Birch & Barley, 14th Street at Logan Circle - Chef Kyle Bailey and Beer Sommelier Greg Engert Downstairs from ChurchKey in 14UP

Birch & Barley was the first restaurant in a LONG time to exercise both the credit card AND the incomplete party seating policies, so they got under my skin - perhaps unfairly.

It might be colored by your later experience. That said, it seems to me as though one of those policies would be enough -- either use the on-file credit card if half the party fails to show up, perhaps, or don't seat until the party is complete. Enacting both policies in tandem seems like overkill.

I should note I've never managed a restaurant before. I've worked as a hostess, and our policy was flexible -- for example, while we usually asked parties to be complete before seating, when it wasn't too busy, and we didn't have a lot of reservations, we'd seat an incomplete party regardless of size (not that that was the situation Betty encountered at B&B; I'm just giving an example). Also, we only took a credit card as insurance policy for special-event meals. Different places, different rules, of course ... but it still seems like one of the above is enough.

(Some other discussion of this topic.)

I would never just not show up for a reservation or lie about my party size, but I suppose the bad apples ruin things for the rest of us.

So very, very true.

And as I sit here thinking about it in retrospect, taking a credit card for a party of 8 or so when it's not a special event that requires extra attention does seem like overkill.

I agree with you on the failure to seat you. It seems to me that you reserved the table, you showed up and they stood to make more money by letting you sit and get down to drinking/eating. Though if only 4 ultimately showed up and they gave up an 8 top then they would have been screwed regardless of having your CC.

How many different checks did your group require?

I agree with you on the failure to seat you. It seems to me that you reserved the table, you showed up and they stood to make more money by letting you sit and get down to drinking/eating. Though if only 4 ultimately showed up and they gave up an 8 top then they would have been screwed regardless of having your CC.

How many different checks did your group require?

[The conversation continues here since it shifts toward a more general topic.]

Fabulous meal last night. We went for the tasting menu (ahi tuna tartare, ricotta cavatelli, halibut, lamb tenderloin, spiced carrot cake). Out of four, we had two "wine" drinkers who didn't add the beer pairings. After hearing Greg's description and historical background of the first pairing and picking up on his enthusiasm for the craft, they immediately ordered the pairing to share. Every dish was a success and the pairings were all excellent matches. Tuna and cavatelli were stellar. Our only slight adjustment would be on the halibut dish, which could have used a tad more salt. When we thought about the impending arrival of the carrot cake dessert, we joked about having no room left for the classic Cheesecake Factory-sized piece, but were greeted with a perfect portion of cake served with a flavor explosion of pineapple sorbet and coconut flan. The server was excellent and the staff very attentive. It was fun to sit near the open garage door on a Summer evening. We plan a return visit to try the Brunch soon.

Brunch here was very good this morning, and very, very filling. We had the chicken and waffles, that holy (or unholy, I suppose) power trio of salt, sweet, and fat, and the corned (or roast?) beef hash. Everything washed down with a few Duvel Greens. The donuts came at the end of the meal--the maple bacon (underwhelming, bacon flavors too mild, if that's possible), the lemon-poppy seed (very nice), and the chocolate-topped. Portions were huge, service was fine, and the place was packed by the time that we left (about 12:30).

Sean

Just got back from an interesting meal and birch and barley.

I decided to surprise the lady with a midweek nice meal and both of us were eager to get try birch and barley before we leave D.C. I say this meal was interesting because it was very much hit or miss. We opted to go with the tasting menu, but without the beer pairings since we drank a few beers at Churchkey beforehand.

Our meal started with complimentary arancini, served over a puree of peas with mint. These arancini were delicious; stuffed with cheese and I what I assume was pancetta. The pea puree cooled them nicely.

Next came an ahi tuna poke served with a sesame crisp. This was very good as well and perfect for a hot dc summer. The dish contained celery leaf, which I thought was a great and interesting contribution to the dish.

At this point, the waitstaff finally remembered to bring out our bread board. The breads were delicious. However, i really didn't want to be eating the bread right before the pasta course, which we both knew was waiting on-deck.

The pasta, was really good. It was corn tortellini with dungeness crab and broccoli rabe. This dish, despite being the best savory course of the evening was incredibly salty. I thought it was the perfect serving of pasta to go with a big meal, but i think my girlfriend would have been much happier getting a plate of this pasta and skipping the rest of the meal (having asked her now, I know she would have preferred to eat multiple portions of the pasta and forgo the next two courses).

