a bottle? I don't think so. Rather prefer the Green Flash IPA on tap at the Lost Dog across the road, or for that matter the Northern Lights IPA made by Star Hill locally down near Charlottesville, VA. But for you Hop Heads on the trail of a source, there ya go.

Interestingly enough, I was in Chambersburg, PA this past weekend at a great beer distributor, In and Out Beverage. They were expecting their Hopslam to come in this week. While they can only sell by the case, they are only charging $62.99 for a case of Hopslam. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone!

I agree on Green Flash, but even better is Le Freak. I picked one up thinking it would be interesting in a gimmicky way, but Green Flash + Belgian Trippel = way more than the sum of its parts. The Belgian yeasts have an effect similar to the honey in Hopslam. Really a fantastic brew.

Our liquor store in the 'burbs had Hopslam for $16.99 per sixer, but I heard that at least one place in town had it for $13.99. One of Atlanta's premiere craft beer shops got 10 cases, and they sold out in a couple of hours. In any case, I will be enjoying mine this weekend, and possibly sacrificing one bottle to make some beer bread. Yum!

This thread was started in 2006, over four years ago - does anyone really believe Bell's is still a phenomenal brewery?

By and large, I think the beers suffer from "Dogfish Disease"--a little extra weight/extract for the stated style. But Oarsmen is delicious (and there's not a lot of light sour beer out there at any price), Cherry Stout is well done in the style, and Two Hearted holds its alcohol pretty well.

By and large, I think the beers suffer from "Dogfish Disease"--a little extra weight/extract for the stated style. But Oarsmen is delicious (and there's not a lot of light sour beer out there at any price), Cherry Stout is well done in the style, and Two Hearted holds its alcohol pretty well.

I think the only thing they suffer from is overexposure of their "big beers". Both DFH and Bells make top notch everyday beers, it's just that they only get media saturation from their more extreme offerings. 60 Minute and Shelter Pale are go-to beers. Third Coast Ale get's overshadowed by its big brothers. Bell's Porter may be my favorite American porter ever (I first had it in '94 or '95, and it was one of the beers that turned me on to craft brews for good).

I agree - they tend to overdo their "big beers" a bit, but DFH and Bell's are both breweries where I will not hesitate to try their new stuff, and for the most part, will not hesitate to recommend (within taste variances) their beers to others.

That being said!

The Bell's Winter White has consistently sucked in my opinion. Strictly IMHO. There are a couple of DFH beers that suck but I find Dogfish to be more experimental.

Hopslam was fantastic two years ago, not so great last year. This year? I'm liking it a good bit - having now had it on tap and in bottle. It's not wonderful, but it's worth the price, and in my opinion, that's all you can ask for (even at $20 a six pack, or $9 a pint at Ragtime).

BTW, Ragtime only tapped their 1/6tth keg at 8 PM tonight. I camped out (from 5 PM) to get the first pint,and one other. I greatly enjoyed them but that was all I needed. For the rest of the night, to wash down my antibiotics, I'll stick with Miller Lite.

I haven't had this year's Hopslam but I agree with most of what's written above esp. the comments about the winter white, and while some of the bigger beers are weak some of the dark beers are really first rate. I had a sixer of the Java Stout over Christmas that I really loved. I recently drank two of the 9000th batch beers that I had been keeping in the back of my fridge and they were about as good as any bottled beer that I've had.

The P St WF had plenty of HopSlam on Friday night, I'm sure it is gone by now. It could have been had for the aforementioned $25/6-pack or $50 for one of their mini-barrels :)

Edit: As of tonight (Sunday) they still had several six-packs in the cooler for $25 $26. HopSlam seekers, have at it!