PS7's, Chef Peter Smith at 777 I Street, Verizon Center - With Sous Chef Andrew Markert - Closed

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Packed to the gills tonight. Managed to get a Scorched Milk (tastes similar to egg nog) that was tasty. The arancine were good, but 4 smallish pieces for $8 seems a bit steep. Need to go back when the noise is not deafening.

1. They have the best happy hour deals in town. Yes, some place that I have yet to find may be better, but the chance that these deals would be in a restaurant as nice as this and in such a bustling area would be slim to none.

R.I.P. Washington's best happy hour. Cocktails, Tuna Slider, Hot Dogs all no longer discounted prior to 7pm.

I was one of the lucky dogs able to preview a bar tasting menu that Chef Peter and Gina concocted together. Holy cow! It was incredible! Gina's pairings go from a bubbly start to the tasty scorched milk Everything in between perfectly matches Chef's inspired tastings. Menu items may change slightly from what we had, but it's a must try AND it's value for the price. Great food, great service. Can't wait for my next visit.

I was one of the lucky dogs able to preview a bar tasting menu that Chef Peter and Gina concocted together. Holy cow! It was incredible! Gina's pairings go from a bubbly start to the tasty scorched milk Everything in between perfectly matches Chef's inspired tastings. Menu items may change slightly from what we had, but it's a must try AND it's value for the price. Great food, great service. Can't wait for my next visit.

What's the price going to be?

Packed to the gills tonight.
Seriously - it was impressive! The bf got there really early and managed to secure a corner nook for us that was away from the crowd, and it made for a delightful HH experience. Drinks were excellent (I tried the gin/kumquat concoction and my partner in crime tried a manhattan and something truly fabulous called "across the pond"). Loved the chicago dogs and dauphine bars but would have been happier with more condiment on the plate in both cases.

R.I.P. Washington's best happy hour. Cocktails, Tuna Slider, Hot Dogs all no longer discounted prior to 7pm.

Really? Do you know why? Are the happy hour drink deals gone as well? That stinks! It was one of the best deals in town with delicious food. I'll still return since it's one of my favorite bars/restaurants but I liked getting it on the cheap a lot more.

The menu I had last night still said that happy hours were M-F, 4-7. Were you told something different b/c we were planning on trying to hit it sometime this week...?

The menu I had last night still said that happy hours were M-F, 4-7. Were you told something different b/c we were planning on trying to hit it sometime this week...?
There is still a happy hour, but it is a far cry from what it's been the past few years. They still discount a single red and white wine (unspecified, but the red has been a california cab that I find undrinkable for at least the past several months) as well as flatbreads, but no longer the entire cocktail menu and range of other small plates. So there is still a happy hour prior to 7pm, but no longer a separate happy hour menu and a much more limited selection of happy hour priced options. The new drink menu is swell though.

There is still a happy hour, but it is a far cry from what it's been the past few years. They still discount a single red and white wine (unspecified, but the red has been a california cab that I find undrinkable for at least the past several months) as well as flatbreads, but no longer the entire cocktail menu and range of other small plates. So there is still a happy hour prior to 7pm, but no longer a separate happy hour menu and a much more limited selection of happy hour priced options. The new drink menu is swell though.

:P

PS7's happy hour:

$4 Sparkling, Red Wine or White Wine.

$3 Beer

$4 Cocktail- which changes on a daily basis.

In addition there is a selection of food that is discounted including the flatbreads.

Hours of Happy are available between 4 and 7pm during the weekdays.

enjoy!

Just wanted to add that the reason the happy hour food menu is more limited is because with the roll out of the new menu, Chef Peter Smith has reduced the prices on many items (and added some great new ones) and therefore it's always happy hour at PS7's . . .

Give it a try, Chef and Gina are seriosly revamping the entire restaurant and some exciting food and cocktails are the result, including the tasting menu which is only available at the bar. $77 buys you 7 cocktails and 7 courses and it's pairings after my own heart.

Lastly, in fairness, I would like to mention that I do work at PS7's. I have known Gina for quite some time and have always looked for an opportunity to work with her. She's smart, fun, and makes killer cocktails. But I did have my doubts, having not been there for almost a year...

