Froyo, Friendship Heights and now Metro Center

I walked past the Booeymonger's in Friendship Heights this weekend and noticed the opening of Froyo. They have about six flavors- ranging from tart to the more classic creamy flavors. They also have a variety of toppings. Their froyo is sold by weight. I didn't try any, but will probably get around to it soon.

My daughter and I went yesterday. The yogurt's subpar (ok, we just got back from Southern California, so maybe I'm expecting too much), but once you smother it with tons of fresh strawberries, you don't really notice. She had tart; I had vanilla. Same reaction in both cases. I like Yogiberry better, but not enough to go out of my way for it and Booeymonger is a short walk from home. We love our night walks, so we'll probably end up regulars. It certainly beats Gifford's. And the one thing it has over the temporary FH Yogiberry is that the fresh berries aren't strictly rationed, LOL!

I first read about this place on a food blog somewhere or other and realized I had to try it immediately. They claim 16 flavors and over 30 toppings, and you can put as much or as little as you want in your cup and are charged by the oz ($.39 per) at the register. I'm not sure if the flavors rotate at all (I think they may have some seasonal options), but it's been the same 16 the two times I went.

You walk in and there's a line of frozen yogurt machines down the left hand wall. There's also usually an employee there to explain how the system works (if you ask they even have little tasting cups you can use to try a flavor before you commit to a full cup). Instead of only carrying the tart yogurt that is so popular these days in DC, FroZenYo also has a bunch of more traditional flavors (fat free vanilla and chocolate), along with some more unique ones (peanut butter, cookies and cream, dulche de leche, cappuccino, cheesecake and birthday cake). Each pairing can be swirled as well.

The toppings bar is pretty awesome too, and it's just nice to be able to put as much or as little of whatever you want on your yogurt. They obviously have the more healthy fruit toppings (peaches, blueberries, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, etc), but then the the "good stuff" runs the gamut from candy bars (Reese's cups, Heath Bar, M&Ms) to cereal (Capn Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles) to the traditional (sprinkles, oreos, cherries, nuts). There's also bottles of chocolate, vanilla and caramel sauce along with hot fudge at the register and Redi Whip.

The two times I've gone I had what I thought were pretty good servings and each time cost me less than $3, which is a pretty good deal in my book. It's located at 10th and F next to all the Metro Center souvenir shops, and I'm really lucky it's not closer to my home or office so I can only make it an occasional treat.