Next out was the halibut, which was perfectly cooked. It was served over a bed of rice with peas. This course was easily the most boring course of the night, and was something that one might cook at home for a what-do-i-have-in-my-fridge, oh shit there is fish-type meal. I was starting to get annoyed that nearly every dish had a starch (not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I thought it was bad for a tasting menu): arancini to bread to pasta to rice to:

Spring lamb with bulgur wheat and some sort of curry sauce. The lamb was, like the halibut expertly cooked. Also like the halibut, my girlfriend and I ate the protein and left the starch pretty much untouched on the plate. The wheat was, like the rice, boring. Starch mixed with a vegetable. These previous two plates in the tasting menu were simply one-plate meals, shrunk down into tasting-menu size. We were not pleased.

But then, a revelation, the dessert. I am not dessert lover, but I ate this course, in fact I loved this course. It was probably one of the best desserts I have had in a long time. Complex, not too sweet and nuanced. I wish I remembered every component, but i think it involved: strawberries and a strawberry sorbet of sorts, tapioca, passion fruit creme brulee with what appeared to be a homemade marshmallow crust, and what might have been a basil, or some other herb, pureed-type sauce. Everything went very well together and despite the shortcoming of the meal, this dessert left me smiling.

For 55 dollars a person, this meal might be considered a good deal for a tasting menu, but I probably will not be ordering it again.

Brunch here was very good this morning, and very, very filling. We had the chicken and waffles, that holy (or unholy, I suppose) power trio of salt, sweet, and fat, and the corned (or roast?) beef hash. Everything washed down with a few Duvel Greens. The donuts came at the end of the meal--the maple bacon (underwhelming, bacon flavors too mild, if that's possible), the lemon-poppy seed (very nice), and the chocolate-topped. Portions were huge, service was fine, and the place was packed by the time that we left (about 12:30).

Portions were definitely huge. The food sure looked impressive...if only it tasted the same way. I think my general criticism is that the dishes were bland, possibly under-seasoned.

The donuts definitely lacked flavor and felt much denser than the Colorado Kitchen or 2 Amy's versions. We all liked the dutch babies though. As for entrees, my brat burger was definitely way too mild. Fries were decently prepared...not sure if the third sauce that came with the ketchup and mustard was supposed to be mayo or something else, but it was way too thin. Almost watery. Best part was probably the sauerkraut. I also tried the croque madame. Everything tasted really dry, from the bread to the meat. Egg was good. Drinks (I got two versions of the bloody mary) seemed on the weakish side, and my tolerance is fairly low.

I don't think the brunch was a bad deal, but it definitely underwhelmed somewhat. Maybe the dinner menu is better, or we ordered badly.

Lovely meal at Birch and Barley on Saturday night. I don't have time to go into too many of the meals particulars, but I wanted to single out a certan person at the restaurant.

Being a sommelier is difficult business. Not only does it require immense knowledge, but also unbelievable patience. Greg Enbert works his ass off. Just like other sommeliers, he patiently explains the differences between the 500+ selections on his list with confidence, enthusiasm, and aplomb. But unlike most sommeliers, each individual at the table is selecting a different item from said list, often times changing three or four times a night. A deuce may require 8-10 different, individual recommendations.

On Saturday night, Mr. Engbert talked to my table at least 4-5 times, and was seemingly at every other table within sight for an equal amount of time. He is extraordinary, and Birch & Barley is lucky to have him, as are we all.

I finally made it to B&B for brunch yesterday. Service was great. Our waiter was friendly and helpful and just the right level of attentiveness, waiting for lulls in conversation to drop in with questions. Water was refilled frequently and everything was very smooth. It's not the cheapest brunch in town with entrees hovering between $12-15 or so, but it is certainly tasty.

I ended up getting talked into the "Boozy Brunch," for $28 which includes a trio of mini-versions of the normal donuts (bacon and toffee, lemon poppyseed and chocolate glazed), 2 brunch cocktails (choice of brunch punch, mimosas and bloody marys), a brunch entree and unlimited coffee or iced tea. With bloodies at $8 and entrees around $15, it's a pretty good deal.

My House-Brined Corned Beef Hash Fried Duck Eggs, Potato, Parsley was a rather large serving, so I ended up taking half home for today's breakfast. The eggs were perfectly done sunny-side up and runny and the hash was rich and stewey. The donut holes were delicious if a little greasy. The chocolate wasn't too different from normal, so I liked the other two better just for their uniqueness. Salty and sweet is one of my favorite things, so I loved the bacon donut. The bloody mary menu isn't online but there were about 5-6 different choices. Mine included some beef broth, Frank's Red Hot, a blue cheese olive and a small slice of salami (Bloody Bull) and was definitely a good version.

I finally made it to B&B for brunch yesterday. Service was great. Our waiter was friendly and helpful and just the right level of attentiveness, waiting for lulls in conversation to drop in with questions. Water was refilled frequently and everything was very smooth. It's not the cheapest brunch in town with entrees hovering between $12-15 or so, but it is certainly tasty.