After two visits of cocktails, wine, and food I was hooked; after meeting Chef Peter Smith and experiencing first hand the enthusiasm that he has for his restaurant, I couldn't see going anywhere else.

lw

Lunch at the bar today, totally intending to chek out the Reuben. Forgot it was RW, rolled with it. Mussels in a creamy curry broth were spot-on, braised short rib likewise. The dessert options are pretty wild...I ended up with Orange Cake with cilantro sauce and anise-brittle. Manager-type said the new pastry chef is all about using savory ingredients in dessert, very interesting. I wasn't crazy about the dessert, but it was certainly the most interesting one I've had in a while, and that counts for something. Nice glass of $8 Côtes du Rhône with the beef. Win.

Gina is a tremendous drinkmaster. I fell in love with her cocktails at Rasika then Eat Bar. She continues her mastery at PS7. I loved the "Easy as Sunday Morning".

Has anyone tried the new Lounge Menu? Any recommendations? Some of the new additions looks great....I'm especially curious about the oxtail tots and dauphine bars.

I'm thinking of heading there tonight before an event. Hopefully the bar/lounge won't be too packed for Restaurant Week. Looking forward to checking out some of the newer items.

Has anyone tried the new Lounge Menu? Any recommendations? Some of the new additions looks great....I'm especially curious about the oxtail tots and dauphine bars.

I'm thinking of heading there tonight before an event. Hopefully the bar/lounge won't be too packed for Restaurant Week. Looking forward to checking out some of the newer items.

Those of us who gathered for happy hour last night tried several things - maybe not a lot of the new items - and all were very good. The oxtail tots were bite-sized and delicious - rich - and tried after a lot of other things, so I was pretty full. We also had the 'ducky' flat bread, 'Primanti Brothers' Special (Thanks Gina!), PS7's Burger, and Chicago dogs. Not a miss in the bunch - how can there be, with pizza, burgers, and dogs :P

The youngest member of our party enjoyed a few of the alcohol-free cocktails and was very pleased with them - Easy as Sunday Morning was good in both forms and Peter's Pickled Peppers (w/gin) was great (for those who like the savory, spicy, and briny - which I do). Chi (try this - it's very good and the wasabi is much more subtle than you might expect), Across the Pond, g.H. Sazerac, Scorched Milk, "Yes we Can"ton, Sloe Burn, AND a beer cocktail were all enjoyed by our party.

I arrived at about 5:45pm and was able to snag some space for our group. Not much after that the entire lounge was packed and remained that way for a couple of hours. Get there early if you can.

Give it a try, Chef and Gina are seriosly revamping the entire restaurant and some exciting food and cocktails are the result, including the tasting menu which is only available at the bar. $77 buys you 7 cocktails and 7 courses and it's pairings after my own heart.

Lastly, in fairness, I would like to mention that I do work at PS7's. I have known Gina for quite some time and have always looked for an opportunity to work with her. She's smart, fun, and makes killer cocktails. But I did have my doubts, having not been there for almost a year...

After two visits of cocktails, wine, and food I was hooked; after meeting Chef Peter Smith and experiencing first hand the enthusiasm that he has for his restaurant, I couldn't see going anywhere else.

lw

I don't work at PS 7's, but I do share your enthusiasm. I fell in love w/PS 7 after taking a cooking class through TasteDC with Chef Peter Smith. His passion for food is totally evident and his tastes (lots of meat, mushrooms and salt) suit me terrifically. He's also always gone the extra mile for us, like rushing to get me some homemade duck proscuitto so I could recreate one of his dishes for my dinner club, or bringing out a complimentary charcuterie plate on my birthday. Not every meal has been flawless (mostly there have been tiny issues with service), but across the board one of the more consistent places. I'm guessing the menu is very different from the last time I was there, but I did have the ducky flatbread at the bar - delish!

I only wish I had known about the 7 course menu before I went to Oval Room for RW last night. :P

I was in the bar at PS7s last night from 6:30 to 9:00. It was probably much more crowded than usual even for RW because there were two large groups of attorneys having a joint happy hour there. So, don't be deterred. My husband and I considered staying there for dinner after the happy hour, but after 2.5 hours of non-stop noise, I really wanted a change of scenery.

