stickmoon

Northside Social, in the old Murky Coffee Space - Bakery, Coffee, and Wine Bar by the Owners of Liberty Tavern - Now Also Open in Falls Church

Northern Virginia Magazine reports on Liberty Tavern's plan for the old Murky Coffee space:

Northside Social will be managed by Willow’s one-time sommelier Alison Christ, while ex-Murky Coffee general manager Marianne Tolosa will step in as director of coffee (look for Counter Culture java and dairy goods from Trickling Springs Creamery). Baker G. David King is expected to trot out around a half dozen bread varieties per day.

Northside Social is expected to feature “work-friendly farm tables” as well couches and love seats for maximum lounging, while second story guests will now enjoy an aerial view of the ground floor. The from dawn-to-dusk venue is also expected to field various alternatives to your morning joe (think: fully developed wine and beer program) as well as live music.

Northside’s menu will turn on breakfast, lunch and other lite-fare, and is tentatively set to include: Polyface Farm egg sandwiches, homemade granola and yogurt, chicken liver rillettes and apple pie topped with Fiscalini cheddar (FINALLY!).

Northside is currently projected to open right around Christmas.

Chef Liam LaCivita will oversee the kitchen. The article also has info on their new restaurant, Lyon Hall.

Hopefully to open after Xmas before New Year.

The newly painted exterior certainly brings a festive cheer compared to its old "murky" self. I can't remember if the awning/roof is new or not, but the black contrast shapes this building up quite nicely right now. Always on a random drive-by these days...

Their facebook page says:

Starting December 14th we will be running a preview coffee shop at The Liberty Tavern. Come visit us in the morning from 8-noon for great Counter Culture coffee made by our soon to be famous Baristas! We will also have whole beans for sale!

Will they be taste testing any bakegoods with this coffee at Liberty Tavern next week? I shouldn't be asking this with Christmas feasting coming my way, but that would definitely tip the scale for me.

Will they be taste testing any bakegoods with this coffee at Liberty Tavern next week? I shouldn't be asking this with Christmas feasting coming my way, but that would definitely tip the scale for me.

Absolutely! Starting Tomorrow (Dec 14, 2009) we will be serving fresh baked goods, Counter Culture coffee and espresso, and whole beans at our pop-up coffee shop at The Liberty Tavern from 8AM-12PM. Starting the next day, Tuesday the 15th, Chef Liam will also be preparing the best egg sandwiches I have ever eaten (and I've had a lot of egg sandwiches). On to the best news I have to share… We officially received all of our work permits and we will begin some major interior construction this week. So, Northside Social should be open in about five weeks (barring any construction issues). I’ll keep you posted on dates and menus and anything else you’re interested in hearing about. Let me know if you have any curiosities! -Alison

Stopped by Liberty Tavern, subbing as the temporary am home of Northside Social 'til the real deal opens, this morning to kill some time. Had the egg samwich which is quite good, served on the house-baked toast with the applewood smoked bacon usually seen on the Liberty burgers, some greens and flavored with maple-butter. I would warn the consumer to beware as the yolk in the fried egg is served soft. Not expecting this I bit into the sandwich and had a yolk explosion down my sleeve. [Next time will ask for the yolk to be hard-cooked.] They are still anticipating a mid-January opening and are working on the food menu.

Stopped by Liberty Tavern, subbing as the temporary am home of Northside Social 'til the real deal opens, this morning to kill some time.

I just wish they would update their website, as this blurb about Murky is still on the LT site:
COFFEE The Liberty Tavern is proud to partner with our friends and neighbors at Arlington's finest coffee house, Murky Coffee. The Liberty Tavern's General Manager, Mark Fedorchak, worked closely with Murky Coffee owner Nick Cho to design and implement an ambitious coffee program that features Counter Culture coffee and espresso beans, along with Intellegentsia tea. Individual French press pots are a highlight.

I just wish they would update their website, as this blurb about Murky is still on the LT site:

Actually the quote, which refers to the coffee program at Liberty and not at Northside, is still basically accurate. Nick Cho was the provider of both the equipment and the know-how that still informs the coffee service at Liberty ( i know because I witnessed his teaching lesson for the Liberty staff). Now that could change once Northside opens....but the beans at Northside will still be provided by Counter Culture.

Northside Social will be opening on Monday and I just confirmed via Twitter that they will have 64 seats outside. http://goo.gl/LcgG

I am really looking forward to the opening, the menu posted online looks awesome and so do the renovations.

Northside Social will be opening on Monday and I just confirmed via Twitter that they will have 64 seats outside. http://goo.gl/LcgG

Actually, the latest news on facebook is that the opening will be on Wednesday. Something about getting the filtration system installed.

ETA: Here's an article. The menu can be found here.

Actually, the latest news on facebook is that the opening will be on Wednesday. Something about getting the filtration system installed.

ETA: menu can be found here.

Wow, perhaps it's because of the "Social" theme, but I read that as "flirtation system".

Oh well, maybe next time.

Absolutely! Starting Tomorrow (Dec 14, 2009) we will be serving fresh baked goods, Counter Culture coffee and espresso, and whole beans at our pop-up coffee shop at The Liberty Tavern from 8AM-12PM. Starting the next day, Tuesday the 15th, Chef Liam will also be preparing the best egg sandwiches I have ever eaten (and I've had a lot of egg sandwiches).

ETA: Here's an article. The menu can be found here.

There are no egg sandwiches on that menu. Does that mean breakfast is limited to pastries?

There are no egg sandwiches on that menu. Does that mean breakfast is limited to pastries?

