Hellmann's or Miracle Whip?

Mark Slater

which results in the special delicacy - "blue balls?"

perhaps for you. Miracle Whip, and Durkees ... southern staples for sandwiches in {insert area of country raised up in}. Wonderbread (there's a few blue ball's for you among the others) anyway top it with Velveeta, and what are you going to do as a tad pol back then ? Anyway Giant in southern MD has another southern jarred Mayo, was rolled into a red velvet cake recipe. danged if i can remember that one. anyway we brought back some stuffed ham from (...., sorry can't remenmber that one either) good stuff on white bread and ....

robert clair

alexandria, va 22308

thank you for this list

(Actually does Miracle Whip have egg in it? I loved Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread sandwiches as a kid...)
According to Kraft's ingredients list, yep (sorry about the caps - copied & pasted):
Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SUGAR, SALT, ENZYME MODIFIED EGG YOLKS, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, PAPRIKA, SPICE, NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS: EGG.

Hellman's. I never understood how people could hate mayo, but in recent times, I realize that Hellman's is the only manufactured mayonnaise I like. That's always what my family used. Knowing that people in the South love Duke's, I tried that and hated it. The taste was disgusting to me. Another time, I was out of Hellman's so bought the 365 brand, and I threw almost all of it out. I tried regular Kraft mayo years ago and didn't like it, but I didn't think much of it at the time. The few occasions when I've had Miracle Whip, while I didn't care for it, I didn't hate it the way I've disliked other brands of actual mayonnaise.

Something else that's odd is that I've found some sandwiches I have bought recently have the same awful taste that I now associate with non-Hellman's mayonnaise. I'm not sure if this means a lot of food purveyors used to use Hellman's/Best and now don't or if something strange is happening with my taste buds. (I'm not talking about places with housemade mayonnaise. That usually tastes good to me.)

The only thing Miracle Whip was good for was making homemade Thousand Island dressing. Hellmann's is far and above the best.

I grew up eating Giant brand light mayo, which is disgusting. Fortunately when I married, my husband introduced me to Hellmann's. Although recently when I had to give up mayo due to a soy allergy, I did try some other brands without soybean oil. Needless to say those ended up being thrown out as they were vile. Then to the rescue Hellmann's came out with their canola oil mayo, and it is not only good, but I actually prefer it to the regular.

Stephen Colbert took on Miracle Whip (he comes down on the side of plain, but store-bought, mayonnaise -- of course "he" does, in his persona ... heehee). Anyway, this past Thursday, Miracle Whip bought ad time in every commercial break on his show and wrote new voice-over and text for their ads. Pretty hilarious.

I'm not a Miracle Whip girl, but I have to give them props for this one.

Duke's if you're buying at the store. I like making at home mayo, but I have not really found one I swoon over, which is the whole point for at home mayo IMO.  I was raised on Hellman's, but I prefer Duke's these days. Miracle Whip is awful.

If I'm serving cold poached salmon, say, or cold lobster, I want freshly made mayonnaise to go with it. On a sandwich, I'd really rather have bottled mayonnaise. The problem with Miracle Whip is, as you say, that it's awful. I find it aggressively disgusting, actually, or at least I did the last time I tasted it, which was almost certainly more than thirty years ago. The problem with Hellmann's, and with almost every other commercially available bottled mayonnaise, is that it's loaded up with sugar, which does not belong, not one speck, in mayonnaise. Duke's is blessedly free of sweetening, and I think it's the second-best widely available (in this case, in the southeast U.S.) product. The best I've found is Trader Joe's private label.

If you ever get down south, try Blue Plate.  My mother used to send it to me in "I'm sorry you're in grad school in Illinois" care packages along with real grits, and one time was on a plane next to a woman who had a jar of it in her carry on to take to her son in Chicago.  It's serious stuff. :)

If you ever get down south, try Blue Plate.  My mother used to send it to me in "I'm sorry you're in grad school in Illinois" care packages along with real grits, and one time was on a plane next to a woman who had a jar of it in her carry on to take to her son in Chicago.  It's serious stuff. :)

No need to wait as Amazon has everything! click.

My dirty secret- to my Bozzelli's cheese delight sub, which I order w/ lettuce, tomato, black olives, but dry- no mayo or oil- I then go home & mix Hellman's, w/ Pace picante sauce & Cholula, & add it liberally. Some things just really need commercial mayo (even if you embellish it).