I ended up getting talked into the "Boozy Brunch," for $28 which includes a trio of mini-versions of the normal donuts (bacon and toffee, lemon poppyseed and chocolate glazed), 2 brunch cocktails (choice of brunch punch, mimosas and bloody marys), a brunch entree and unlimited coffee or iced tea. With bloodies at $8 and entrees around $15, it's a pretty good deal.

My House-Brined Corned Beef Hash Fried Duck Eggs, Potato, Parsley was a rather large serving, so I ended up taking half home for today's breakfast. The eggs were perfectly done sunny-side up and runny and the hash was rich and stewey. The donut holes were delicious if a little greasy. The chocolate wasn't too different from normal, so I liked the other two better just for their uniqueness. Salty and sweet is one of my favorite things, so I loved the bacon donut. The bloody mary menu isn't online but there were about 5-6 different choices. Mine included some beef broth, Frank's Red Hot, a blue cheese olive and a small slice of salami (Bloody Bull) and was definitely a good version.

We have reservations for Sunday. Thanks for the review. We were interested in the Amish Egg Omelet, the Antipasto Flatbread, and the Soft Shell Crab. It's a very inventive brunch menu. Any recommendations?

We have reservations for Sunday. Thanks for the review. We were interested in the Amish Egg Omelet, the Antipasto Flatbread, and the Soft Shell Crab. It's a very inventive brunch menu. Any recommendations?

Oh, both my friends got the omelet. It's not a huge omelet, but the goat cheese adds a really good flavor along with the asparagus and there are 3 little hash brown potato cakes served alongside. Didn't try the flatbread or the crab, so can't comment on those, but the omelet, hash and donuts were good!

Oh, both my friends got the omelet. It's not a huge omelet, but the goat cheese adds a really good flavor along with the asparagus and there are 3 little hash brown potato cakes served alongside. Didn't try the flatbread or the crab, so can't comment on those, but the omelet, hash and donuts were good!

We had brunch there today. The service was impeccable. I had a very tasty though oversalted soft shell crab with seemingly several pounds of fries. After scraping the salt off, the fries were excellent. My SO had the omelet which she found delicious, but the potatoes were very dreary. We were ambivalent about the ambience. Pros: Very sleek dining area, cool restrooms. Cons: So noisy that we gave up trying to have a conversation. Just for fun, I spoke as loudly as I could--actually I shouted--but to no avail. I need to learn how to lip read. Parking was a real challenge.

But the renaissance of 14th Street is absolutely wonderful.

PTI but wouldn't you add the food as a somewhat 'con' considering the oversalting of the crab, and the dreary potatoes? Just wondering as i am heading down there later in the week for a bite and any info is greatly appreciated.

I think that it is over rated.

Took my parents to B&B last night for their all-day brunch. I enjoy breakfast for dinner, but for those who don't, there are a couple of flatbreads, sandwiches and salads on the brunch menu, and after 5pm on Sundays they offer a shortened dinner menu with 2 apps, 2 entrees and 2 desserts to supplement the brunch menu.

The menu we had last night was slightly tweaked from what's online, but we started off with an order of each of the "Sweets" for us all to share. The Freshly Fried Donuts (Toffee-Bacon, Lemon-Poppy Glazed, Bittersweet Chocolate - $6) were a bit greasy, but good. These are 3 good-sized donuts that can certainly be split between 4 people, but they were probably our least favorite of the three "sweets" we had. The Warm Brioche Sticky Bun (Brown Sugar Caramel, Pecans, Cream Cheese - $4) was really good, but not huge. Nice little sweet bite when divided up. The third, Cornbread with Bacon ($3.5) was probably our favorite and my +1 said it was his favorite cornbread he'd ever had. Warm and dense with some kernels of corn and a nice crunch of bacon on top.

My dad and my +1 got the Sausage, Egg & Cheese on a Warm Creme Fraiche Biscuit, Simple Salad ($14). You may be wondering why you would pay $14 for a breakfast sandwich you can get at McD's for $3, but this does not even compare. First, it's about the size of a normal hamburger (seriously, it is a huge sausage patty) and served on a flaky, soft, delicious biscuit. It comes with two hashbrowns that are far superior to anything fast food, and a little salad on the side to cut the grease. My mom had the Caprese Flatbread (fresh mozzarella, walnut pesto and heirloom tomatoes - $14) that came with a drizzle of balsamic on the top. I liked the crust of the bite I had, and my mom really liked the flatbread, but I thought it could've used a little more flavor. After seeing it being made in the open kitchen and seeing it served to tables nearby I really want to try the Buffalo Chicken flatbread. I opted for the Fried Chicken & Waffles (Belgian Waffle, Butter Pecans, Maple-Chicken Jus - $14). The waffles were nothing to write home about, but the chicken was excellent. There were 3 large pieces off the bone with a delicious, crispy, peppery coating on the outside. The pepper in the crust contrasted well with the maple jus and the butter pecans.

