Help! Urgently In Need of Powdered Flavorings!

Nichole

I really hope someone out there can help me with this. I'm conducting what I'm calling the Great French Macaron Experiment of Aught Nine, in the hopes that in the next couple of weeks I can perfect the art of making beautiful macarons in time for Christmas. (perhaps "perfect" is a strong word) I'm looking for powdered flavorings in DC. I've found some places online that sell them, but their delivery times are not compatible with my practice schedule. I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere in MD, VA, DC. I know that I can use liquid extracts by incorporating them into the meringue before I fold it into the almond powder, but my understanding is that the powders are a more subtle way of adding flavor to the cake part of the macarons.

Thanks so much for any help!

I really hope someone out there can help me with this. I'm conducting what I'm calling the Great French Macaron Experiment of Aught Nine, in the hopes that in the next couple of weeks I can perfect the art of making beautiful macarons in time for Christmas. (perhaps "perfect" is a strong word) I'm looking for powdered flavorings in DC.

I'm not sure what flavors you're trying to get but is it possible you could make your own?

I could make my own, I suppose, but that would take a long time! (From that thread, I'd need to use the technique described in the French Laundry cookbook, rather than using the malodextrin thing. I'm looking for finely ground flavoring powders rather than crumbles. Unfortunately I don't have a dehydrator, so that rules out the "French Laundry technique.")

I just called La Cuisine and they have essences, which are liquids (which if I can't find powders, I'll have to use; they just get incorporated into the meringues and produce a much less subtle flavor), but the only powder flavoring they have is vanilla.

For an example of what I'm looking for, you can check out the Barry Farm website: http://www.barryfarm.com/flavorings.htm If you scroll down past the liquids, they have a wide variety of powdered flavorings. I was just hoping to get started on my macaron-making asap, and didn't realize that I'd have a hard time finding the powders. I went ahead and ordered a few, but am still hoping to get out today and tomorrow and find some in the DC area, so keep the suggestions coming! Thank you!

Not specifically what you are seeking, but, especially if you are in walking distance to one, it might be worth a whirl to visit an Asian bubble tea vendor. Many of them use powdered flavorings with which you could experiment just for bubbles, er, giggles.

While I'm asking, has anyone tried to make macarons at home? Any tips? Thoughts on buying premade almond flour as opposed to making one's own? Any flavor combinations I should try? Is there anywhere in the DC area that sells macarons in case I completely fumble?

(I've lived in the DC area for 17 years and am an excellent cook, but baking has always eluded me, so that's the source of my ignorance on baking supply stores. As far as pastry shops, I'm wondering if I'm just spacing on having ever seen macarons here. Hmmm... maybe if I get good enough I can start the French macaron trend to supplant the cupcake trend...)

Is there anywhere in the DC area that sells macarons in case I completely fumble?

Praline Bakery in the Sangamore shopping center, off of MacArthur Blvd., just over the MD line in Montgomery County. They always have about a dozen different flavors of macarons, and they are delicious.

I just want to add what a great damned group of members I think we have in this community. I told Nichole I couldn't help her, but that I was sure other people would because I had confidence in both the knowledge and friendliness of everyone here.

God, what a great group of people. So many different strengths and interests. And always ready to help someone else out on a moment's notice.

You can dehydrate in a convection oven, if you have a sheet tray and a silpat. Set it to low temp, fan on high, door slightly open. You could also think about getting freeze-dried fruits and flavorings and then buzzing them in a blender or food processor, then running the powder through a sieve.