Chocolate Chipping

DanCole42

So I wanted to get a really nice chocolate for some chocolate chip cookies, but "really nice chocolate" only ever comes in massive block form.

What's the best way to break a block into "chips"?

1) A mallet is fast, but you end up with a combination of powder and giant chunks.

2) A knife leaves you with shavings and giant chunks.

3) Chocogirl, the superhero with the ability to manipulate chocolate and chocolate-based products with her mind, refuses to return my calls after the... umm... "unpleasantness."

So I wanted to get a really nice chocolate for some chocolate chip cookies, but "really nice chocolate" only ever comes in massive block form.

1) A mallet is fast, but you end up with a combination of powder and giant chunks.

3) Chocogirl, the superhero with the ability to manipulate chocolate and chocolate-based products with her mind, refuses to return my calls after the... umm... "unpleasantness."

There is a specific tool for this called a "chocolate chipper", but I don't know if it's really much better than a knife.

A knife is the best tool, but chipping a block is a PITA. In the future think about buying good quality chocolate discs as those are much easier to cut or just break by hand. Jason sells very good ones from his shop.

Anyone ever experimented with a food processor to achieve chippy perfection?

Or is the heat too much?

I bounced around the web a bit and saw a number of websites talk about it, but they could be lies.

Wrongful, chocolate-covered lies.

Having just finished making chocolate-peppermint bark, it occurred to me that, depending on how ambitious you feel, you could always melt it, spread it thin, and break up the hardened sheet, or get all fancy and pipe your own little chips.

:angry: But then I think the forthcoming snow tsunami may be making me think of time-consumers.