We were way too full for dessert, but the Spicy Peanut Butter Brownie S'mores on the menu was really tempting. Maybe it'll be on the menu when we return.

We don't get out much these days. A 4.5 year old and a sixteen-month old will do that. When we have gone out in recent months, we've been disappointed with higher end places, choosing increasingly to go to moderately priced old reliables for pizza or burgers. I'm happy to report that Birch and Barley on Saturday night erased all disappointment. Go. Just go.

When we made the reservation a month or so ago to go out with some friends, I didn't even realize it was restaurant week. I'll admit my immediate reaction when I made the connection was, "Uh-oh." But I couldn't have been more wrong. This is a restaurant that gets the opportunity it has in the form of restaurant week. The menu isn't a full menu, but it's an excellent representative sample. The portions are more than ample, and the service was simply outstanding with no sense of being rushed along in an effort to turn the table.

We started with a Butcher's Board for the table--five different types of charcuterie served with small toasts and a ramekin of tangy mustard. All were excellent. The cognac-laced (I think it was cognac) chicken liver mousse was superb as was the testa--pig's head sausage--which I am thrilled that my dining mates seemed a bit squeemish about trying. I happily devoured it myself. With the charcuterie, I had a glass of the Thornbridge Merrie cask ale. I could have drunk that all night long.

Following the charcuterie, out came the amazing, awesome, delicious bread board. Pretzel rolls, cornbread, and olive rolls on a big board with one of each for everybody at the table. Served with more mustard and excellent butter, the bread was as good as I can remember being served at any restaurant in DC in recent memory. Then, to our surprise, came a lovely amuse bouche--a perfectly fried arancini flavored with red beet, sitting atop a bed of whipped goat cheese. Delicious.

I started my meal with a white anchovy flatbread served with a glass of Goose Island Dominique. This was probably my least favorite course of the night. The flatbread was, well, not flat enough. The bread to topping ratio was off, and between the charcuterie toasts, the breadboard, and the flatbread, I was already starting to fill up. The Dominique, which is fermented in casks previously used for bourbon, was really unique and well-matched with the flatbread. No mistaking the bourbon flavor in this beer. Others around the table had the arctic char tartare and the chestnut agnolotti, which disappeared in remarkable time.

All three men at the table had the Bratburger served with crisp, salty french fries. Cooked to a perfect medium on a proper bun, I couldn't finish it at this point as much as I wanted to. The leftovers made for an excellent lunch on Sunday. Once again, the beer--Edmund Fitzgerald from the Great Lakes Brewing Company--was well-matched. Others had a trout special, which also got strong reviews.

Finally, even though all of us were too full for dessert by this point, we managed to stuff down top-notch desserts, including a chocolate panna cotta, an assortment of playful confections (a "hostess cupcake," for example), and a lemon meringue based dessert.

Really terrific food throughout, which was matched by terrific service. The waitstaff explained everything well and was attentive without being intrusive. The beer sommelier was superb at explaining to us why the beers they selected were the right match for the food we were having (and the pairings really were uncanny).

On a cold Saturday night, the lack of valet parking is about the only complaint that I can muster. We're lucky to have this place in DC. Go. Just go.

First visit to B&B this weekend before a show. We were four and hadn't been able to book a table despite trying a week prior. When we'd tried, we were told that usually one four top was kept available for walk-ins and they opened at 5:30pm. So, we got there at 5, got a buzzer, headed upstairs to Church Key to wait and got our table without any trouble at 5:30 when downstairs opened.

Very good experience.

Agree with others on the board about the arctic char tartare. I suppose a bit unusual a fish choice but it was light, very crisp and interesting integrated with celery root and apple and, most importantly, quite good. The parsnip chips served with it were a great accompaniment; especially given they were baked rather than fried.

Others at our table started with a beet salad that used stems, leaves, the main vegetable and creamy goat cheese and raved about it.

We all tried a fig and onion flatbread--excellent; crispy with distinct but nicely complementary flavors also including prosciutto and gorgonzola in generous portions atop the flatbread.

Three of us had the roasted lamb with beans and duck sausage (don't think they were fava but maybe I'm wrong) and this was great. Perfectly cooked to medium rare and very flavorful.

