People there seriously think that ribs smoked at The Montgomery Inn are superior to anything you can get in Memphis or Kansas City. Cincinnatians are a largely humorless bunch, God bless them. I blame their German roots. ;)

Yes, people in Cincinnati have a lot of civic pride. If Cincy is the "Queen City," Indianapolis must have a strong claim on being King. I personally think we could use more of this attitude in places not named Boston and New York.

But Montgomery Inn, locals are justifiably proud of. Memphis and Kansas City are not really the right point of comparison: those are barbecue towns, where ribs are measured by the flavor of their meat. Montgomery Inn's meat is just a delivery vehicle for their sauce -- it's not really barbecue at all. Montgomery Inn's ribs are boiled, then whisked through an oven for exterior texture. The meat ends up fall-off-the-bone tender, but with only a generic pork flavor. But the sauce is really a terrific example of a midwestern sweet BBQ sauce -- absolutely delicious for people who treat ketchup as a substance equal to chili, coffee, or Beethoven. And for those who don't, my advice at Montgomery Inn is just to buy the sauce, take it home, and experiment: combined with your favorite vinegar, mustard, and/or hot sauce, it's a ready-made base for a championship sauce for anyone's tastes.

• Like 2

Cezanne. Rodin. Shakespeare. Beethoven. Chili? :D Cezanne, Rodin and Beethoven drank coffee and probably crafted some of their best works with it or even thanks to it. I challenge anyone to produce a picture, a painting, a bit of research, indicating any of those masters ever came face to face with chili or a milkshake.

Sorry Don, just having a bit of fun with this. :)

Perhaps not chili, but I feel pretty confident that, Beethoven at least, enjoyed a piping hot Goulash from time to time.

Same pot, different culture, I might argue. B)

Also, the first coffee house in England was opened in 1652, a good 36 years after Shakespeare's death. So, unless he really sought it out, I doubt he shared your passion for coffee. However, in Shakespeare's lifetime, boiled meat was common, tomatoes were available from the New World and the spice trade was up and running, so an enterprising young chef at the Globe might have whipped up a bowl of red once in a while.

Perhaps not chili, but I feel pretty confident that, Beethoven at least, enjoyed a piping hot Goulash from time to time.

Same pot, different culture, I might argue. B)

Also, the first coffee house in England was opened in 1652, a good 36 years after Shakespeare's death. So, unless he really sought it out, I doubt he shared your passion for coffee. However, in Shakespeare's lifetime, boiled meat was common, tomatoes were available from the New World and the spice trade was up and running, so an enterprising young chef at the Globe might have whipped up a bowl of red once in a while.

Goulash, eh? Check and touche. Clearly not chili but certainly at least a 2nd cousin to the stuff.

Coffee though; that's a different matter. While your stat about the first coffee house is right. Coffee was in England by the 1580s. it would have been initially only known by the wealthy, which Shakespeare was for most of his life. There's no way to know for sure but a few things help to point to possible answers. First, coffee came into Europe by way of Venice and the upper class. From there, it spread north. A major impediment to coffee drinking in Europe was the Catholic Church's prohibition of the African drink. Pope Clement VIII fixed that, paving the way for Starbucks a few centuries later, in 1600. It's still debated to this day whether Shakespeare himself was Catholic or Anglican. Either way, there's a definite chance he'd had some coffee by the time of his death in 1616 due to the royal and privileged circles in which he ran. Perhaps counterintuitively, it's more likely that Shakespeare had a chance to try a bit of joe than tea, which only began import into England around the 1660s courtesy of a Portuguese princess.

To get this back on topic--chili. Whole Foods has ground beef on sale today at local stores. I had to stop at the Arlington branch (freakin' zoo!) today and one of their staff was offering samples of chile they'd made there. He had all the ingredients used on the table. Some black beans. A WF chili spice packet with only one questionable ingredient (silicon dioxide to prevent clumping and excess moisture). Canned tomatoes. The chile itself was serviceable. Two people, after trying it, asked if WF was selling the hot chili. Of course not. The chili we tried was heavy on meat with a very light touch on the beans. If they were sampling chili to promote chili (rather than chopped beef) sales, the bean-to-meat ratio would have been higher. Definitely NOT suggesting anyone add WF to their chili spot bucket list.

It's still debated to this day whether Shakespeare himself was Catholic or Anglican. Either way, there's a definite chance he'd had some coffee by the time of his death in 1616 due to the royal and privileged circles in which he ran.

Methinks your opinion of coffee has clouded your general acumen.

According to what I assume is your Bible, The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug by Bennett Alan Weinberg and Bonnie K. Bealer, Historian Anthony Wood and Oxford Diarist John Evelyn reported that the first coffee was brewed in England, at Oxford, by a Nathaniel Conopios, a Greek new to Oxford in 1637. Although Conopios was soon expelled, his brief tenure initiated coffee's use there and in the rest of England. Or did you not read to page 150??

I also think one could certainly live a longer, healthier life on chili alone, than coffee, due to its obvious nutritional benefits.

I am off to Carterque in Mt Airy, their menu makes the dubious "award winning chili" reference. Cheers

Methinks your opinion of coffee has clouded your general acumen.

According to what I assume is your Bible, The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug by Bennett Alan Weinberg and Bonnie K. Bealer, Historian Anthony Wood and Oxford Diarist John Evelyn reported that the first coffee was brewed in England, at Oxford, by a Nathaniel Conopios, a Greek new to Oxford in 1637. Although Conopios was soon expelled, his brief tenure initiated coffee's use there and in the rest of England. Or did you not read to page 150??

I also think one could certainly live a longer, healthier life on chili alone, than coffee, due to its obvious nutritional benefits.