Lunch at the bar today, totally intending to chek out the Reuben. Forgot it was RW, rolled with it. Mussels in a creamy curry broth were spot-on, braised short rib likewise. The dessert options are pretty wild...I ended up with Orange Cake with cilantro sauce and anise-brittle. Manager-type said the new pastry chef is all about using savory ingredients in dessert, very interesting. I wasn't crazy about the dessert, but it was certainly the most interesting one I've had in a while, and that counts for something. Nice glass of $8 Côtes du Rhône with the beef. Win.

Actually stopped by myself last Friday during lunch for RW and had the exact same dishes to start; the excellent mussels and the braised short rib. The short rib was a little bit fattier than I prefer, even for a short rib, but I also ate the whole thing rather greedily, so I couldn't have disliked it that much......

Dessert was the banana crisp with the rum and Coke ice cream which was......interesting. The ice cream tasted very good, and was something I'd like to try and reproduce myself, but I wasn't as impressed with the banana crisp. Lacked something for me.

Overall though, impressed with the place in general, and I'm intrigued to go back to check out the lounge menu.

Had extended-Restaurant Week lunch here today -- the space was disturbingly quiet (by the time I left at about 1:30, the front room was more than half full, but the rest was empty), but the food was very tasty. I had the smoked salmon salad appetizer, the seafood soup (which was a thai-style thick broth with crispy udon noodles, some sort of white fish (can't remember - maybe snapper?), and shellfish, on top of a noodle cake), and the cheesecake. The dessert was especially good -- attractively presented with raspberry sauce, fresh pineapple, and pickled grapes (the grapes were not my thing, but were easily ignored) -- and the brule-ed sugar on the top of the cheesecake was a stroke of genius. If anyone is looking for something to do tomorrow for lunch, I highly recommend taking advantage of the last day of the deal!

Had extended-Restaurant Week lunch here today -- the space was disturbingly quiet (by the time I left at about 1:30, the front room was more than half full, but the rest was empty), but the food was very tasty. I had the smoked salmon salad appetizer, the seafood soup (which was a thai-style thick broth with crispy udon noodles, some sort of white fish (can't remember - maybe snapper?), and shellfish, on top of a noodle cake), and the cheesecake. The dessert was especially good -- attractively presented with raspberry sauce, fresh pineapple, and pickled grapes (the grapes were not my thing, but were easily ignored) -- and the brule-ed sugar on the top of the cheesecake was a stroke of genius. If anyone is looking for something to do tomorrow for lunch, I highly recommend taking advantage of the last day of the deal!
Thanks for the suggestion! They were not empty today and I was similarly pleased. Several options for each course and no upcharges. I had the mussles to start, which are a similar preparation to your seafood stew, but were perfectly cooked in that none of them were overly chewy, which I think is a result of a proper cooking time. And the brulee-ing of the dessert is a great call. I'm interested to see what else the new pastry chef has up his sleeve. Add PS7s to the list of places that do a good job with RW.

On THursday we had a restaurant week dinner at PS-7s. Yummy, beginning to end!

For 25 $, we started with a bottle of Cab Sav. (Turtle Creek maybe). It was good but nothing special.

1st Course: mussels in a thai curry broth. The broth was so good that we used the bread to sop it up. We also had a pickled fennel and beet salad. It was light and refreshing and perfectly well dressed.

2nd Course: Beef tenderloin (perfectly well cooked and it melted in my mouth...how do they do that?) and Cod. My plate of cod was great. The flavors were strong enough to stand up to the red wine and moreover, the cod was perfectly well cooked. I had a tilapia earlier in the day at Acadiana that was dry, really bland too so I was pleased to have such a great experience. Also on the place was a fabulous cucumber spaghetti(I"m guessing at the veg). IT was so tasty, I wanted more. The only disappointment was the black rice. It was sort of mushy and bland but I make it at home a lot so didn't miss it.

