Mexican Menudo

Spent the weekend shopping at Williamsburg. Was gonna do some more shopping yesterday but it was pouring so we decided to head home. Stopped at the Pancho Villa in Fredericksburg for lunch. To my surprise, their menu includes menudo as a house special so I ordered it. I haven't had menudo since I was in Cancun in 2005(?) and I don't recall ever seeing it in a local restaurant. Pancho Villa's menudo was served with a side of corn tortillas, lime, chopped onions, chopped cilantro, oregano and red pepper flakes. The soup had plenty of tripe and a hunk of cow foot - all cooked nice and tender with great flavor, especially after spicing it up with the red pepper flakes. I'll try to remember to eat there on future roadtrips, but I was wondering if there's a place with good menudo closer to home?

I had a bowl yesterday at Taqueria Distrito Federal in Columbia Heights. It's on the regular menu there, along with pozole. I'm not a menudo expert but it was good and certainly hit the spot on a miserable winter day. It was accompanied by corn tortillas, and a plate of chopped cilantro onion, and jalepeno.