On the first point, always very, very possible. I'd never dismiss being clouded on most anything at a given point in time ;) Yet, when it comes to coffee or, more generally, pre-17th century coffee history, tough to find a definitive bible. There have been at least 3 or 4 serious research efforts. That said, William Ukers in this century and Dr. Leonhardt Rauwolf in the 18th both put coffee's entry to England prior to 1600. Leonhardt (can be downloaded free here since published in the 18th century) is especially interesting since, as a German botanist who traveled between Europe and coffee's birthplaces in the Middle East and Africa, he was in good time and geographic proximity to know without ulterior motives which might have clouded his honesty in reporting.

As to being stranded on an island with the choice between coffee and chili for longest survival, no argument here. :)

158039_117624088302187_3323030_q.jpg

(via facebook):

This is the OFFICIAL notice of the 5th annual Chili Cook-off/potluck extravaganza for Super Bowl Sunday February 3rd.
Come One, Come all. One entry person, rules are as followed:

Chili cook-off Rules
Traditional Pepper Chili is defined as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with chili peppers, spices and other ingredients, with the exception of beans and pasta, which is strictly forbidden.

Soup Chili is defined as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with spices and other ingredients, including beans, pasta, and fillers.

Either type are accepted.

Each head chef will be responsible for cooking no less than one (1) gallon of chili and turning in one (1) cup of chili for judging. Judging cups will be supplied.

Judges will vote for the chili they like best based on the following major considerations:

a) Color - Chili should look appetizing, reddish brown is generally accepted as good.
b ) Aroma - Chili should smell good. This also indicates what is in store when you taste it.
c) Consistency - Chili must have a good ratio between sauce and meat. It should not be dry, watery, grainy, lumpy, or greasy.
d) Taste - Taste, above all else is the most important factor. The taste should consist of the combination of the meat, spices, etc. with no particular ingredient being dominate.
e) Aftertaste - The aftertaste or bite is the heat created by the various types of spices and or peppers.

Chili may be distributed to the public only after judging has commenced.

The decisions of the Chief Judge are final.

The Peoples Choice Award is determined by the public. The public will purchase chili. It is up to you to entice them to try your chili and cast their vote for you. The more chili you have the more votes you can get
  • Like 1

Black Hog BBQ in Frederick and Urbana is quite good. A little too much reliance on dried spices that come through as raw*. good texture and complexity however. the portion was okay, unlike their side portions which tend toward laughably small. I think they should charge more for their sides and give me enough to eat, instead of just taste. But the chili had a heat that really mounted on me until the end of the bowl until it was very spicy.

The chili at The Dogfish Head brewpub in Gaithersburg was a pedestrian bowl of slightly seasoned ground beef. Not much to go for it, except it is served with the really good sausages Don mentioned , somewhere. Burton Baton is a great beer.

* for anyone who adjust their spice seasoning at the end of the chili cooking process, you will end up with a very raw taste. The essential oils in most of the spices dissolves much more readily in fats, so you would be better served to add all of your spices at the beginning of the cooking process. If spices are needed at the end bloom your spices in oil and add the aromatic/cooked result to your pot. much better

Black Hog BBQ in Frederick and Urbana is quite good. A little too much reliance on dried spices that come through as raw*. good texture and complexity however. the portion was okay, unlike their side portions which tend toward laughably small. I think they should charge more for their sides and give me enough to eat, instead of just taste. But the chili had a heat that really mounted on me until the end of the bowl until it was very spicy.

The chili at The Dogfish Head brewpub in Gaithersburg was a pedestrian bowl of slightly seasoned ground beef. Not much to go for it, except it is served with the really good sausages Don mentioned , somewhere. Burton Baton is a great beer.

* for anyone who adjust their spice seasoning at the end of the chili cooking process, you will end up with a very raw taste. The essential oils in most of the spices dissolves much more readily in fats, so you would be better served to add all of your spices at the beginning of the cooking process. If spices are needed at the end bloom your spices in oil and add the aromatic/cooked result to your pot. much better

Jeff, would you add the spices to the meat while it's frying in the pot? Did your guys give you the special delivery from me, at Grapeseed?

This recent crappy weather had me craving chili. I stopped at Hard times on the way home hoping to get lucky (chili-wise). everything about the stop (Hard Times Germantown, btw) was as bad as could be. The bartender sucked, the drink sucked, and the chili sucked, but I digress. It led me to ask:

Is there any really good chili in this town? including suburbs. Rich, complex,spicy, layered and beefy. Anything worth a trip? Do not mention Ben's unless you want to fight.

I figure not, given that the last post here is 2 1/2 years old there appears to be not much interest. Don't a lot of other cities have a much more advanced chili culture? Since, theoretically, chili is such an all american dish shouldn't we as the capital of this America (U.S. of, (I once dated an Argentine who took great umbrage with our use of plain "America")) have some major representation in the chili wars.

Who wins that DC101 thing? Do they sell it?

Please help. I am Jonesing hard and am willing to travel.

-Heineman

Alright Jeff, I've found you your chili.

If you don't love this, I'll buy it for you.

Eamonn's - not the old one in Alexandria; the new one in South Arlington.

This is the most rewarding bowl of chili I've found in DC.

There are no beans.

There is no ground beef.

I wish I had tasted the dairy before I flipped it over and nuked it in my microwave because it is now gone, completely absorbed into the body of the dish. This is something resembling shredded brisket in a tomato-based, crême-frâiche-tinted sauce, but the brisket is shredded so thoroughly and so completely, that there are no gaps or imperfections to be found. I turned it upside-down, and microwaved it for three minutes, and it is an excellent chili.