Had to also order a side of the mac & cheese since I do this anywhere and have a fairly high m&c bar (Bourbon Steak disappointed hugely on theirs recently). B&B gets a definite m&c thumbs up. I need to ask about this the next time since I'd like to know what the crispy topping was and what cheeses were used. Whatever they were, this worked. One of the better m&c dishes in the city imho.

Not as much a beer fanatic but hefeweizen, belgian whites and a local stout were all super.

My only pick at B&B is their policy, shared by other restaurants admittedly, that the tasting menu can only be ordered if the entire table gets it. Not sure I get this. 2 or 3 of us would have ordered it but not everyone wanted it so none of us did. There is no minimum table size so what difference does it make? Had we been a table of two, both could have ordered it. But, as a table of four with only three wanting in, no go. Can't be a process or efficiency thing. Maybe a revenue strategy but at $55/person it's far from certain a la carte ordering yields an average ticket at or greater than that level? Not sure.

But overall, really enjoyed B&B.

My only pick at B&B is their policy, shared by other restaurants admittedly, that the tasting menu can only be ordered if the entire table gets it. Not sure I get this. 2 or 3 of us would have ordered it but not everyone wanted it so none of us did. There is no minimum table size so what difference does it make? Had we been a table of two, both could have ordered it. But, as a table of four with only three wanting in, no go. Can't be a process or efficiency thing. Maybe a revenue strategy but at $55/person it's far from certain a la carte ordering yields an average ticket at or greater than that level? Not sure.

I think it's a timing issue - if I get a tasting menu with 5 courses, and you order 3 courses a la carte, that's not only more work for the servers, it's impossible to time to make sure everyone has food at the same time. I think that's making it more likely that the party doesn't enjoy the meal, which make it less likely they'll tip well and return.

I think it's a timing issue - if I get a tasting menu with 5 courses, and you order 3 courses a la carte, that's not only more work for the servers, it's impossible to time to make sure everyone has food at the same time. I think that's making it more likely that the party doesn't enjoy the meal, which make it less likely they'll tip well and return.

I guess that makes as much sense as anything but, given that restaurants have to deal with different numbers of courses in larger (more than 2) parties all the time irrespective of tasting menus--some get apps, some don't; some have big appetites (like me) and get four courses when the rest of the normal folks get 2--seems like the principle of doing what the people want (so long as it doesn't totally make life difficult for the kitchen) is the better and more revenue-maximizing policy. They could also just set expectations at the front end--'we'll try to time course but since the number varies by diner it won't be exactly coordinated'--something like that? Totally realize I may be missing the plot here, as I'm just an avid goer/eater and not an expert of the industry, and would love to hear from any actual restauranteurs on the board who have this policy.

Dining at Birch & Barley last night for the third time, I think it may be my favorite choice for a fine, yet casual dining experience in the district.

Fine service with a smile adds a lot to the overall experience, and the food that comes out of the kitchen is well prepared, seasoned properly and most of all,

just what I feel like eating most of the time. Not overwrought and not overthought, this may be DC's best food/value relationship, imo.

Dining at Birch & Barley last night for the third time, I think it may be my favorite choice for a fine, yet casual dining experience in the district.

Fine service with a smile adds a lot to the overall experience, and the food that comes out of the kitchen is well prepared, seasoned properly and most of all,

just what I feel like eating most of the time. Not overwrought and not overthought, this may be DC's best food/value relationship, imo.

We went there for brunch recently, and it was incredibly noisy. After attempting to have a conversation--including cupping my mouth with my hands to shout across the small table--I gave up. The food was good, but the ambience was not. It was definitely not a relaxing experience. Perhaps it is different for dinner.

We went there for brunch recently, and it was incredibly noisy. After attempting to have a conversation--including cupping my mouth with my hands to shout across the small table--I gave up. The food was good, but the ambience was not. It was definitely not a relaxing experience. Perhaps it is different for dinner.

We were sitting up in the dining area next to the kitchen; maybe that makes a difference.

I guess also that dining for so long in NYC, we're kind of immune to the noise factor.

I love breakfast food. I could honestly live the rest of my life never eating lunch, but I adore breakfast/brunch, and could eat it for every meal -- so B&B's all-day Sunday brunch is my ideal situation: I don't have to drag my sorry self out of the house at brunch hours in order to get brunch food. In geek-world, where I live, this is best encapsulated by the comment, "WIN!"

I took a good friend to late brunch/early dinner at Birch & Barley today. He's something of a beer afficionado, but he rarely comes into the city and so hadn't been to explore the list. He's also a total breakfast-food fan with a sweet tooth, so there was pretty much no doubt that this was the right choice.

