Great Sushi Meal on Sunday - NoVA and DC

Kibbee Nayee

Significant Other is having a birthday next Sunday and has requested sushi. Price is no object, but it appears hours are an issue. Some of the choices would be PassionFish, Kaz Sushi Bistro and Sushi Taro, but none of them are open on Sunday. We prefer a northern Virginia or Downtown venue, and so far, Tachibana is in the mix. Any good suggestions...?

Not the locale you are targeting, but omakase with Koji at Sushi-Ko Glover Park on Sunday offers epic ocean-ocity.

Whenever I go to Tachibana, it usually winds up being on a Sunday. Their selections can be really "on" that day of the week, always good, but sometimes stellar. Make sure you sit at the bar closest to the entrance for the best service and selection. The back bar is OK, too, but not nearly as interesting in space or variety. Mention the front bar when you book the reservation, and do book a reservation, it's a zoo anytime past 6 on a Sunday.

And if you are anything like me, geek out a little bit when you first walk in. Take a picture of the white board (posted next to the host stand) with your iPhone so you can remember all the little gems that may be out of sight, but are worth asking about.

I'm bumping this because Sunday approaches....for some reason I'm leaning towards Blue Ocean in Fairfax. Don't know why, but wanted to try someplace I hadn't frequented before, but the last review in the restaurant guide is about 9 months old. Any advice...?

My advice is, if you want to make her birthday memorable in a good way, don't make it a surprise place or somewhere you haven't really tested. That way, neither of you will be disappointed. I recommend checking Blue Ocean out yourself within the next few days for a lunch or something and then you get an idea. Plus, this way, you can make the reservation in person and let them know it's her birthday or something like that. I'm sure you know that already, and this is in no way to be taken negatively.