Or if you don't want to take the nuclear approach for all sites that you might visit: simply delete any cookie matching 'washingtonpost*' or 'wapo*' (the latter is their annoying social reader Facebook thingy) and it's like you were never there. Methods vary by browser type.

They certainly aren't tracking by source IP.

I've been deleting cookies regularly and logging out every time a link (which must come from the few Post emails I get) logs me back in. I don't really want to reset my browser just to see some Post articles. I concluded it must be IP because the number of articles I read keeps increasing, even with everything I'm doing. (I'm using Safari but I can't imagine it's that different with other browsers, except for the tiny problem with Safari where it doesn't actually delete cookies you delete sometimes.)

It's fucking gross and he's bad for the city. Please leave.

He's getting the crowd pumped for his next kill shot. That's not responsible food critique, that's Emperor Commodus.
Again, you are uninformed...I don't think I want to continue discussing this with you,

He's reveling in the destruction.

I love flip flops....

Wait, it's Tom Sietsema whose supposed to be the internet troll?

Pot, meet kettle.

As far as Tom is concerned, I prefer to see him blast away. That's his job.

I've been deleting cookies regularly and logging out every time a link (which must come from the few Post emails I get) logs me back in. I don't really want to reset my browser just to see some Post articles. I concluded it must be IP because the number of articles I read keeps increasing, even with everything I'm doing. (I'm using Safari but I can't imagine it's that different with other browsers, except for the tiny problem with Safari where it doesn't actually delete cookies you delete sometimes.)

In Firefox it's just Options > Options > Show Cookies then search for the site string you want and blamm-o. I can't speak to Safari since I don't use it, but there should be some way to delete granular data like that (and if "it doesn't actually delete cookies you delete", umm, yikes)

Well there's always the option of subscribing to the paper. You get free internet access and a recyclable source of many uses in the home, i.e. lining a cage for a pet, wrapping breakables for storage, giveaway to friends who need stuffing and wrapping for moving...and many others. As well as supporting a local and national resource that is and should be valued. As much as it (the paper) gets criticized, as it should be, we would not be happy with the alternate of not having one at all.

(stepping down from soap box)

• Like 2

I subscribed to the Sunday post so I could have digital access. It'll be nice to have a physical paper occasionally too now, and it's cheaper than the digital only subscriptions.

When I review a bar on the blog (I KNOW I USED TO POST WHATEVS I HAVE A BIG POST COMING UP THIS WEEK) if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything typically. That's because I *like* almost all the people I know in the industry and don't want to hurt someone's possible livelihood.

That being said, I don't make money off that writing. Well, much money. Very very little money. It is not my livelihood.

For Tom, it is his, and doing things that will get attention to upcoming articles is good for his career. I don't want to know just which restaurants are good, I want to know which are bad, and I will fully admit that I more often find "bad" reviews more entertaining than "good" ones. (When I did video game reviews, my reviews slamming a game were much more popular than the ones praising a game - other than my Brickbreaker review.)

Anyways, I didn't find what he did to be trolling. To be honest, I found it interesting. He's hooked me, I admit. And if he's as well known in the industry as everyone says he is (I don't know him personally from Adam) perhaps that's a way to give a hint to the restaurant that they have issues before he goes back again.

No matter how many times I log in to the Post then log out, and read as many articles as I want, way more than 20, I periodically get a pop up saying I've used up 3 of my 20 articles for the month, or another one that says 10, then it goes back to 3, 3 again, maybe 10 next time. I never see any value other than 3 or 10.

I don't think it's really tracking the number of articles we read at all.

Well there's always the option of subscribing to the paper. You get free internet access and a recyclable source of many uses in the home, i.e. lining a cage for a pet, wrapping breakables for storage, giveaway to friends who need stuffing and wrapping for moving...and many others. As well as supporting a local and national resource that is and should be valued. As much as it (the paper) gets criticized, as it should be, we would not be happy with the alternate of not having one at all.

