Uses For Leftover Cream and Half & Half

legant

Not necessarily a call for help; just a rant:

As I'm discovering, one of the problems with the clean fridge/freezer project is that you're often left with odd bits of this and that. Right now, from 2 containers, I have barely a 1/2 of cream. Even if I halve the cream biscuits recipe, it's not enough. If I were to make a cream sauce there isn't enough. I could whip it with some sugar and serve it with... what? Perhaps a ganache, but that means I have to buy the ingredients for a cake... which means at least four unused eggs in the fridge... which defeats the whole clean fridge project.

ARGH!!!!

The expiry date is about 10 days away; I may just take the easy way out and toss the cream.

Not necessarily a call for help; just a rant:

As I'm discovering, one of the problems with the clean fridge/freezer project is that you're often left with odd bits of this and that. Right now, from 2 containers, I have barely a 1/2 of cream.

Is it 1/2 cup? You could try whipping it, but that's a pretty small amount to start with. You could always mix it with milk or half and half to stretch it for cooking. You can use it in coffee. Put a couple of tablespoons into a soup. Do you have potatoes? It would be nice in mashed or twice baked potatoes or a gratin.

Is it 1/2 cup? You could try whipping it, but that's a pretty small amount to start with. You could always mix it with milk or half and half to stretch it for cooking. You can use it in coffee. Put a couple of tablespoons into a soup. Do you have potatoes? It would be nice in mashed or twice baked potatoes or a gratin.

It's your *(&(*$! clean the fridge/freezer project, Pat! :(

Don't drink coffee... may make a pea soup... have two apples (hmmm... apple crisp with whipped cream?)... potatoes call for a trip to the store... no milk -- can't stand the stuff... may have a (lot of) chai Sunday morning.

I'm almost there: I can see the back of the fridge! I do have a ton of carrots. Maybe cream of carrot soup... for one... tomorrow?

It's your *(&(*$! clean the fridge/freezer project, Pat! :(
:(:blink: You seem to be doing better at it than I do, if that's any consolation. Cream of carrot soup sounds good. Thyme would be good in that, if you have it. (That's something I always have dried because I buy it at Penzey's in big bags that last forever. Different project :o).

I'm making a 4-onion soup tonight to use up garlic, shallots, and yellow onions (why do I buy them at Costco?) and a stray leek. If it's still grate-able, I'll be using the rock-hard gruyere in the cheese drawer, making this a French 4-way onion soup. I've got a baguette in the freezer I can pull out to use for the bread.