Elevation Burger, A Virginia-Based, Quick-Serve Hamburger Franchise Expanded To Multiple States and Countries

I love love Elevation Burger. It's as close as the East Coast gets to In-N-Out! The meat is so good and the toppings are awesome so I don't mind waiting for it. It's also really kid friendly and a laid back place. Nothing beats In-N-Out, but this is as good as we'll probably get!!

I had lunch at EB in Falls Church yesterday, for the first time since they first opened. I went there because I wanted a burger and fries and there are only a few places where I can eat that safely, without gluten contamination. I ordered the "Elevation Burger" with no bun and fries.

It wasn't worth the special trip from Burke. I spent almost as much as I would have on Lickety Split at Eve (I WAS a block and a half away from Eve a couple of hours earlier), and was very disappointed. The burger was two thin patties, cooked to a grey well-done. The cheddar cheese on top was good, but the burger itself was bland and much more greasy than I would have ever expected, considering the sign says they use grass-fed beef. There was no salt on the burger itself. The fries were match-stick size, with very little crunch and, again, no salt. I know some folks like skinny fries, but to me they lose a lot of the potato flavor. I don't drink soda or other sweetened beverages, and it pained me to have to pay $1.75 for a bottle of plain water to wash down my meal.

I definitely don't remember the fries being cut so small, and the burger yesterday didn't hold a candle to the "Phat Burger" I still remember from almost 5 years ago.

The place is clean, and the staff are polite and efficient. But I don't go to a restaurant for the staff.

:)

New location coming soon in Potomac next to the just-opened Harris Teeter in Parc Place (just NE of Montrose & Seven Locks).

Took the kids there for lunch today.

Burgers: Decent, reasonably beefy-tasting, but too thin and thus overcooked. And pressed into submission by the grill guy. Cheese and toppings were good, save the white-pink tomato slice.

Fries: Too thin, and I like thin fries. They were fresh, but soggy and greasy - not at all crisp. And the olive oil taste was so strong I didn't taste potato.

Shakes: Good, but way too thick. Even after sitting out for 10+ minutes while we ate the burgers and fries, you still had to eat with a spoon. Need to up the milk to ice cream ratio a little.

It's 2 miles from the house, so I'm sure we'll go once in a while. A little better than 5 Guys (3 miles away) in this class. But with Bobby's Crabcakes' amazing burger across from 5 Guys, and Urban Burger about 10 minutes further out, not a lot of reason to hit Elevation in central MoCo unless convenience is the ruling factor.

Today, I got to Germantown's new Elevation Burger. I was drawn-in by Paul Frumkin's NRN article and video describing their Krispy Kreme-esque grill.

Because it's been quite a while since I've eaten Elevation's regular griddle burgers, I have no honest comparision for their new griddle's output. The almost half-pound rare-ish burger is a new offering. The two veggie options are interesting, but the only place I've found to read the differing components of each patty is at the ordering counter. Is it on their website?

I'll be interested to see what happens to their table delivery system when the dining room is more crowded and the outdoor seating is full [customer names are yelled from the counter followed by runners repeating the name while searching out their targets] .

post-226-0-95544200-1307534405_thumb.jpg

Against our better judgement (we were tired and hungry) decided to order burgers and fries from Elevation Burger (Park Potomac location) last night. My on line pre-paid order included regular fries and cheese fries. When I showed up, receipt in hand, they insisted I had paid for only one order of fries, even though the receipt said otherwise. After much back and forth, finally got both fries. Our punishment ensued. The burger was tasteless and the fries were sopping wet with oil.

PS, lobster rolls are off the menu at BGR. The reason given is that the lobster rolls are "seasonal." As far as I know the fall is the peak of Maine's lobster season, so what gives?

We went to the new store at Tysons mall. The store was a bit hard to find and when we did we could not find a handicapped entrance. We manhandled the baby carriage up the steps. And mentioned this to cashier who had no idea if or where the handicapped entrance was and could not care less. Eventually the manager came over to see how every thing was and we mentioned the lack of accessibility. He did not know the answer but at least had the presence of mind to walk next store to Chipotle and ask their manager. They told him that you could get to the ramp by using the Chipotle patio. Not an obvious solution.

The food was OK. Not as good as I remember it in Falls Church a few years ago. We may go back when we are at the mall but would not make a special trip to go.

Have always liked Elevation for the 'clearly fast food inexpensive' burger segment. It's no Rays, Palena, Saint Ex, etc but they do use grass-fed beef which is a tad unusual for a burger joint in a good way. Good to hear they're opening some new spots in VA because they recently closed in Germantown.

I hadn't tried Elevation until very recently, but so far it has edged out BGR and Five Guys in the fast hamburger category. The meat tastes good, the toppings are relatively fresh, and the shoestring fries have been well executed. Cheddar, pepper relish, and their Elevation Sauce is my preferred combo. The milkshakes are forgettable; I prefer to get a Wild Bill's Sarsaparilla instead.