(stepping down from soap box)

We subscribed for decades (at least 25 years) but were just tossing the paper into the recycling bin without reading it, which was a waste of money and resources. I'm not happy with the corporate Post, in which the paper is a tiny fraction of the business. The people we liked to read took early retirement, the journalistic quality slipped, and the opinion pages skewed in a direction I didn't care for, Delivery got to the point that it was useless. Often the paper never showed up. When we'd stop it when we went away, we'd come back to a stack of papers. HEY: NOBODY"S HOME. THE HOUSE IS EMPTY.

It's just not worth it, all the way around. I never hear it being delivered at all anymore, so our neighbors must have all stopped subscribing too. It used to be obvious when the paper landed early in the morning.

If I'm going to pay, I'd rather pay for the NY Times. They at least still seem to have a few copy editors.

I've talked to tech support about the Safari cookie problem and I thought it had stopped, but possibly not. I used to like Firefox but switched to Safari. If everybody else is able to get around the cookies, maybe I'll go back to Firefox to read the Post.

ARRIVING EARLY IN THE HEAT
Last night my family had a delicious meal at Mintwood. Only issue? We arrived at 5:15 for a 5:30 reservation and the restaurant didn't open until 5:30. They would not let us into the restaurant until 5:30, so we stood outside in the heat (including one preggo lady and one elderly). My family thought this was unreasonable, and that they at least should have let us in to sit in the A/C, but I thought it was understandable since they weren't open. Thoughts?
– July 17, 2013 10:52 AM Permalink
A.
TOM SIETSEMA :
If I'm getting the whole story (you didn't show up any earlier, right?) shame on Mintwood Place. I understand the need for rules, but when the thermometer hits triple digits and there are senior citizens and expectant moms involved, those rules need to be relaxed.

A business needs to open its doors early to accommodate customers who showed up early. So Best Buy must open its doors on Black Friday whenever the first preggo woman or senior citizen shows up? WTF is wrong with these fools.

A business needs to open its doors early to accommodate customers who showed up early. So Best Buy must open its doors on Black Friday whenever the first preggo woman or senior citizen shows up? WTF is wrong with these fools.

There's a difference between what they need to do and what they should do.

• Like 1

When you treat people differently, people will start wondering why. When people start wondering why, they start to push the envelope. When people push the envelope, someone healthy and fit will demand early entrance to a restaurant because it's "too hot outside." Get Direct TV and stay home and stop whining.

ETA: obviously this is as exaggerated as a Direct TV commercial....

When you treat people differently, people will start wondering why. When people start wondering why, they start to push the envelope. When people push the envelope, someone healthy and fit will demand early entrance to a restaurant because it's "too hot outside." Get Direct TV and stay home and stop whining.

What an utterly ridiculous slippery slope argument.

A few people got to a restaurant a little early on an obscenely hot day, probably not realizing that the place didn't open until their reservation time. In that very specific situation, it would be nice of the restaurant to let them in.

The entire world isn't going to fall apart because of it.

• Like 1

What an utterly ridiculous slippery slope argument.

A few people got to a restaurant a little early on an obscenely hot day, probably not realizing that the place didn't open until their reservation time. In that very specific situation, it would be nice of the restaurant to let them in.

So restaurants now must adjust their hours based on weather condition and who arrives early, or else suffer the wrath of these people on various Internet forums. I'm glad I don't run a restaurant.

Letting people in a little early would have been a kind thing to do and I hope people exercise good judgement, pay it forward, treat their fellow men and women with altruism that does not necessarily fit into the rules. That is some of what defines our human-ness.

Common sense alone tells you the right thing to do would be allow these people too get sweet relief in your A/C. This heat can kill, and I don't think these women should be penalized for daring to leave a little early on their way to the restaurant, or told to stay shuttered in.