3rd Course: I didn't love the selection of sweets. I don't like fruit-tasting sweets unless it is a fruit. But my husband cleaned both plates so he loved the orange cream cake and the banana crunch (my preference of the two).

I hope to check out the lounge soon.

Went last night. My wife had the beet and fennel salad, which was lively and refreshing. I opted for a goat cheese flatbread which was so simple and so good. I'd come back just for that.

My wife opted for the chicken dish which was prepared in a ballotine style of breast circles and a pulled dark meat chicken pile that was divine. So good. I opted for the cod. Whoa. The only thing that did not stand out on the plate to me was the 'forbidden rice' The 'noodles' of cucumber salad were amazing.

The banana dessert was delicious as was the manchengo cheesecake (which looked like little cut in hald seared scallops. Inventive, tasty, light and fun.

A negroni to kick it off was a tad heavy handed, but the 'easy like sunday morning' concoction was wonderful. Brought a 2006 Peay Chardonnay (Hirsch Vineyard) that was phenomenal.

When I hit the RW menu the other day - I'll concur with how good the mussels were - I was a bit hesitant about the desserts, too. I'm not a huge dessert guy, and I'm not a big fan of pineapple. That being said, the pineapple dessert was fan-fugu-tastic.

(Of course, so far just about everything I've had there has been great, so I should've expected as such...)

They've taken the reuben ($8), a notoriously difficult thing to pull off successfully, and avoided the "too soggy" issue by serving the sandwich open-faced and abandoning any attempt at keeping the bread crispy. A bit sad since I was hoping for the "perfect" reuben, but still very tasty. Skip the $4 "pommes frites" (the same super-thin fries that I've expressed my dislike for in the past).

A rather good lunch, despite all my nitpicking. Coworkers enjoyed their burgers and the primanti bros sandwich.

I have had another fantastic meal at PS7's. Lunch was, for me, the Alice salad and the seafood stew. Someone at the next table said that the stew was too salty and sent it back. While I thought it was salty, I liked it. My dining companion had not been before but loved her squash bisque and flatbread. I tasted the flatbread and too was impressed.

My wife and I ate here for the first time on Friday and enjoyed it very much. Most enjoyable: There were loads of empty tables a little before 8PM, when we showed up. (Hope that's not a bad sign for the future. On the upside, it was significantly more full by the time we left.)

My wife proclaimed the nutty goat flatbread "one of the best things [she's] ever had." (Also, by far the best word in the history of the whole world is hyperbole.)

Anybody happen to know if PS7's is still offering some sort of lunch special?

My dad's coming down to DC, and I want to take him out to lunch. I'm in the process of picking between PS7's and Proof, but if PS7's still has that $20 lunch menu, or a similar offer, then I think that makes the decision for me.

PS7's no longer has their great lunch special, but they have several cheap options, including sandwiches under $7 (with add-ons available) and flatbreads all around $11-12.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd go Proof, but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Went again last night. Tried their hot dog trio with fries. The hot dogs were delicious, but I prefer a bit more snap in the casing. The fries were tasty and I think drizzled with a light hand of vinegar and finely minced chives. Nice, but the vinegar soaked the fries a tad -- I prefer fries to be crispy.

I had these 'Oxtail Tots' -- basically nothing but pure ox tail meaty goodness battered very lightly and deep fried along with a sauce reduction to dip the suckers in. Course of the night for me So delicious. My wife had the curried pear salad, which was refreshing, slightly unusual and delicious. The one thing that I think needs to be mentioned about this restaurant is this -- they know how to use salt properly. So many places either underseason or even a few exist that regularly over season, especially with salt. PS7 gets it right -- particularly in salads.

I moved on to a braised duck leg, which was wonderful, meaty and delicious. My wife had a halibut special that involved watermelon in the sauce that livened the dish up and was a new experience. Nice.

For dessert we split this hazelnus creme on top of a cookie crust base with butterscotch pearls and more. Very nice.

I'll be back.

I took work colleagues to celebrate a birthday at PS7's on Friday. As always,yummy and everyone is so gracious.

