Wine to Serve with Lasagna

The Hersch

Can any of the wine mavens here tell me the perfect wine to pair with a traditional lasagne alla bolognese? That is, a dish of lasagne made with fresh, home-made pasta, ragu alla bolognese, besciamella, and parmigianno reggiano? Chianti seems to be indicated, but what's a good choice under $30 or so? The dish is native to Emilia Romagna, but that region doesn't seem to be very strong in the wine department--are there wines from there that I should consider? I'm planning to serve the lasagne for Christmas lunch, and want the meal to be perfect.

I would go with a nice Sangiovese di Romagna or a Lambrusco. Donati Camillo is superb from Louis Dressner. Tre Monti makes really nice Sangiovese di Romagna. I would also think about a fuller bodied dolcetto. Einaudi, Pecchinino and La Slina {this last is di Ovada and the Einaudi is Dogliani, don't recall about the Pecchinino}.

For a Chianti, I would recommend a rosso di Montalcino or Montepulciano. Pieri, Sassetti Pertimali, Ciacci are all nice and fat in mouth for Montalcinos. Although the Montalcinese at 603 meters look down upon the Montepulcinese at 600 mts, Valdipiatta has a nice modern styled rosso that is at a good price.

Last, if you want a touch of cab in your red without the over extraction and over ripeness common to so much Chianti these days, try Carmignano. My favorites is Ambra. There is also Barco Reale which is a second doc in the area and makes for a good bargain.