So restaurants now must adjust their hours based on weather condition and who arrives early, or else suffer the wrath of these people on various Internet forums. I'm glad I don't run a restaurant.

I can understand that a business doesn't want to open up until it is totally prepared, and that final 15 minutes before showtime can be a hectic process that guests shouldn't necessarily witness. You want to fling open the doors at the moment when you are actually ready to do everything you can for your guests. On the other hand, if it is bitterly cold, or raining, or blazing hot, and if a restaurant can accommodate waiting guests without interrupting its prep, isn't that a nice gesture? These same guests are going to be spending an hour or two with you, and if you can start their experience by getting them out of the heat, rain or snow, you are improving the quality of their experience.

Not every restaurant has space where patrons can wait without interrupting the flow of the prep. But if I recall, Mintwood has a small front area where waiting would not intrude upon prep.

On a related note, it irks me to no end when I arrive at a bar or restaurant after it is opening, and it is NOT prepared. We were at the bar of a big deal restaurant shortly after opening, and we waited quite a long time before a server showed up behind the bar (even though the hostess greeted us and assured us that the bar was open). When a server did appear, and we ordered a glass of wine, we were told that the bar had not yet been restocked and that he was waiting for the wine. Fail. To be fair, he did comp one glass of wine, but wouldn't it have been more prudent to just be stocked when customers are expected to arrived?

• Like 1

if it is bitterly cold, or raining, or blazing hot, and if a restaurant can accommodate waiting guests without interrupting its prep, isn't that a nice gesture?

I agree it's a nice gesture, but should not be an obligation. What Tom wrote is "those rules NEED to be relaxed," which I interpret to mean that a restaurant is now obligated, and the chatter in this case now feel they have a "right" to march into an restaurant before its posted hours because of their own perceived "special" needs.

So how many months preggo before a woman should expect special treatment and how old a senior citizen? Does a Yelper need to post how preggo she is in order to justify her rant? Inquiring minds want to know.

When I worked in a restaurant those last 30 minutes were really hectic- moving tables and chairs around, wiping down menus, staff blaring music working full tilt. Servers changing into uniforms, setting tables, bins of glassware being moved, staff meals, etc etc. We didn't open our doors until opening because we planned our staff to have just enough time and those are things you don't want patrons seeing, not that we did anything suspicious, but it wasn't glamorous. There would often be a few people waiting outside on some nights.

There are other places with AC nearby they could have stopped into to wait. I don't think the restaurant should be chastised about it, publicly. And if you are traveling with persons that can't be in the heat for that time period it is your responsibility to take care of that and be mindful. In the same way when I am traveling with people who can't do stairs, I check on the number of stairs beforehand and prepare. Would it have been nice if they could accommodate the request, sure, but it isn't rude that they didn't. They have a posted opening time.

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect that a business should stand watch for pregnant women, the elderly, or whoever may need immediate cover from the elements, but maybe, if the doors are open and they happen to walk in, letting them stay wouldn't be so bad. (I'm not saying that happened in this case.)

There's a difference between what they need to do and what they should do.

While reading that in the chat, I just wondered why they didn't just walk next door (in any direction) and find a place to sit? Perry's has a Happy Hour, as does TAAN. Even the Astor probably wouldn't care if they just walked in and sat down for a few minutes. It's wasn't like they were in the middle of nowhere with no place to get out of the heat.

• Like 1

While reading that in the chat, I just wondered why they didn't just walk next door (in any direction) and find a place to sit? Perry's has a Happy Hour, as does TAAN. Even the Astor probably wouldn't care if they just walked in and sat down for a few minutes. It's wasn't like they were in the middle of nowhere with no place to get out of the heat.

A fine question to ask, but not the question I was addressing, which is simply what the restaurant should do. Despite the chaos of last-minute prep, the world isn't going to end if the manager invites the preganant lady melting in the heat to wait in the air-conditioned entranceway until they're ready. Frankly, it's just the decent thing to do.