At 5:15, the place still had a good crowd, but was quiet (I didn't notice any noise issues, other than that the music actually got a bit loud at one point). We were seated up toward the kitchen, which meant I could spend my time trying in vain to wave hello to GennaroE (I must not have totally failed, because he sent us the last plates of donuts they had ... again, "WIN!"). I am not that much of a sweets person, but I ate the lemon-poppy donut like my life depended on it: hot, yeasty, fried sweet/tart goodness all in a little ball of dough. Thanks, G (and for those who don't know, Gennaro is a pretty close personal friend, thanks to this website, so I appreciate the special treatment and tried to acknowledge it to the staff accordingly).

My dining companion and I both got the Huevos Rancheros Pepper Jack-Avocado Omelet, Pupusa, Poblano Sausage ($14), he with a side of hash browns and I with a side of bacon (I saved the sausage for tomorrow morning, because I really wanted bacon). I had figured out in advance that this came as an omelette, with the beans traditionally associated with huevos rancheros incorporated into the pupusa; my friend was a bit surprised, but after a bite, went, "Whoa, ok, yeah." As I've said before, the omelette line here is turning out wonderful French-style rolled omelettes; the only slightly off-note was that the avocado in mine was a bit underripe, but at this time of year and with the volume they must do, that didn't bother me too much. There's a great spicy-tomato-y sauce and some sour cream and a lime wedge on the plate, and the pupusa, a perfect little dumpling of corn and bean, was an outstanding accompaniment to the pepper jack-avocado egginess. Plus the bacon. Let us never forget the bacon.

We were far too stuffed (despite saving much of our meal for leftovers) for dessert, but our waitress had to delay bringing our check back just so GennaroE could send us a the spicy peanut butter brownie s'more. This is a great, dense brownie with just enough chile (cayenne? chipotle?) to build a bit of heat that offsets the sweetness of charred marshmallow and peanut butter, with a scattering of roasted peanuts for some crunch. Even between the two of us we couldn't finish, thanks to being so full, but I have to give it props for being a fun and innovative spin on two childhood favorites (chocolate and peanut butter, and s'mores). If you like chocolate desserts, you'll like this.

I have to admit, much as I love brunch, I was torn, as several dinner-menu items are on the brunch menu, and after 5 on Sundays they serve a limited dinner service as well. I think I may have to go back soon for the cavatelli, currently being served with braised short rib; I saw an order or two of it go by and it looked incredible.

Honestly, the only sour note of the whole evening was the hostess upon entry. First, she was on the phone, and while I realize one can't slam down an in-progress call to accommodate those standing in front of the desk in person, hers went on a really long time (easily two-three minutes) more than seemed necessary, with no even tacit acknowledgement of our presence. No one else was standing there, so I'm pretty sure we weren't invisible. Then, they seemed to be confused about where to seat us, despite many two-tops being available. I realize there may have just been a communication lag, but it was an odd vibe to deal with at the start.

I only wish this place were closer to my house, as it's just on the edge of that no-public-transit-land that I tend to avoid. But I consistently recommend it as one of my favorites in town, and I'm not even a beer person -- the food has yet to fall short of expectations, and usually vastly exceeds them, and tonight was no exception.

I only wish this place were closer to my house, as it's just on the edge of that no-public-transit-land that I tend to avoid.

I have seen people say similar things before, and I have to ask - there are at least 3 bus routes that go right there. Is it just a no-train thing, are they not convenient bus routes, or are people just not thinking of buses?

I have seen people say similar things before, and I have to ask - there are at least 3 bus routes that go right there. Is it just a no-train thing, are they not convenient bus routes, or are people just not thinking of buses?

I admit I'm really bad at interpreting the bus routes, but from what I've determined, the buses don't go where I need to (Capitol Hill). The one that does stop near McPherson Square metro is inconsistent, in my experience.

And I'm also a fickle (read: lazy) public transit rider in general. When it's 20 degrees out with biting wind, the thought of shlepping five-six blocks to Metro makes me cringe; in summer, I'll think nothing of ambling there at the end of the night. :)

I'm a self-confessed Churchkey addict (have eaten at B&B a few times too) and the location and available transit doesn't really stop me from going. Though if it was a little closer to the Red Line I'd probably go a bit more. I don't mind the walk from Dupont, McPherson or U St Metro stations at all - even in the cold. I'm a good shlepper :)

Also, I'd like to agree that the Lemon Poppy Seed Doughnuts are insanely delicious.

I admit I'm really bad at interpreting the bus routes, but from what I've determined, the buses don't go where I need to (Capitol Hill). The one that does stop near McPherson Square metro is inconsistent, in my experience.

Ah. Ok, to make things easier - from McPherson Square, exit on 14th St, cross both 14th and I. Walk to the corner of 14th and K. Get on a 52,53,54, or circulator. Circulator is the most consistent of those, coming about every 10 minutes.

