Soup in Dupont Circle

MBK

Help! I've come down with my first cold of the season, and I want to pick up some soup on my way home from work tonight. Any thoughts of where to get good soup in the Dupont Circle area? I've already thought of the various Asian options, is there anything else?

Help! I've come down with my first cold of the season, and I want to pick up some soup on my way home from work tonight. Any thoughts of where to get good soup in the Dupont Circle area? I've already thought of the various Asian options, is there anything else?

No doubt what my first choice would be:

Zorba's Kotósoupa Avgolémono ($4.45) - chicken soup with fresh vegetables, rice, and an egg-lemon juice blend

(Mourayo might make a better one, but I don't think they have it.)

Two other hearty options:

Zuppa di Primavera ($6.95) from La Tomate - puree of onion, celery & potato w/ fava bean, peas, asparagus, fresh spinach & Castelmagno cheese

Portuguese Kale Stew ($11) at Urbana with cannelini beans, creamer potatoes, sweet georgia white prawns, and chorizo

Logical, but a dice roll:

Moscow Borsch ($7) from Russia House - Russian Style Soup of Beets, Braised Beef Brisket and Savoy Cabbage. Served with a Dollop of Sour Cream

IF you can sit at the bar, this is one of the great soups of Dupont Circle:

Shichimi Crusted Tofu Tokyo Hot Pot ($26) at Nora with with Bok Choy, Radish, Shiitake, Udon Noodles, Carrots, Miso Mushroom Broth

Feel Better!

No doubt what my first choice would be:

Zorba's Kotósoupa Avgolémono ($4.45) - chicken soup with fresh vegetables, rice, and an egg-lemon juice blend

(Mourayo might make a better one, but I don't think they have it.)

Two other hearty options:

Zuppa di Primavera ($6.95) from La Tomate - puree of onion, celery & potato w/ fava bean, peas, asparagus, fresh spinach & Castelmagno cheese

Portuguese Kale Stew ($11) at Urbana with cannelini beans, creamer potatoes, sweet georgia white prawns, and chorizo

Logical, but a dice roll:

Moscow Borsch ($7) from Russia House - Russian Style Soup of Beets, Braised Beef Brisket and Savoy Cabbage. Served with a Dollop of Sour Cream

IF you can sit at the bar, this is one of the great soups of Dupont Circle:

Shichimi Crusted Tofu Tokyo Hot Pot ($26) at Nora with with Bok Choy, Radish, Shiitake, Udon Noodles, Carrots, Miso Mushroom Broth

Feel Better!

Thanks, Rocks - this is perfect. I can't do Nora tonight but that is great to know about for another time... it sounds fantastic.

I'm sure this is too late for today, but Hudson does have Matzo Ball Soup--and if you're early enough in the day you can get the Avgolemono from the Greek Deli. And Jonathan's on 19th Street actually has a pretty tasty Chicken Noodle soup, with a bit of a kick. And even though you didn't want Asian, Malaysian Kopitam has some nice soups for when one is under the weather.

Hope you feel better!

I'm sure this is too late for today, but Hudson does have Matzo Ball Soup--and if you're early enough in the day you can get the Avgolemono from the Greek Deli. And Jonathan's on 19th Street actually has a pretty tasty Chicken Noodle soup, with a bit of a kick. And even though you didn't want Asian, Malaysian Kopitam has some nice soups for when one is under the weather.

Hope you feel better!

I second the recommendation for Hudson's Matzo ball soup and am impressed by Rocks' soup recs too. I'll add that Marvelous Market also hs chicken noodle soup (not as good as homemade or Whole Foods, but OK). If you can find a decent place for pho or wonton soup in the area (Meiwah has an OK creamy chicken corn soup), that might be good too. Feel better!

Any of the soups at Greek Deli are great, though they close at 4 and run out often before.

Bread and Brew sometimes has nice soups. They usually have 4 choices. I've found the vegan ones tend to be better than the others - luckily they will let you taste them before purchase.