It's not exactly difficult to find out when a restaurant opens, especially if you're busy making reservations there.

Maybe the party did know when the place opened and maybe overestimated the amount of time it would take to get there, what with this being DC and all, it's generally maybe a good idea to leave a bit of fluff in the travel schedule so you arrive on time, and CALM and in the right frame of mind to enjoy your dinner because you weren't maybe screaming obscenities in your car because of all the asshats blocking the box and making you miss green lights that you should have been sailing through, but for said asshats' sense of superiority and possible problems with depth perception.

No, this shouldn't cause an avalanche of people who feel they're entitled to occupy space in a restaurant while the chaos or at least busyness of opening is happening, but this heatwave is a special circumstance with people who have real needs, not perceived ones, so for the love of humanity, let them in.

Tell them to stand in place and not get in the way. Assuming they're not idiots and can follow simple instructions, and the staff doesn't experience apoplexy caused by the seriously innocuous presence of 4 people, I think the evening could have gone off without a hitch, and maybe could have began with a random act of kindness.

And maybe the poster wouldn't have written in to laud the act of kindness with the readiness they wrote in regarding feeling slighted in some way, but isn't it enough knowing you did something nice for someone and don't need a pat on the back, you know, the whole "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" thing?

• Like 4

And maybe the poster wouldn't have written in to taut the act of kindness with the readiness they wrote in regarding feeling slighted in some way, but isn't it enough knowing you did something nice for someone and don't need a pat on the back, you know, the whole "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" thing?

The interesting thing is that the person who wrote in thought the restaurant was right. It was the other members of the party who were put out by it, and he asked Tom for his opinion. Tom sided with the rest of his party against him.

(I'm not sure why I think the writer is male.)

I agree it's a nice gesture, but should not be an obligation. What Tom wrote is "those rules NEED to be relaxed," which I interpret to mean that a restaurant is now obligated, and the chatter in this case now feel they have a "right" to march into an restaurant before its posted hours because of their own perceived "special" needs.

So how many months preggo before a woman should expect special treatment and how old a senior citizen? Does a Yelper need to post how preggo she is in order to justify her rant? Inquiring minds want to know.

This is the hospitality industry issue not a civil rights issue.

• Like 1

I don't know the specifics at Mintwood, but, in many French restaurants, the half hour before opening is the family meal and the staff line-up. These activities work better without an audience.

Just our of curiosity Mark (or others in the know), how do restaurants generally deal with first reservation times? Do they always coincide with opening times? I know that most conciencious diners like to show up for a reseravation 5-10 minutes early...just wondering if restaurants factor that in at all.

I know that most conciencious diners like to show up for a reseravation 5-10 minutes early...just wondering if restaurants factor that in at all.

Really? In 30 years of showing up for reservations, my conscience, which can be very active -- though mostly because I give it so much to work with, not because it's so highly developed -- never once suggested to me that I show up early. It does nag me if I'm more than ten minutes late, but that's almost always due to matters far outside of its -- or my -- control.

Have I missed something?

• Like 1

It could be the combination of just having read The Road and working 44 hours in a vineyard this week but I'm pretty sure people are responsible for their own actions. If you're the host and you know it's 100 degrees and you know it could be dangerous for those in your party to be in the heat you make plans for shelter--you don't rely on a restaurant to take pity and open early. The perfect compromise would have been if the host/ess came out and explained the policy while giving the group some water and directing them to shelter--"play some pool with the hobos at Bedrock," for instance.

This could lead to a rant about how the hospitality industry shouldn't be beholden to constantly being nice to people but I'll leave that for another time...

It could be the combination of just having read The Road and working 44 hours in a vineyard this week but I'm pretty sure people are responsible for their own actions. If you're the host and you know it's 100 degrees and you know it could be dangerous for those in your party to be in the heat you make plans for shelter--you don't rely on a restaurant to take pity and open early. The perfect compromise would have been if the host/ess came out and explained the policy while giving the group some water and directing them to shelter--"play some pool with the hobos at Bedrock," for instance.