I had the salmon and it was PERFECT. Usually when I order medium-rare fish, it is medium but this was medium rare with a delicious crunch to the skin. I don't remember what yummy-ness was under the fish but I loved that too. The greens on top (fresh) added nice texture and lightness to what otherwise might have been a heavier preparation.

Keep up the good work!

Had a late dinner at PS7 on Saturday night. The service was unobtrusively good. Both salads, Spinach with Warm Bacon, and Beet and Pickled Fennel were superb with many layers of flavors. The Halibut Special and the Sesame Crusted Tuna with Shellfish continued on a high note. The breads were as good as ever. I need to get here more often.

-Ed

I had these 'Oxtail Tots' -- basically nothing but pure ox tail meaty goodness battered very lightly and deep fried along with a sauce reduction to dip the suckers in. Course of the night for me So delicious. .

Aren't those Oxtail Tots out of this world?? I instantly fell in love with them. The bartenders and I talked about them for about 15 minutes. They are the perfect snack food! They only serve about 4 or 5 in the dish, but I could easily eat 10!

Aren't those Oxtail Tots out of this world?? I instantly fell in love with them. The bartenders and I talked about them for about 15 minutes. They are the perfect snack food! They only serve about 4 or 5 in the dish, but I could easily eat 10!

I could easily eat 50.

I went to the Matthiasson wine dinner last night. Fantastic meal. The highlights:

The pickled ramp martini, with bonus pickled asparagus goodness. I would eat every spear of that asparagus that they own.

Sweetbread pie: A little pie crust stuffed with peas, some local charc's bacon, cream, onions, etc topped with a perfectly crisp and melt in the mouth hunk of sweetbread. I am not even doing this dish justice, it had many other details but my god. I could have stopped the meal then and it would have been a success.

The local grass-fed sirloin stuffed with morels and leeks, with a crispy panko coating. This was chicken-fried steak dines at the palace. Somehow so tender yet meaty and delicious.

All in all this was a great event, lots of fun, met some cool people. For once I wasn't the only one smelling each component and dragging a pinkie through the sauce when no one was looking (well almost no one). I got a lesson on throat thymus vs heart thymus, and whether or not (DONT) to soak/blanch the sweetbreads in my freezer. The other food and the wines were great as well. I happily give praise once more to what remains my favorite place to eat in DC.

We ate at the bar on Saturday night and I forgot to post about it. Tried the oxtail tots for the first time, as delicious as everyone upthread has said. I had a hibiscus margarita which I found deliciously tart and sweet. Gina also made us "magic" chocolate milkshakes - yum! and we owe Gina further thanks for recommending the chef's burger - regular burger with the following toppings; onion rings, pork belly, medium cooked egg and gruyere - excellent!!

I was juliusc91's dining companion at the Matthiasson wine dinner on Wednesday night and loved every bit of it. One of the better meals I've had in my life honestly. Of course, you can tell from my earlier posts that I'm a huge fan of chef Peter Smith's and this was really an opportunity for him to shine, but the meal exceeded my expectations. I'll only add to what my friend said.

Our second course was a cured halibut, very thinly sliced and served with arugula, a strawberry sauce, and a sprinkling of a hot pepper that was really incredible, and paired really well with the interesting Matthiasson white. I'm not doing this dish justice either, especially b/c I can't remember the name of the spice, some ethnic pepper that slowly build up it's heat (but according to chef, and I also learned the hard way, will numb your tongue if eaten alone). For me, this dish stands out a bit more b/c I expect great meat dishes from PS 7's, but I don't typically order the fish. In any event, a delicious combination of flavors that really surprised me.

The sweetbread dish changed my mind on sweetbreads. I have only had them a couple of times before, and mostly remember them as being sort of non-descript and mushy, taking on the flavor of whatever they were served in. The sweetbread in this dish was meaty, and full of flavor, but still tender and perfectly fried. I could have been content with just the sweetbread and the sauce on the plate (there were two actually, but the one I speak of was a veal reduction I believe), but add bacon, onions, peas in a creamy sauce with a perfectly flaky crust, just yum. There was also shrimp in the pie, but for me I'm not sure if I cared.

I think the dessert deserves mention too. I'm not a huge desert person and I'm especially not a fan of flans, creme brulees, and the like. In any event, we were served (and my foodie grammar is going to totally fail me here) what I think was a coconut flan, with a thin little cookie on top, served with tropical fruits and sauce. It was paired with a dessert wine from the distributor made completely from late harvest chenin blanc. This may actually have been my favorite pairing of the night and the dessert was delicious, clean and refreshing and a very nice end to a fabulous meal.

We discussed at the table how PS 7's remains an under-recognized restaurant for our area and this meal only reinforced my feelings on that. I can't wait to go back for some ducky flatbread and another glass of the oustanding Acorn rose.

After a long couple of days I wanted to relax so I headed over to PS7's. Marshall met me there in time for us to get filmed by the Washington Post guy doing a bit with Gina; later our buddy Roy showed up.

We all got the burgers - Marshall and Roy the chef burgers, and myself the reuben burger. I tried some of the chef burger and it was fantastic. The reuben burger was always great - I almost wish they could do 'em smaller, even slider sized, so you could have both!

We hung out with Gina and had a variety of tasty beverages, as always. PS7 I think right now is one of the places I go to when I just want to relax, have a bit, and end up laughing a lot; even if it's because I was having drinking issues with other people's drinks...

+1 for the oxtail tots. I also really enjoyed the Nutty Goat flatbread, Sarah's salad and "the Cure."

Actually finally ate dinner at PS7's last night after normally hanging and eating at the bar. I love Gina, miss having her at Eat Bar so I don't have to go so far, but love what she has done here. Their bar food is just great. That Primanti Brothes sandwich while not the original makes me happy to have something with similar flavor nearby.

But last night sat at a table. Ordered a bottle of sparkling wine and had a good time with a friend. Started with oxtail tots, then had the cornmeal encrusted trout with green beans, which was fresh and good. Had a nice crunch on the crust but the fish was perfectly moist, nicely seasoned. The green beans were cooked nicely and I liked the sauce. Not anything over the top just really good.

What I really loved was the Creme Brulee Cake with raspberry sorbet. The cake part to it had a great lavender flavor and was moist and dense. I would love to have the recipe for just the cake part (well I would take the whole recipe). I love lavender and this was great for me. The sorbet on top gave a nice freshness to it, the custard in the middle was nice for moisture, sweetness and texture, but I could have eaten a big piece of just the cake on the bottom.

I went to the bar tonight with superhigh expectations. I ordered a cocktail and didn't like it...too sweet (I didn't complain). I did enjoy the red wine on special. My biggest complaint was the service. AT one point, I tried to get the server's attention for 15 minutes. Alas, no luck. It was VERY LOUD at the bar as well but I expected that. Since I had enjoyed so many meals at PS7's, I was particularily surprised at the difference between the dining room and bar service. I'll be back, but i'm over the bar already.

I went to the bar tonight with superhigh expectations. I ordered a cocktail and didn't like it...too sweet (I didn't complain). I did enjoy the red wine on special. My biggest complaint was the service. AT one point, I tried to get the server's attention for 15 minutes. Alas, no luck. It was VERY LOUD at the bar as well but I expected that. Since I had enjoyed so many meals at PS7's, I was particularily surprised at the difference between the dining room and bar service. I'll be back, but i'm over the bar already.
It could be because Gina's at Tales that the ship isn't run so tightly?? Otherwise, I don't recall waiting 15mins for service.... No excuses either way, perhaps...

SSSooooooo Honey Muffin and I tried to make PS7's popcorn last night. We failed.

For those not in the know, the bar snack is popcorn which has, I'm guessing, salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, and garlic in it as well as either butter or evoo.

We used fresh rosemary and found the flavor to be too bitter. I wonder if they use dried rosemary...I wonder if I've outlined the flavor profile correctly....I wonder if I'll have to give the bar another chance just to figure out this mystery...

I would like to apologize for the service on July 9th, I (its Gina BTW) would love for you and a guest to come back to PS 7's for a cocktail on us. Please give me a call at PS 7's (202-742-8550) and let me know when you will be in again, so I can spoil you.

Cheers,

Gina