Seattle, WA

ereidy

We had our Christmas Eve-Eve dinner at Ray's Boathouse.  I've found it rarely gets mentioned by those commenting on the Seattle dining "scene," but it really is an institution.  They serve classic Pacific NW cuisine -- seafood focused, with some gentle Asian twists.  You also can't beat the location, right on the water with a beautiful view of the Puget Sound.  They are not cheap, but the food is top-notch delicious.  The quality of the seafood is impeccable, and the service is old-school attentive.  No tattoo sleeves or giant neck beards were evident at least for our dinner.  I had the scallops on squid ink pasta, and though the dish was advertised as having Dungeness crab as an accompaniment, I swear there was as much crab as there were scallops.  My wife indulged in the salmon.  No description necessary:  you are in Seattle.  If you are having poor quality salmon you're doing it wrong.

Ray's Boathouse isn't cheap, but there is a more affordable cafe option upstairs with similar PNW-inspired cuisine.

The one large drawback to Ray's is also it's major plus, that location on the water and far from any of the urban centers.  But with Uber ubiquitous in town now, getting to the restaurant (and back) won't take a car rental.

Go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kanishka said:

We had our Christmas Eve-Eve dinner at Ray's Boathouse.  I've found it rarely gets mentioned by those commenting on the Seattle dining "scene," but it really is an institution.  They serve classic Pacific NW cuisine -- seafood focused, with some gentle Asian twists.  You also can't beat the location, right on the water with a beautiful view of the Puget Sound.  They are not cheap, but the food is top-notch delicious.  The quality of the seafood is impeccable, and the service is old-school attentive.  No tattoo sleeves or giant neck beards were evident at least for our dinner.  I had the scallops on squid ink pasta, and though the dish was advertised as having Dungeness crab as an accompaniment, I swear there was as much crab as there were scallops.  My wife indulged in the salmon.  No description necessary:  you are in Seattle.  If you are having poor quality salmon you're doing it wrong.

Ray's Boathouse isn't cheap, but there is a more affordable cafe option upstairs with similar PNW-inspired cuisine.

The one large drawback to Ray's is also it's major plus, that location on the water and far from any of the urban centers.  But with Uber ubiquitous in town now, getting to the restaurant (and back) won't take a car rental.

Go.

[You know, if we had MVP Awards, you'd be a candidate - you're in *Kosovo*, and writing about Benin, Seattle, even Washington, DC. And I still haven't forgotten that you were THE very first person ever to write about me, nor will I ever. Thank you for all you've done, and continue to do, Kanishka - you've been a Godsend. Take a bow, please - you deserve it.]

29 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

[You know, if we had MVP Awards, you'd be a candidate - you're in *Kosovo*, and writing about Benin, Seattle, even Washington, DC. And I still haven't forgotten that you were THE very first person ever to write about me, nor will I ever. Thank you for all you've done, and continue to do, Kanishka - you've been a Godsend. Take a bow, please - you deserve it.]

To be fair, I've actually relocated to Benin from Kosovo, via some leave and intensive training in French.  So we live in Benin now, and I'm not au courant with dining in Kosovo(which I hear has improved!)

The blessing of our third son has meant an extended trip to Seattle, as our employer will not approve of giving birth in Benin.  I guess you could say I'm on "paternity" leave, but that doesn't exist in the federal government; I'm burning through my substantial bank of sick leave for the first months of the new boy's life.

This brings up a VERY good point relevant to Ray's Boathouse.  We're talking a $40 entree, perfectly served Vesper, complimentary valet kind of restaurant.  But they had kid's menus for the older two children (complete with crayons) -- they shared a honey-soy glazed chicken breast, broccoli rabe, and roasted potatoes.  For $9, and no upsell trying to get us to get two plates when one could be split between the three-year old and one-year old.  We also took our one-month old, and they provided a car seat sling.  He slept peacefully.  Also important to note:  our kids were not the only ones at the restaurant, and no one was bothered by the bit of chaos our little guys brought

I'm trying to think of a comparable restaurant in DC.  Corduroy? The Oval Room?  Really I'm not sure.  But i'm not sure any such high-end restaurant in the DC area would treat young children so well.  Please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong.

