Reference for Spice/Food Matching

legant

Is there an easy reference guide to determine what spices go best with what food?

I made this cabbage-potato-smoked sausage concoction tonight. The only spices I added were: S&P, garlic, and a bay leaf. (I have no idea what flavor bay leaves are to impart; it just seems that everybody ultimately adds a bay leaf or two to most dishes.) I t was okay, but it needed something. I don’t know what. Just something.

How do I know – sans the trial and error route – what spices compliment certain foods? I could scour a score of recipes and get a general idea of what works. But, when you’re trying to throw together something quick, time is of the essence. There must be an Internet resource out there.

Is there an easy reference guide to determine what spices go best with what food?

I made this cabbage-potato-smoked sausage concoction tonight. The only spices I added were: S&P, garlic, and a bay leaf. (I have no idea what flavor bay leaves are to impart; it just seems that everybody ultimately adds a bay leaf or two to most dishes.) I t was okay, but it needed something. I don't know what. Just something.

How do I know – sans the trial and error route – what spices compliment certain foods? I could scour a score of recipes and get a general idea of what works. But, when you're trying to throw together something quick, time is of the essence. There must be an Internet resource out there.

What a great question! I'd love to know the answer to this as well!

I made this cabbage-potato-smoked sausage concoction tonight. The only spices I added were: S&P, garlic, and a bay leaf. (I have no idea what flavor bay leaves are to impart; it just seems that everybody ultimately adds a bay leaf or two to most dishes.) I t was okay, but it needed something. I don’t know what. Just something.

How do I know – sans the trial and error route – what spices compliment certain foods? I could scour a score of recipes and get a general idea of what works. But, when you’re trying to throw together something quick, time is of the essence. There must be an Internet resource out there.

Because cabbage + sausage reminded me of choucroute, I Googled a recipe and found this. Bay leaves are part of it, but also juniper berries, cloves and allspice. Here is a whole list of spice resources.

The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs