PS7's, Chef Peter Smith at 777 I Street, Verizon Center - With Sous Chef Andrew Markert - Closed

I've been getting a lot of emails from PS 7's lately of specials that they're running. It makes me really nervous that they might be in trouble due to the economy. Does anyone know if this is the case? Either way, putting my plug in for people to stop by for dinner so so one of my favorite DC restaurants doesn't go under! I'm hoping to get down there soon myself.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I met some friends at PS7's this week for the first time for pre-movie happy hour. The food was excellent. The popcorn, though seriously stale, had us addicted because of the great spice. The oxtail tots are everything folks here have said and more--delicious. And the duck and the prosciutto flatbreads were wonderful. You can't beat the deals--half price on the flatbreads and some wines during happy hour. And the cocktails, especially the sazerac, are excellent.

Small point though: what's up with the decor? When I got to the bar it was pretty packed and seems clearly designed to be cool and modern and streamlined. But it's showing its age. And on top of it, it's, well messy--stuffed animals and cheap tchotchkes on the bar, plants in food cans on the window sill, worn down bathrooms...

I'm all for modern, and I'm all for homey. But this just really seemed... run down? Is that the right description? A modern place that has good product but has seen better days?

I suppose that's the eventual fate of all new, stylish places--to get nicked around the corners and show their age--but it just made the experience a bit... off. I might go back, but the environment is just... meh.

This is a second-hand report, but my wife went to PS7 last night with some colleagues of hers and came back raving about the experience. Apparently the tuna sliders, the halibut, and everything else they had was fantastic. The "gnome water" cocktail was also a big hit (Hendrick's, cucumber water, lavender). We were there ourselves a couple months ago for a pre-theater dinner and also were extremely impressed. A highlight for us, which my wife mentioned again last night, is the quiet dining room that permits real conversations.

Last night stopped by and tried a crusta style cocktail with a rootbeer sugared rim. Just terrific! The name escapes me, but easily found on the menu.

I'm curious about the drink you're talking about. I'm tempted to try it, but looking at some of the ingredients (e.g., vanilla) am wondering if I won't like it, especially if it's sickeningly sweet. What's it like, if you remember? Thanks.

I'm curious about the drink you're talking about. I'm tempted to try it, but looking at some of the ingredients (e.g., vanilla) am wondering if I won't like it, especially if it's sickeningly sweet. What's it like, if you remember? Thanks.

The Sun and Sand: Rootbeer crust, fresh orange, Brugal, and vanilla. Sounds like a play on the Blood and Sand (suddenly the most popular classic cocktail on local menus nowadays) which also uses orange juice but is an equal parts cocktail. I think they only used a couple drops of vanilla; that and the rootbeer-sugared crust make for compelling aromatics. If I had to guess, I'd say the recipe is 1.5 oz Brugal rum, 1.5 oz orange juice, and the vanilla.

It's definitely not sickeningly sweet. In fact, I find the regular Blood and Sand to be a bit sweeter, without the sugared rim. I'm sure if you requested just a half-crusted glass to cut back on the sugar, that they would do it.

Was at PS7s a few Fridays ago for some drinks and bar snacks. Tried a few of the various cocktails, all quite nice and tasty. As for food, everything was great - the only so-so was the flatbread (walnut/goat something?) that wasn't quite hot and pretty skimpy on the goat cheese. Overall a solid beverage/food experience, the only downside was that the service was pretty slow. To be fair, an order for a bottled beer that went unfulfilled for 10 minutes was comped, but in addition it seemed that the staff attentiveness and execution was lacking any timeliness. At one point we were even offered someone else's tab to settle =p Given that the bar was barely 1/2 full, not sure what the issue was. Having said all that - I'll definitely be back to give it another shot...

I've been in a rut, albeit a delicious one. Mr. lperry returned from another trip into the wilds of Virginia with a gallon of freshly pressed apple cider.

This post reminded me that Gina now has a fresh apple press, so there's freshly pressed apple cider with various infusions going on right now. So go...

This post reminded me that Gina now has a fresh apple press, so there's freshly pressed apple cider with various infusions going on right now. So go...

Gina's apple cider is really, really good. The perfect Fall drink! They have also changed around their drink menu to be more seasonal. I highly recommend checking it out.

Had a bar lunch here today and it was scrumptious. The tuna sliders were incredible bites of deliciousness, and the oxtail tots, a riff on tater tots, were excellent and meaty. I didn't have the appetite for the PS7 take on the Primanti sandwich, but that's my next visit. I'm up for a HH here anytime. And by the way, the bartender knows us all well, and said her handle here is 'mixtress' (pardon any spelling errors).

Hi all:

I read the most recent set of reviews (from fall) and they focused on the bar. I'm going to dinner there tomorrow night and was wondering if anybody had some suggestions or reviews of the dinner menu that they would like to share.

thanks, NC

MrP and I went there on a whim about 3 or 4 weeks ago, on a rainy, miserable Monday night. I don't remember everything we had, but there was a vegetable tart, a mushroom risotto, and another mushroom presentation of some sort. And several other small dishes. We didn't order anything challenging or innovative, it wasn't the culinary highlight of the year, but it really hit the spot.

Also, the bartender was able to make a light version of the scorched milk cocktail. Usually reducing the alcohol-to-other stuff ratio is death for a cocktail, but this time it worked fine. It was the first time I was able to drink bourbon in 8 months, so I was grateful.

OUr dinner last night was fantastic.

I had the rockfish special which was small compared with the others on our table but it was yummy. My husband had the duck and I had about a fourth of that. YUM. Fantastic. I want more, now! The duck was a perfect medium-rare, accompanied by potatoes, a rich brown glaze, and some fried onion shavings. My dinner companions are hard to please foodies and very much enjoyed their sirloin steak with golden rings (friend onion rings) and the trout dish. The steak plate was clean, CLEAN, i tell you, before it was sent back to the kitchen. I didn't taste the dish, but that's enough evidence for me. The trout was generous and was too all gone, but the dish not completely clean. (for starters we had the goat flatbread, smelled better than tasted, and Sara's salad which was good as always).

I've noticed a few complaints about service on this thread and so feel obligated to add mine. I dine at PS7s regularily, but usually for lunch. My only service laps notice was at the very crowded bar one night, but never in the dining room. However, last night our waitress was not giving us the service that I've come to expect from PS7s. For example were going to order dessert but our waitress (40s, blond) was SO SLOW that we decided not to order desert by the time she came back to take our order.

The kitchen DID send out chocolate covered mouse puffs that were fantastic and divine. I played the pregnancy card to get the fourth one as one of the dinners is diabetic. I want more of those things. Also, I would like to increase my food vocabulary. ;-)

Finally, and this is probably just me, I fell AGAIN leaving the bathroom (there is a step from the bathrooms into the dining room). My left ankle is swollen and i've got a slight limp. I ONLY mention this because this is the second time i've fallen there. The last time was lunch and I was not pregnant. Am I the only one?

Special note to PS7s: These complaints are minor.

I have a game I play with my Forum Hosts - it's called Pass The Turd. ;)

I'm not touching that particular turd, but I would like to say this.

If anyone declines to go to PS7 for personal reasons based upon hearsay which has nothing to do with the food, then they are doing themselves a disservice.

The food at PS7 is outstanding, and Gina's cocktails alone are worth a visit. Blend the two together and you have every reason to go and go often :P

Yes, I consider chef/owner Peter Smith a friend, as I do bar manager Gina Chersevani, but their professional abilities have earned my trust and patronage. Their friendship is a happy bonus for me.

Peter's fried chicken is the ONLY fried chicken that I have ever dreamt about, lusted over, and had perverse cravings for. I cannot explain it, I simply and gratefully accept it.

Oh, and there will be a kickoff reception for the Washington International Wine and Food Festival this Thursday, February 11th at PS7, with Chef/owner Peter Smith AND Equinox restaurant's Chef/owner Todd Gray:

Festival Kick-Off Reception

Date: Thursday, February 11th

Time: 6:00pm - 8:00pm

Tickets: $50

Co-Hosted by two of DC's favorite chefs Todd Gray (Equinox) & Peter Smith (PS7s), this Festival opener offers guests the chance to enjoy delicious bites and sip some regional Festival wines. Both chefs will be on hand to share their expertise on food and wine pairings.

For $50, this may be THE culinary bargain of the new year thus far. :)

I have eaten at some great "bars" in this area (Cityzen, Corduroy, Eve), but when it comes to eating at a "bar" that has the feeling of a "bar", granted an upscale one, I still think that PS7's does it better than anyone else. I don't think that anything on the menu is more the $12, the food leans towards typical bar food with a bit of sophistication (oxtail tots) and the drinks are spot on. Add this to a comfortable atmosphere and very reasonable happy hour prices, I simply think it is the best "bar" eating in the city.

If you stop by the lounge on a hot and humid day, the Cross Pollenation ($11 -Evan Williams Honey/Bluecoat Gin/citrus dust/bitter spritz) will put you at ease and even cleanse your palate for whatever you will be ordering. That is, unless Gina has made some of her Chartreuse punch for the day (although the punch of the day is usually worth trying at $7 a glass).

Quite lovely...

If you stop by the lounge on a hot and humid day, the Cross Pollenation ($11 -Evan Williams Honey/Bluecoat Gin/citrus dust/bitter spritz) will put you at ease and even cleanse your palate for whatever you will be ordering. That is, unless Gina has made some of her Chartreuse punch for the day (although the punch of the day is usually worth trying at $7 a glass).

Quite lovely...

Also congratulations to PS7's for their recent hiring of the talented Andrew Markert as sous chef.

I need to give a shout out to PS7s because they were wonderful last night. My friends put together an engagement party for me and my +1 and reserved the PS7s patio (free of charge!). The weather couldn't have been more perfect, and the two servers that were helping us out all night were amazing and right on top of everything (despite having to deal with 30-40 slightly intoxicated patrons that weren't seated at tables, but instead were wandering all over the patio). They even extended their HH specials all night for us which was incredible and so appreciated.

Off the 100 cal cocktail list everyone was really enjoying the Ant-EYE-ox-A-Dent (Skyy vodka/strawberry/anise/pomegranate/green tea - $10). Definitely a great summery refreshing drink. I was also a fan of the Chile Lady (Stoli Apple/lemon/Kashmiri chiles/apples - $10). Nice apple flavor with a little kick. Of course the HH cava was excellent for a little celebrating :lol:

I didn't love the flatbread we had (it's not on the online menu but was some combination of pork and brie), but The OMFG Dip (Seared porchetta with caramelized onions and melted gruyere on toasted foccacia with smoky pork dipping jus - $12) was so good. LOVE the name too. Savory and gooey and oh so porky. Yum. The Mac n’ Cheese? (3 pieces of Crisp fried macaroni and cheese wrapped in bacon - $10) was also just as decadent as it sounds.

Thanks again to PS7s for a great evening!

I need to give a shout out to PS7s because they were wonderful last night. My friends put together an engagement party for me and my +1 and reserved the PS7s patio (free of charge!).

Very nice and congrats! I don't remember if I ever posted on it, but PS7s did an outstanding job with our rehearsal dinner a year and a half ago as well. They seem to do really well with events -- the food and staffing for the last Repeal Day was fantastic, and the other events I've been to there have also been impressive in terms of how smoothly everything is run. I'm sure the Cocktail Week event next week will be another fine example of how well this restaurant does with big groups.

Had lunch today at PS7s, outdoors on a perfectly beautiful Friday. What a great venue, on the promenade facing the building at 801 I St. The OMFG sandwich was appropriately named and a pork-lover's delight. Loaded with pork and with a brothy dip of pork jus. I would return just for that sandwich, but, there are too many other things on the menu to return for....

post-2-127436150439_thumb.jpgpost-2-12743615246_thumb.jpg

Peter Smith (artist)

American, born 1973

Meet The Diptych, 2010

cured charcuterie on paper, sealed in Cryovac plastic bag, blue felt-tip marker, air hinge

overall: 56.8 x 20.6 cm (23 2/5 x 8 1/10 in)

Don Rockwell collection

Not on View

Cross Pollination, noun [kraws pol-uh-ney-shuhn]

1. A trite-tastic buzzword used in cubicle farms across the country referring to efforts manifesting synergy, lessons learned, and other Duckspeak.

2. A visually appealing, refreshing summer beverage from PS 7's cocktail menu, featuring Bluecoat gin & honey, displaying bitters spritzed in the shape of a bee, and a "pollen" dusting of citrus powder.

I had three tonight. You should have four.

Bzzzzzzzz.

(however, avoid the chilled corn consommé)

(the smoked jalapeño, which the server swore was not dried chipotle)

(will poke your eye out, christmas story style)

If the OMFG Dip is not the greatest sandwich in DC right now, I'd really love to know what is.

Agreed, I'm particularly diggin this sammy right now.

Cross Pollination, noun [kraws pol-uh-ney-shuhn]

1. A trite-tastic buzzword used in cubicle farms across the country referring to efforts manifesting synergy, lessons learned, and other Duckspeak.

2. A visually appealing, refreshing summer beverage from PS 7's cocktail menu, featuring Bluecoat gin & honey, displaying bitters spritzed in the shape of a bee, and a "pollen" dusting of citrus powder.

I had three tonight. You should have four.

I had two with the OMFG Dig, I need to catch-up lol.

Okay, so yes, the drinks last night were fantastic there. Frank made a great Sazerac or three...and Gina sold out of her watermelon granita drink, though I got to try it with gin. Very refreshing.

Still, what I have to say is "GET THE MATT'S MUSE IT IS FANTASTIC".

It's pit beef, pickle chips, horseradish, with homemade sweet potato crab chips - oh dear lord was it good.

We also had a Drew's burger (can't remember the full name) with fried onions and homemade steak sauce - also delicious.

Went here recently again with friends...

Chilled corn consomme was good and very 'of the corn', but did not wow me. Very refreshing though.

Tried a special ravioli with crab that was really good.

Branzino with leeks, cherry tomatoes, fava beans, mint, lobster vanilla air -- very nice, but not a WOW-er

Tuna with dashi, guajillo, hen-of-the-woods, prosciutto was well prepared and delicious...also not a WOW-er but very good.

I didn't taste it, but the 'Pork-a-lotta' looked amazing.

coconut cake looked good

donuts were deliciously simple and good

But, the thing that stuck with me was the drink before dinner -- tried the "cross Pollenation" which is Evan Williams Honey + Bluecoat gin + citrus dust + bitter spritz -- really delicious. And I am not much of a mixed drinks guy.

Give it a try, Chef and Gina are seriosly revamping the entire restaurant and some exciting food and cocktails are the result, including the tasting menu which is only available at the bar. $77 buys you 7 cocktails and 7 courses and it's pairings after my own heart.

We did the $77 tasting menu at the bar a few weeks ago and it was AMAZING. Definitely the kind of time you want to have for a casual (setting, not food) but exciting and celebratory meal with libations. I am not much of a cocktail drinker, but each course had a complex, complementary, gorgeous, and generous pour alongside it that I always tried to finish. Gina, besides being the mistress of mixology, is such a friendly host! Chef's charcuterie was heavily featured, and several courses were brought out and explained by the man himself. A fabulous experience and value. Highly recommended.

Went again, this time for restaurant week. The heirloom tomato salad was delicious. The chicken with earl grey tea papparadelle with mushrooms was good enough but the chicken was overcooked. The lemon-chocolate popover was tasty but the lemon was way way in the background.

A little disappointed because of the chicken...but otherwise good. Service was fine.

Hmmm. I wonder why I couldn't find that thread when I searched...?

The best way to find threads on specific restaurants is to go to the Dining Guide, then click on the area (Washington, Virginia, Maryland), then look for the section of town where your restaurant of choice is located. You can also try using Google: search the name of the restaurant+Don Rockwell. As Sthitch said, the DR site search function is worthless.

Hmmm. I wonder why I couldn't find that thread when I searched...?

Slightly less colorfully, searches need to be at least 4 characters.

Seriously, the best way to search for threads here is to use The Google. dr.com will almost always show up in the first few results for any DC area restaurant.

Because the search function on this site blows worse than a toothless crack whore working a glory hole.

Seconded.

(And you just reminded me of me!) :)

On a serious note, if you don't have access to the Dining Guide, i.e., you haven't posted yet, the best way to find a specific restaurant is by using Google. For example, if you enter:

donrockwell ps7's

it will come up #1.

for a restaurant with multiple words in the name, use quotes:

donrockwell "iron gate inn"

I will add, try anything on Gina's cocktail list (especially if there is ham involved - sounds weird, but trust me).

To steer this train back on track :) , I have to second that recommendation. I will also add that the contents of the punch bowl at the bar are worth checking out - especially if it contains the delicious spiced rum concoction they were serving at the Food Fight last night!

On a serious note, if you don't have access to the Dining Guide, i.e., you haven't posted yet, the best way to find a specific restaurant is by using Google. For example, if you enter:

donrockwell ps7's

it will come up #1.

for a restaurant with multiple words in the name, use quotes:

donrockwell "iron gate inn"

even better is to google site:donrockwell.com then your search term. no space between the colon and the website. this works for any site, and restricts responses to the site you input.

So googling

site:donrockwell.com ps7's

brings up every instance of the term ps7's on this forum, rather than any internet site that has the terms donrockwell and ps7's as Don's example does.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adonrockwell.com+ps7%27s&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=

Andrew will also recreating his bone marrow menu for a special dinner to be held at PS7's on Saturday, January 29th. Contact the restaurant for more details.

Also, I don't know if Peter Smith's cooking has ever been more on-target (and a strong value at Restaurant Week prices). His technique is complete - each plate appealing and colorful, each bite offering an interesting combination of flavors and textures. The "yellow turnip brulée" (mushroom, black garlic, cognac vanilla foam) was almost as much dessert as it was appetizer. And the seafood! My arctic char (baby bok choy, Asian pear "compression", cashew "butter", ginger) had an impossibly crispy skin, yet the fillet remained attached, tender, and flaky. Gubeen opted for the trout (Madeira ravioli, turnips top to bottom, mussels, sauce homard), presented vertically with the ravioli acting as a sauce pouch; a completely different preparation, but exactingly executed.

Gina told me that I had to have the "Dirt cake 2011", and she was right. It's arrived as a sort of miniature desert scene: a loose disk of brown salted chocolate "dirt" over a core of pudding, garnished with a chocolate stick figure of a barren tree, leaning like a weary sentry over a boulder of rather unconventional caramel. If that doesn't tickle your inner kid, it probably means your inner kid is dead.

Apologies as usual for the crappy cellphone pic.

post-710-0-85573500-1295420602_thumb.jpg

yellow turnip brulée

(On an unrelated note, big props to whoever wrote Google Chrome's crash recovery feature. I had almost finished this post when iPhoto or maybe iTunes crashed my Finder for the first time in months. $#@$*! But the text box came back up on reboot, right where I'd left it.)

Gina told me that I had to have the "Dirt cake 2011", and she was right. It's arrived as a sort of miniature desert scene: a loose disk of brown salted chocolate "dirt" over a core of pudding, garnished with a chocolate stick figure of a barren tree, leaning like a weary sentry over a boulder of rather unconventional caramel. If that doesn't tickle your inner kid, it probably means your inner kid is dead.

Apologies as usual for the crappy cellphone pic.

post-710-0-85573500-1295420602_thumb.jpg

yellow turnip brulée

The dessert sounds great and very visually appealing - I was hoping the picture you posted would be of that. I still haven't been to PS7, but it is high on my list.