We're headed to Seattle for a week next month, staying near Lake Union.  With two young kids in tow, I doubt we'll be eating at any of the finer-dining establishments that have been discussed extensively upthread.  Based on some initial cursory research here and elsewhere, the short list of places where I'm thinking we'll go includes Meat & Bread (a few blocks from our hotel, loved the sandwiches there when were we in Vancouver), Tsukushinbo, Il Corvo, Poke to the Max, and Un Bien.  Maybe Junebaby if it's remotely child-friendly?  Any other suggestions?

On 7/25/2018 at 8:53 AM, silentbob said:

We're headed to Seattle for a week next month, staying near Lake Union.  With two young kids in tow, I doubt we'll be eating at any of the finer-dining establishments that have been discussed extensively upthread.  Based on some initial cursory research here and elsewhere, the short list of places where I'm thinking we'll go includes Meat & Bread (a few blocks from our hotel, loved the sandwiches there when were we in Vancouver), Tsukushinbo, Il Corvo, Poke to the Max, and Un Bien.  Maybe Junebaby if it's remotely child-friendly?  Any other suggestions?

Junebaby is like Roses Luxury was a few years back - peak hype and no reservations, meaning people lining up well before they open. That's about as kid-unfriendly as it gets. Eduardo's other spot, Salare, takes reservations and has a kids menu. It's also awesome, just not the simulation glitch that a restaurant like Junebaby is up in the PNW.

Just seeing the words Un Bien has me salivating, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 2:53 PM, silentbob said:

Ray's Boathouse is great for kids, and on a weekend night it shouldn't be too busy.  You're also not far from Lunchbox Laboratory, which is by no means fancy, but was fun when we went a few years ago.

• Like 1

Back in Seattle!  It's an errand-filled time bouncing from dentists to doctors to various other family obligations, before headed east soon for wedding fun.

Lunch yesterday was at Samurai Noodle, a favorite ramen shop in the U District.  It's no-frills but great as far as cheap, fast ramen goes.  My spicy shouyo tonkotsu was a little mild for my taste, but I'm coming off of three years of West African peppers so my taste buds cannot be trusted.  The noodles bounced, the egg ran *juuust* a little (AKA how I like it), and the pork and chicken broth was richer than usual.  M had the standard shouyu tonkotsu, and though she found the pork cut too fatty my eldest had no problem eating it for her.  All three sons loved their noodles, which the youngest regularly refers to regardless of provenance as "psghettis."  They shared a bowl of tonkotsu miso, which here comes with a pat of butter.  The menu insists the butter is a game-changer, which I must gently disagree with.  But the boys didn't complain -- at least about that.  (Our 2.5 year old was incredibly frustrated he could not manipulate chopsticks.  He's stubborn, like his dad.)

A shout-out to the summer vermicelli salad.  It hardly feels like "summer" to we former tropical denizens, but the vinegar-and-pickle laced noodle salad had a sour and funky flavor I have not enjoyed in years.  

Thanks America!

• Like 3

On 11/30/2017 at 1:56 PM, DonRocks said:

Logan Cox, formerly of New Heights and Ripple, has left Sitka and Spruce, and will be opening Homer in Beacon Hill, Summer 2018.

Speaking of former DC chefs, I recently had dinner at RJ Cooper's new restaurant, Henley, in Nashville, TN.

Homer is an absolute gem.  I get early Rose's Luxury vibes from it every time I go.  No reservations and a relatively small place, so come early or be prepared to wait (they'll text you when ready for you).  I've been fortunate enough both times to sit at the bar adjacent to the open kitchen, which provides a view of the chefs working their magic at each station.  In my experience, they've been more than happy to chat with you while they work too, which is cool..