This could lead to a rant about how the hospitality industry shouldn't be beholden to constantly being nice to people but I'll leave that for another time...

I, on the other hand, assume that the hospitality industry would go out of their way to be, you know, hospitable -- particularly a place like Mintwood, which seems to have aspirations to rise above the run-of-the-mill. This is perhaps a challenging situation -- the last minutes before opening can be challenging for a restaurant. On the other hand, in exceptional weather, when dealing with people for whom one would expect exceptional courtesy as a matter of course, Mintwood's response seems a little low-rent.

This reminds me somewhat of the whole "should restaurants have contracts" discussion, where much was made of the fact that airlines demand contracts and provide non-refundable tickets. Most transactions are purely economic, a simple swap of goods or services for payment. I don't expect much from my dry cleaner, the Giant, or United Airlines. Restaurants of a certain class, however, offer up the illusion (or, the reality) that you are someone special to them -- a "guest," not a mere "customer" -- and this feeling is a large part of what persuades you to spend in their establishment many times more money than you actually need to spend to get or make a decent meal. Not picking on Mintwood here, especially as there is almost always a second side to any story of this type. But I do think that any restaurant that traffics in image and service should be inclined to err on the side of courtesy. Just out of courtesy, of course, but also for the purely business consideration that grateful customers come back, and write very different notes to Tom.

• Like 1

It's not clear from the chatter's description whether Mintwood even knew they were standing outside. It's pretty normal for the front door to be locked until opening. Did they knock and were told they were not allowed in?

It's not clear from the chatter's description whether Mintwood even knew they were standing outside. It's pretty normal for the front door to be locked until opening. Did they knock and were told they were not allowed in?

A fair question, but I gather from "They would not let us into the restaurant until 5:30," that someone affirmatively acted to say no. Also, the fact that someone was moved to write to Tom.

A fair question, but I gather from "They would not let us into the restaurant until 5:30," that someone affirmatively acted to say no. Also, the fact that someone was moved to write to Tom.

Possibly. On the other hand, the chatter would be likely to say "we were met at the door by someone, and they told us we could not come in until 5:30." It's too bad the journalists at Wapo didn't follow up with the chatter, as it seems an obvious question, the answer to which confers the culpability of the restaurant.

I, on the other hand, assume that the hospitality industry would go out of their way to be, you know, hospitable -- particularly a place like Mintwood, which seems to have aspirations to rise above the run-of-the-mill.

I used to assume this too - that is, until I tried to park my Segway in the coat check at Bistro Bis... :ph34r:

I, on the other hand, assume that the hospitality industry would go out of their way to be, you know, hospitable --

I used to assume this too - that is, until I tried to park my Segway in the coat check at Bistro Bis... :ph34r:

Post of the day goes to Keithstg :) I rode one recently and thought of you, Nadia, and Bistro Bis.

"No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.

Jesus Christ, the boy said, it's just 15 minutes.

Listen to me, he said, when your dreams are of some world that never was or some world that never will be, and you're happy again, then you'll have given up. Do you understand? And you can't give up, I won't let you.

If you're so hungry, replied the boy, just go grab a jumbo slice. Quit being so dramatic.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.

You forget some things, don't you?

Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

No, I mean you forgot that our reservation was at 5:30, not 5:15.”

• Like 2

Here's the restaurant's take from Tom's chat today. Sounds like a reasonable resonse all around including their rebuke to Tom at the end:

The next note is from the owner of Mintwood Place, Saied Azali. He was responding to a patron who said he/she showed up 15 minutes before the restaurant opened and was not allowed inside, despite the wilting heat:

"I am sorry that is has taken a few days to pen a response to your mention of us on your Wednesday chat. The staff and I apologize profusely to the guests that feel they were left out in the heat and humidity especially if the guests were pregnant or elderly.

