Gluten-Free Dining

I have no doubt that since this thread was last updated, dozens - if not hundreds - of area restaurants have introduced gluten-free sections on their menu.

Is gluten-free pizza crust really worth that much of an upcharge? I noticed on Pie-Tanza's menu that a plain cheese pizza is $9.69, whereas one with a gluten-free crust is $12.69 - is this a typical markup?

And, what do they make the crust from if not wheat flour? Is there any technical difficulty in getting the dough to work?

Yes, I think GF sections is becoming the normal.  Even Disney World has changed all their menus to accomodate gf, vegetarian, etc.  Food allergies continue to be on the rise.  What I have found the most baffling is that it isn't only in children being born that it is rising, but also in the number of adults developing allergies.   It is getting to be a whole new world out there.  I agree with DarkStar the best things are things not replicating a gluten product.  I find the same thing true for lactose intolerance.  (Whoever began mass producing the frozen chocolate covered banana was a smart person.)

Most places don't make their own GF pizza dough, they normally buy it. There are all sorts of different flours from other sources they use.  The best I ever had was at American Flatbread, I have never had better.  There are lots of examples of places I don't care for.  The crusts tend to be smaller and not as chewy and more dense.  Not sure that it is worth the upcharge, but in general GF products are pricey- many aren't worth it.  But I think that is probably a typical menu price.