A fellow dr.commer recently asked me, "Hey, where's GennaroE? He never posts anymore." Well, true, and when I saw him recently for drinks, I good-naturedly teased him about it. But he has a very good reason: he's moved up to working the line at Birch and Barley, and he is there pretty much every single day. Doesn't leave a lot of time for cooking at home, or dining out, I imagine!

I took two work colleagues there a couple of weeks ago (one of the rare occasions G wasn't working, in fact), and had a fantastic meal. And I'd already planned to return last night with a friend who used to live a block away before moving out of town -- and who was part of our foursome when Gennaro and I went to Vidalia 24 last year -- so we were both really looking forward to a great night out, with the remote hope we'd get to see our friend in action.

I'd actually texted Gennaro earlier in the day, and he told me they'd moved the skirt steak to the main menu (from the tasting menu, I think), and he recommended the pastas, as usual. Our server, Eli, remembered me from a few weeks ago, and confirmed that the steak was new to the menu but not much else had changed. My friend and I decided to go with the following courses:

Half Fig & Prosciutto Flatbread Gorgonzola Cremificato & Caramelized Onions: this has been on the menu since they opened, I think, and given that it's one of my favorite flatbread/pizza topping combos ever, I almost always order it. A great starter, creamy/salty/sweet/chewy all in one.

Panzanella Salad Heirloom Tomatoes, Grilled Baguette, Whipped Burrata, Groundcherries: the burrata here is almost like an airy cheese mousse, and there's a great interplay of textures here as well. This dish relies on the freshness of the ingredients, and last night's were excellent.

Melon & Cucumber Salad Almonds, Herbs: from the "Sides" portion of the menu, this is another dish that is all about showcasing freshness. The cantaloupe in particular was excellent, which made the salad come together. Really refreshing and light.

Then, a surprise: We were treated to tasting portions of both pastas currently on the menu (remember I said Gennaro recommended them...) Well, as I've said elsewhere on this board, I rarely order pasta out, but Kyle and his team are turning out pastas more than worth ordering. In fact, I'm not sure i have superlatives enough to describe them:

• Hand-Cut Tagliatelle Roasted Kabocha Squash, Okra, Fried Squash Blossom, Bottarga: one bite of this will remind you why fresh pasta is so outrageously good. Silky squash, tiny rounds of crisp-tender okra, and fried squash blossom on top for crunch and beauty.
  • Ricotta Cavatelli Roasted Chicken, Heirloom Tomato Puree, Housemade Mozzarella: I think this was slightly different than on the online menu (braised chicken, breadcrumbs, and crunchy chicken skin), but this may have been the dish of the night. Outrageously rich, these cavatelli are more like gnudi, the sauce deeply flavorful and comforting.

Not that we even needed main courses by this point, necessarily, but oh well!

Honey Glazed Duck Breast Leg Confit, Wild Rice, Brandied Cherries, Radishes: I've probably mentioned before that I'm a sucker for duck, and Eli recommended it. I concur -- this was some perfectly cooked medium-rare duck breast, but the star may be the confit, which is air-dried and then crisped up. I love wild rice as well; sauteed greens (radish greens?) along with the radishes gave this some nice bitterness to offset the richness of the duck.

Skirt Steak (description isn't online) with whipped potatoes, zucchini: arriving a perfect medium rare, this looked gorgeous and apparently tasted it, too. Yes, I could have snagged a bite, but I restrained myself and let my friend enjoy his steak without having to parry an incoming fork.

(Yes, my friend tried several beers over the course of the night, but I don't remember which, so I can't comment here.)

We were absolutely stuffed at this point, but we managed to share the Tasting of house-spun sorbets buttermilk, plum-yuzu, nectarine-ginger, apricot, exotic spice (you do what you have to!). I love yuzu and it pairs so nicely with plum that this was a stand-out to me, but I would also eat a giant dish of the buttermilk, which is tart and tangy and creamy and somehow both light and decadent at the end of a big meal. The ginger flavor is also one I love, as it's not supremely sweet but retains that great ginger spiciness and kick. This was a wonderful way to end the night.

As one would expect, the restaurant was hopping last night, and Eli apologized at one point for the lag between courses, which didn't bother us since we were having a good time regardless. The staff was so gracious and friendly and seemed to have things running smoothly; I think this is one area where B&B has gotten dinged occasionally, but perhaps they had the A team on last night, or perhaps they're just gelling more as a team. (Oh, and Greg had on a spankin' tie.)

I ran back to the kitchen before leaving just to see if I could catch Gennaro and wave, although I expected he'd be busy. Chef pulled him off the line for a minute which was really nice, just so that I could tell him how awesome it was, and to make sure he shared that with Kyle and the rest of the kitchen. It was truly a wonderful meal and a wonderful experience, and again to repeat myself, if I lived closer, I'd be here even more.

