Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe, North Arlington - Wolfgang and Carla Büchler's Bavarian Bakery on Lee Highway

56 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

For me the attraction at Heidelberg is the bread. Not only is the variety impressive, but the rye breads such as the corn rye are easily some of the best I've had since the sissel breads of my youth in RI. The breads with various other seeds are really good too.

The hamantaschen are excellent too, available year round, and I am pretty sure they even have mun (poppy seed paste) in addition to the apricot and raspberry filled. Maybe even the nontraditional chocolate?

We've also enjoyed various of the pastries, such as the cream cheese slabs with blueberries and other ooey-gooey delights.

Oooh.  I haven't been there in a while.  I love all those delights you mentioned above.  Thanks for the update.  Now I'll get back over there.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

For me the attraction at Heidelberg is the bread. Not only is the variety impressive, but the rye breads such as the corn rye are easily some of the best I've had since the sissel breads of my youth in RI. The breads with various other seeds are really good too.

The hamantaschen are excellent too, available year round, and I am pretty sure they even have mun (poppy seed paste) in addition to the apricot and raspberry filled. Maybe even the nontraditional chocolate?

We've also enjoyed various of the pastries, such as the cream cheese slabs with blueberries and other ooey-gooey delights.

Ooooh, this brings back memories.  When I lived within walking distance this was once of my favorite places to pop in and grab a treat, especially on the weekends when they pulled out the grill cart (pure genius for getting people to follow their noses!).  Are they still doing periodic open houses?  Those were the best and included tours of the workspace and lots of samples. 

Just had a Cronut (sp?) from Heidelberg. It is a croissant/doughnut hybrid and it was really good! I think they only make them on Fridays, though. Not as sweet as the Duck Doughnuts someone brought to work the other day. I like "not so sweet", even on a doughnut.