Northside Social is officially opening on Monday, but today and tomorrow they're doing a "soft opening" to train the staff. Egg sandwiches are indeed on the menu. The place looks great, particularly compared to Murky Coffee. Well worth the wait.

Can't wait! Milk chocolate peanut butter cookie is making my mouth water.

Northside Social is officially opening on Monday, but today and tomorrow they're doing a "soft opening" to train the staff. Egg sandwiches are indeed on the menu. The place looks great, particularly compared to Murky Coffee. Well worth the wait.

I had a chance to visit the sneak peak of Northside Social this past weekend, and visited again this morning to try the food. Overall, I am very impressed. Great Coffee. Huge selection of baked goods and the breakfast sandwich I had with Maple Sausage, Poached Egg, and VT Cheddar was fantastic. I have a more thorough review on my blog.

I would highly recommend checking out their breakfast selection, I have not had a chance to try their evening menu, but it looks good.

I am curious to see if it will be the immediate success that Liberty Tavern was. That place seemed to be packed from day 1. I can't imagine the stress level they are experiencing right now, with opening Northside Social, Lyon Hall, and running Liberty Tavern all at the same time.

Huge selection of baked goods.

I love that Northside Social sells loafs of the bread Liberty Tavern uses in their bread plates...and for only $3!

Stopped by today for coffee and sandwich. Both were excellent. So nice to have good coffee in our end of the 'hood again. Congrats to Alison and the whole LT team.

Stopped in this morning for a coffee and mufffin. I really like the look and feel of the renovated space. Very bright and airy. I used to go to Murky everyday before work and I am very pleased I get to continue that trend at NSS. Congrats on the new digs.

Stopped in tonight for dinner, coffee, and studying. Sandwich was really tasty - the pork belly with broccoli rabe and mozzarella. Also came with a small fruit salad. Compared it to the pork sandwich at Taylor - maybe unfairly bc of the size and style but the ingredients reminded me of it. The cheese was not nearly as prominent but the sandwich still tasted balanced, albeit slightly greasy - it was a pannini with fatty pork. Not as good as taylors, but again prob an unfair comparison. Thought the price ($7) was fair and reflected the size/quality of it. Classic cappuccino was exactly how I remembered it from murky - delicious!

Now for my companion's take...

I [Companion #1] stopped by for coffee this morning; it was fantastic. Absolutely perfect (the apology for the slightly skewed foam art was unnecessary; the cappuccino was fantastic - call it a clef and you're golden).

Now for my evening experience...

Ordered a 6oz glass of the Blaufraenkisch at $11. The wine was delicious, but let's talk about the pour. The first server poured a glass that was slightly below the widest point of Northside's red wine glasses. It looked more than a little short (in the glass and in the newly opened bottle), and I asked if it was a 6oz or 3oz - my eyes aren't that bad. The server assured me that the glasses were large, and it was indeed a 6oz pour.

That would have been the end of the story, but at the same time, the customer next to me ordered two 6oz pours that a 2nd server filled at least a fat finger above the mid-point of his glass. Not to be a bastard, because my server looked like she was new on the job (or industry), I asked the 2nd server if my glass was a 6oz-er... referring to the 2 glasses that he had just poured. The response was, "those were special circumstances."

So, special circumstances are cool, and I understand them, but what really set me off was seeing 3 more glasses of red and white come out with pours well above my 6oz. "More special circumstances," I assume.

I feel like a shit for ratting on the cool kids, but guys, don't make me want to bring a measuring cup next time I visit.

If you say, "yeah, that looks a little short" and give me an extra splash, I leave happy and probably forget about the whole thing. Now, it's like an itch that I can't scratch.

I [Companion #1] stopped by for coffee this morning; it was fantastic. Absolutely perfect (the apology for the slightly skewed foam art was unnecessary; the cappuccino was fantastic - call it a clef and you're golden).

Now for my evening experience...

Ordered a 6oz glass of the Blaufraenkisch at $11. The wine was delicious, but let's talk about the pour. The first server poured a glass that was slightly below the widest point of Northside's red wine glasses. It looked more than a little short (in the glass and in the newly opened bottle), and I asked if it was a 6oz or 3oz - my eyes aren't that bad. The server assured me that the glasses were large, and it was indeed a 6oz pour.

That would have been the end of the story, but at the same time, the customer next to me ordered two 6oz pours that a 2nd server filled at least a fat finger above the mid-point of his glass. Not to be a bastard, because my server looked like she was new on the job (or industry), I asked the 2nd server if my glass was a 6oz-er... referring to the 2 glasses that he had just poured. The response was, "those were special circumstances."

So, special circumstances are cool, and I understand them, but what really set me off was seeing 3 more glasses of red and white come out with pours well above my 6oz. "More special circumstances," I assume.

I feel like a shit for ratting on the cool kids, but guys, don't make me want to bring a measuring cup next time I visit.

If you say, "yeah, that looks a little short" and give me an extra splash, I leave happy and probably forget about the whole thing. Now, it's like an itch that I can't scratch.

Companion Numero Uno, again -

thetrain and I had a lovely walk back from Northside, and because I'm a bastard, I filled my glass with water before we left, took it with me in a bottle, and measured the amount at home. 3oz! 3.5oz if I'm generous!

I didn't want to make a scene about it in Northside, and I thought that it was enough to ask 2 different servers. Obviously, I was wrong about that, but right about the pour.

I'm beyond thrilled that Northside has opened, and I'll be back there often and with enthusiasm. Screw-ups happen, but guys, try to not to make this one. I love you all.

...I offer myself for vigorous junk-punching.