Romantic Dinner & Accomodations in DC

My wife surprised me this year with a wonderful birthday dinner at J&G Steakhouse and an overnight stay at the new W Hotel.

Now is my turn to return the favor. I would like some suggestions for a elegant/romantic dinner for her birthday. Should be somewhere downtown WDC if possible.

Open to try somewhere new as well, not just the usual suspects.

My wife surprised me this year with a wonderful birthday dinner at J&G Steakhouse and an overnight stay at the new W Hotel.

Now is my turn to return the favor. I would like some suggestions for a elegant/romantic dinner for her birthday. Should be somewhere downtown WDC if possible.

Open to try somewhere new as well, not just the usual suspects.

Does CityZen/Mandarin Oriental count as "usual suspects"?

Does CityZen/Mandarin Oriental count as "usual suspects"?

I second Pat's suggestion. CityZen is one of the 2 or 3 best restaurants in the city and the Mandarin is a great hotel, especially if you get a water-view room. My husband and I have done this combo and it was a very special night.

I would love to stay at one of the rooms at the Mansion on O Street. They are a little eclectic though. I remember going through some of the place during my ex-step-sisters wedding and it was really neat. It's in Dupont. I got a kick out of the log cabin room.

I have only seen one room at the Latham and wasn't crazy about it. You could do the Four Seasons and eat at Bourbon Steak? Fahrenheit at the Georgetown Ritz is pretty tasty.

Or the Park Hyatt and Blue Duck Tavern- they are kind of minimalist, but in a way I think is pretty.