I also love that they have $4 (!) and $5 (!!) glasses of delicious sherry and vermouth.  I effectively had 3 drinks last night for $14.   As far as food, you definitely have to try one or more of the dips that come with freshly (i.e. in front of your eyes) baked pitas -- each that I've ordered has been refreshing, light, healthy and unique.  After that, spend most of your time on the small plates -- last night I ordered a second order of the grilled buttered sourdough with harissa whipped butter and anchovies (maybe Logan Cox was inspired by 2 Amy's?).  We had a smoked lentil (I believe) smalller dish last time that just blew me away.

My entrees of salmon with cucumbers and crab ($24 -- the most expensive thing on the menu) and the half-chicken have been very good, but not as exciting.

This has been my favorite restaurant since moving to Seattle a month and a half ago, though I certainly have not tried nearly all the highly touted places.   Still, it's not surprising to me that GQ named this one of the best new restaurants in America.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, funkyfood said:

This has been my favorite restaurant since moving to Seattle a month and a half ago, though I certainly have not tried nearly all the highly touted places.   Still, it's not surprising to me that GQ named this one of the best new restaurants in America.

Thank you so much, funkyfood, for this informed post - it's great to see that Logan is achieving his potential (also great to see that you're happy in Seattle).

A short stop over in Seattle before heading out to the Walla Walla area.  We didn't explore much:

Columbia City Bakery:  A small but very well stocked bakery in the Columbia City neighborhood.  The bakery has been named a James Beard Semi-Finalist 4 times.  Excellent vegetable torta with potatoes, roasted poblano peppers, leeks, and cheese.  Also enjoyed the breakfast sandwiches and we took home some excellent cookies.  The breakfast sandwiches are made to order so be prepared for a 10-15 minute wait.  This is one of those neighborhood gem types places. 

Meet the Moon:  Hipster style cafe.  We ordered cinnamon buns the size of our heads to go.  Wish we could have stayed.

Leschi Market: A dive looking mom and pop grocery store across the street from Meet the Moon with a very good wine aisle, lots of local Washington State wine at reasonable prices.

Marination Ma Kai: A food truck's waterfront brick & mortar space in the North Admiral area for Hawaiian-Korean fusion with killer views of downtown Seattle.  Food was ok (good greasy fries, fish tacos were tiny), beer list was solid with local offerings.  Really your going to chill outside and take in the view.

PCC Community Markets:  Sort of like Yes Gourmet meets the prepared food section at Whole Foods.  Carried a decent selection of local wine and beer.  We also bought some excellent Rainier cherries.  Looks like they have about a dozen locations around the Seattle area. 

Columbia City Bakery vegetable torta:    

Columbia City Torta.jpg

• Like 2

Reality bites. As of Sunday, 800 workers out for an anticipated 8 - 12 weeks.

James Beard award-winning chef Tom Douglas said he made the decision to close the doors to 12 of his 13 restaurants in the Seattle area following a drastic decline in business amid the coronavirus pandemic. Only Douglas' Dahlia Bakery will remain open.

As a result, Douglas had to let 800 of his employees go.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-seattle-chef-closes-restaurants-trnd/index.html

A quick stop off in the Seattle area.

Grateful Bread Baking:  We stopped in at the Duvall, WA location but they also have a Seattle bakery in the Wedgwood neighborhood.  Tasty pastries including the ham and cheese croissant and good coffee. 

Golden Steer Meat Market:  A random listing, but if you need a butcher in Woodinville or Bellevue...we bought a 12lbs brisket, which was smoked overnight in a Green Egg for around 12 hours and damn it was good.  They also had a good selection of sausages, thick cut bacon, and amazing looking pork butts, among a lot of other offerings. 

One major beef...the wine selection at Seattle area grocery stores is so vastly superior than DC.  Many grocery stores have a local wine section featuring a broad range of Washington State wine...stuff I hunt all over DC to find and is almost never available is on sale with a bonus card.