Desperately Seeking Strip Malls

In my interview with Todd Kliman last month regarding the opening of Doi Moi, I talked about the bias faced by Asian restaurants. Here is what I said and I will throw it out to the group for discussion:

"I think in the past there has been an economic bias against regional Asian cuisine—not only in DC and but in the country as a whole. It was fine to spend $30 on a bowl of noodles and shrimp at an Italian restaurant, but an Asian restaurant should offer strip-mall pricing on a comparable dish. Yes, there were Asian “ fusion” restaurants that attempted to elude this strip-mall mentality, but without the foundation of authenticity their success was generally hard to sustain. With the recent commercial and critical success enjoyed by restaurants like the Slanted Door, Fatty Crab, Pok Pok, Little Serow, and several others, restaurants serving authentic regional Asian cuisine are starting to level the economic playing field with other mainstream ethnic cuisines. That movement has to a large extent paved the road for a restaurant like Doi Moi."

Kuller, I think your assessment on the biases of Asian cuisine ais right on the mark and can be used for other ethnicities as well.

Pok-Pok is delicious

Little Serow is delicious

Bangkok Golden is delicious

Pho 75 freakin delicious.

No matter the decor, service or beverage program, these places are all serving something more than "typical" strip-mall fare.

I think in the past there has been an economic bias against regional Asian cuisine—not only in DC and but in the country as a whole. It was fine to spend $30 on a bowl of noodles and shrimp at an Italian restaurant, but an Asian restaurant should offer strip-mall pricing on a comparable dish. Yes, there were Asian “ fusion” restaurants that attempted to elude this strip-mall mentality, but without the foundation of authenticity their success was generally hard to sustain. With the recent commercial and critical success enjoyed by restaurants like the Slanted Door, Fatty Crab, Pok Pok, Little Serow, and several others, restaurants serving authentic regional Asian cuisine are starting to level the economic playing field with other mainstream ethnic cuisines.

Kuller, I think your assessment on the biases of Asian cuisine ais right on the mark and can be used for other ethnicities as well.

Pok-Pok is delicious

Little Serow is delicious

Bangkok Golden is delicious

Pho 75 freakin delicious.

What about African cuisine?

Can anyone name ten Australian dishes?

I would say that after Europe, Asia (or at least eastern Asia, and perhaps India) is easily the second-most known and respected continent for their cuisines. Let's also not forget that Japan is part of Asia.

So I think the correct point to be raised here is, "anything but France, Italy, Spain, and Japan."

(Obviously, I'm not including the U.S. since we're the focal point of the discussion.)

I'm not sure I could name ten dishes, but I might be able to name ten distinctive Australian ingredients. Back in the 80s, during the Crocodile Dundee phase, Australian food was a thing for a while. There was a place called Kangaroo Katie's in the Greenway Center in Greenbelt. I recall they had vegemite on toast. I like vegemite. I used to have to argue with them to get it, insisting I'd had it before and I wanted it. They had vegemite on the menu to be "authentic," but customers hated the taste of it when they ordered it. I believe the subtitle for it on the menu was "Australian peanut butter and jelly."

Of course, that restaurant closed and I don't know if there are Australian themed restaurants around DC now.

I'm not sure I could name ten dishes, but I might be able to name ten distinctive Australian ingredients. Back in the 80s, during the Crocodile Dundee phase, Australian food was a thing for a while. There was a place called Kangaroo Katie's in the Greenway Center in Greenbelt. I recall they had vegemite on toast. I like vegemite. I used to have to argue with them to get it, insisting I'd had it before and I wanted it. They had vegemite on the menu to be "authentic," but customers hated the taste of it when they ordered it. I believe the subtitle for it on the menu was "Australian peanut butter and jelly."

Of course, that restaurant closed and I don't know if there are Australian themed restaurants around DC now.

I have been to Kangaroo Katie's no less than 50 times (the subtitle was "The peanut butter and jelly of Australia!").

Likewise Jasper's.

I'm not sure I could name ten dishes, but I might be able to name ten distinctive Australian ingredients...

I think dishes might actually be easier than ingredients, actually. Like chicken schnitzel parmesan, or curry pie, or the meat pie in split-pea soup.

We used to stop at Matilda's in Newark, DE, as the closest entrant in this category we could find. Sadly, it changed owners a couple of years ago and now serves a menu of numerous kinds of identically-bland tasting mac-n-cheese.

Closest place I know now is in Atlanta :(

Shrimp on the Barbie

Throw Another Shrimp on the Barbie

Bloomin Onion

Fosters

mmmm, that's all I got. But apparently they are in an ongoing pissing match with New Zealand over who invented the dessert pavlova.

• Like 1

Shrimp on the Barbie

Throw Another Shrimp on the Barbie

Bloomin Onion

Fosters

mmmm, that's all I got. But apparently they are in an ongoing pissing match with New Zealand over who invented the dessert pavlova.

Plus there's Aussie Chicken Cobb Salad and Aussie French Fries. Both are available at Outback Steakhouse and both trace back to Aboriginals.

Right now I'm near the Greg Norman Australian Grill in North Myrtle Beach. They feature a "Brisbane seasoned filet mignon seared and served on a bed of sautéed onions and mushrooms, finished with a bourbon sauce." Is that seasoned with little pieces of Brisbane? Is it seasoned in Brisbane? Is Brisbane a seasoning? Is Brisbane a method of seasoning?

I need to brush up on my Australian cuisine.