And it looks like the Eater crew agreed...2011 Best DC Restaurant

Dinner here Friday night (without reservations). Got seated at the bar after about a 30 minute wait, which was 1/2 the quoted wait. Had fun with the bartender when she asked what I'd like and I asked for a martini, 2:1 with orange bitters and a twist. Delish.

This kitchen is still putting out some excellent food, imo. One of our starters was the shad roe, cooked with a bit of bacon, and plated with barely cooked escarole and sherry vinaigrette. Really great dish...

post-6410-0-63050600-1332084207_thumb.jp

An artichoke salad my wife ordered (it looks like there might be some bacon in there as well) was hard to pry out of her warm, alive hands for a taste...

post-6410-0-86727700-1332084770_thumb.jp

For a main, we shared the pork loin roulade, perfectly cooked, and served with sunchokes (our new fave veg), hedgehog 'shrooms, braised collards and more...

post-6410-0-45299100-1332085114_thumb.jp

A good time, nice service and tasty food. Can you ask for more? (Yes, I wanted the ribeye cap that is served upstairs but they "couldn't" do that!)

A friend and I had a great brunch at B & B a week ago. We couldn't pass up the fried doughnuts to get things started, though we munched on them throughout the meal. While the toffee-bacon version was pretty darn good, I especially enjoyed the glazed lemon poppy doughnut. The citrus was bright, the glaze wasn't overly sweet.

Both of us had our eye on the same two dishes, so we wound up sharing:

House-Brined Corned Beef Hash Fried Duck Eggs, Potato, Parsley - really good corned beef in generous (not too salty) chunks, topped with two eggs, so just right for sharing.

and

Wild Mushroom Omelette Sottocenere, Veal Neck Sausage, Polenta Hash - a straightforward, well-prepared omelet. I would have liked a few more mushrooms, but they were plenty to enjoy. The small squares of crispy polenta hash were a nice addition to the plate, and the sausage was very good (may have been slightly different than written here, as we were told it was a new menu item that day).

Service was great, coffee flowed, and they were very understanding of our slight delay in arrival due to St. Patrick's Day parade traffic. (I did call to let them know I was on the way, but might not make the exact reservation time).

The only (very minor) downside was the proximity of neighboring tables. This wouldn't have been an issue if our neighbor had the decency to go to the restroom and blow her nose... obviously not the fault of the restaurant!

Took my husband last night for his birthday. They tried to sit us cramed down on a tiny two top on the main floor, but I kindly asked the host if there was another table and he walked us up to the kitchen area, which is just beautiful- and definitely where all the action is at. Next time I would like to try the bar seats there, so we can see all the action!

The service and staff were amazing from start to finish! I like how the tap beer list is broken up by Hoppy/Malty...etc.

I like hoppy, so I stuck with my favorite Stone IPA.

We started with the Fois Gras - oh god yes!

Than I had the Duck, which was moist & delightful, setting on a bed of pulled leg! David had the pork loin which was a tad dry.

We shared the truffle mac and cheese, which needed some salt.

Finished with the peanut butter chocolate pie and the boozy jack daniels miny milkshake.

Also had the Passion Fruit Cheesecake, which won the dessert round.

Many miles will be run over the next few days to counteract the calories earned from this wonderful meal. :blink:

Sorry to resurrect an olllllld thread, but I recently attended one of the new Beast Feast dinners at Birch and Barley.

Pretty cool concept, really - you make a reservation for any number of people (two is definitely too few...six to eight would be perfect), and Chef Bailey and his crew take a few whole animals from the best of whatever came in that week and design a custom menu for you. Greg Engert pairs beers with each course, and the kitchen sends out a nice surprise or two along the way... $95 per person, regardless of party size (which sounds like a lot, but really is quite reasonable when considering the quality and amount of food and limited-edition beers we got).

Full disclosure: I was there on behalf of BYT, so didn't pay; that said, this will absolutely be one of my first choices for a group dinner celebrating something cool.

Write-up here, if you're interested.

Cheers!

B&B/CK have had quite a merry-go-round of executive chefs this year -- Kyle Bailey left in April, Nick Sharpe has just left. Bill Williamson (The Riggsby, Osteria Morini) has started. ChurchKey has four or so pasta courses now on the menu that are very new.

I really hope he spends a little more time on the food options at ChurchKey. I know they have limited options since it's a shared kitchen, but in my experience over the years, the food at ChurchKey has always been overpriced and underwhelming, and just not a good complement to the best beer program in the city. I used to get the grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup, which I believe they no longer offer; nowadays I typically don't order food.