I, myself, as well as the two managers were present that day and we must have all missed the guests standing outside. We have in the past both at Mintwood Place and Perry's allowed guests, elderly and pregnant people, in from any inclement weather outside.

The only person we were aware of coming into the restaurant was a man around his 30's that asked if the restaurant was open. I wish that the situation was more vocally brought to my staff's attention. It very easily could have been fixed then and there. The blame clearly lies in our court for not being attentive and aware of the situation outside and for that we apologize, 5-5:30 pm is a busy time for us.

I kindly ask only for two things. One, that if any guest ever feels a situation isn't handled properly or the outcome is unsatisfactory please let a manager know. They have the power to fix it and make it right. Please let them.

Second, Tom, we would appreciate us contacted either by phone or e-mail before publishing an accusation such as this.

Second, Tom, we would appreciate us contacted either by phone or e-mail before publishing an accusation such as this.

That concept kind of defeats the whole chat format, doesn't it? "Sorry folks, we have to contact all the restaurants mentioned in less than flattering tones today and get their take before publishing your comments".

That concept kind of defeats the whole chat format, doesn't it? "Sorry folks, we have to contact all the restaurants mentioned in less than flattering tones today and get their take before publishing your comments".

Should have quoted this from Tom's intro as well:

"A request: If you have an issue with a restaurant, try to send it to me a day or two -- or even a week! -- before the Wednesday chat.

Here's why: When I get rants early, I can do some reporting and (hopefully) get to the bottom of a problem, maybe even solve it. When I get gripes after the chat goes live, there's rarely time to call a restaurant to get its side of a story -- which is, of course, fair to all parties".

Apparently Ken Cuccinelli was a participant in today's discussion.

Partners and such
At the same time, some of your loyal readers do not support sodomy or its promotion, so perhaps you can stick to the food in your writings? A restaurant critic should not be part of the editorial page.
Tom Sietsema :

Yikes. I'm at a loss for words.

• Like 1

Partners and such
At the same time, some of your loyal readers do not support sodomy or its promotion, so perhaps you can stick to the food in your writings? A restaurant critic should not be part of the editorial page.
Tom Sietsema :

That was pretty awful. I hate to think of how many other comments like that he got. At least the person whose comment he posted last week was just confused because Tom sometimes eats meals out with "gal pals" or lady friends. That comment last week cemented my feeling that the magazine piece was written at least in part for the purpose of coming out to the rest of the population. Many people who follow the food world already knew what references to a partner meant, but even some of my very liberal "straight but not narrow" friends had no idea he was gay until that piece was published.

• Like 1

Partners and such
Tom Sietsema :

That dude deserves a dick-slapping.

I noticed that when the Elisir commenter of last week responded to the request for his info, it was a longish comment that also included his full name and email address. Oops!

When I checked the chat a few minutes ago, I saw that his last name had been removed and his email redacted.

Tom, i know you get a lot of tipping etiquette questions, but here's another one.  My partner and I have begun ordering a third entree wrapped to go after we've finished our meal to share intimately later that night....

Are there any other inquiring minds out there who want to a little more about this?  And are slightly frightened of finding out?

I confess that this question reminded me not a little of a hilarious bed-death-illuminated book review that Sandra Tsing Lo published in The Atlantic a few years back:

tsingloh.jpg

For the past 12 years, Teri and Pat have had a special Monday-night ritual. They order an extra-large cheese pizza (sixteen slices). While waiting"”and I am not making this up"”they settle in on the couch with large twin bags of Doritos. Each chip is dipped first in Philadelphia cream cheese and then in salsa. Cream cheese, salsa. Cream cheese, salsa. Cream cheese, salsa. The Doritos are finished to the last crumb, and then, upon arrival, the pizza as well. For Teri and Pat, this night of a million carbs is, by special agreement, guilt-free. Both feel that it is better than sex.