I hadn't tried Elevation until very recently, but so far it has edged out BGR and Five Guys in the fast hamburger category. The meat tastes good, the toppings are relatively fresh, and the shoestring fries have been well executed. Cheddar, pepper relish, and their Elevation Sauce is my preferred combo. The milkshakes are forgettable; I prefer to get a Wild Bill's Sarsaparilla instead.

Definitely ahead of Five Guys, but I still think their patties are too thin to beat out BGR, because they won't make a medium rare burger. And the fries are still soggy more often than not.

Definitely ahead of Five Guys, but I still think their patties are too thin to beat out BGR, because they won't make a medium rare burger. And the fries are still soggy more often than not.

I have to agree with Dan, although the girls agree with Heather and prefer the thin burgers.

I don't like medium rare burgers. I prefer to have more of the fat melted. BGR frequently tastes like old grill char. The last two times I've been to the Bethesda location I ended up with an upset stomach for the rest of the day. They get no more chances.

I haven't had soggy fries at Elevation, so I can't speak to that.

These last three posts prove, definitively, that there *is* no correct answer to who has the best hamburger. :)

Definitely.

BLKindergartner was STARVING after school on Wednesday so we stopped in for a mid-afternoon snack. We didn't get fries but his burger disappeared in about 90 seconds.

There wasn't any left for me to try...

These last three posts prove, definitively, that there *is* no correct answer to who has the best hamburger. :)
Definitely.

Or ... not. :)

After the closing of PS7's, I have to say that the burgers I saw coming out at the bar tonight at BourbonSteak (which are $19) may have to be considered. :lol:

I don't like medium rare burgers. I prefer to have more of the fat melted. BGR frequently tastes like old grill char. The last two times I've been to the Bethesda location I ended up with an upset stomach for the rest of the day. They get no more chances.

My only experience with BGR in the last year is the Cabin John plaza location, so I can't compare to Bethesda, but I haven't had that problem.

And, for the record, all my trips to Elevation are at the Parc Potomac location. Fries are soggy more often than not, and they not only cook burgers to well-done, but PRESS them during the cooking, even if you ask for them not to.

I have to agree with Dan, although the girls agree with Heather and prefer the thin burgers.

I'm not a girl but also prefer the Elevation version. Not so much due to thickness (though agree thicker better than thinner all else equal). Grass fed. In the fast burger category, they're the only ones that do that of which I'm aware. I think that's cool while still tasting good. Too many burger places aren't transparent about sourcing and, worse, some misrepresent what they're doing. No medium rare for me either--not from a fast burger spot.

All well and good but I'd have sworn (Don's reasonable declaration notwithstanding) that we'd absolutely and consensually resolved this in an at-least-fifty-post topic somewhere. But now I can't find it.

I'm not a girl but also prefer the Elevation version. Not so much due to thickness (though agree thicker better than thinner all else equal). Grass fed. In the fast burger category, they're the only ones that do that of which I'm aware. I think that's cool while still tasting good. Too many burger places aren't transparent about sourcing and, worse, some misrepresent what they're doing.

That's an issue for me, too. My cash is limited, so I've had to think about what's important and make choices in what I buy and what I'm willing to settle for when dining out. I came to the conclusion that animal welfare is more important to me than organic vegetables. Humanely raised, if possible. Fed a natural diet. No gestation crates. Elevation Burger makes better choices, for me, than Five Guys, BGR, or other fast casual burger places. It means eating less meat, and going out less, but I feel better knowing that I'm not supporting a terrible industry. (It's also meant giving up on Asian restaurants, but that's another topic)

No medium rare for me either--not from a fast burger spot.

Yeah, no. I have a weakened immune system.

A burger at Bourbon Steak is in a different category than Elevation. No comparison. Although, paying $19 for a damned cheeseburger is surely a sign that the end times for our civilization are near.

(It's also meant giving up on Asian restaurants, but that's another topic)

A burger at Bourbon Steak is in a different category than Elevation. No comparison. Although, paying $19 for a damned cheeseburger is surely a sign that the end times for our civilization are near.

Re: Asian restaurants. Off topic but, in my most humble of opinions, all Asian restaurants are not alike. But, yes, different topic.

Re: Bourbon Steak's $19 burger...or whatever it is. Totally agree but not sure it's a better harbinger that The End Is Near than what MiniBar reopened doing. Or places in whatever city charging more than $175 pp (pre tax, tip and drinks) for menus dominated by foams, squiggles, rocks and twigs ;)

Re: Asian restaurants. Off topic but, in my most humble of opinions, all Asian restaurants are not alike. But, yes, different topic.

I just meant that I can't determine the provenence of the meat used at my favorite Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc., places.

Had my first trip here on Saturday, and enjoyed the burger and fries. But enough about such trifle things as the food because this place has the MOST EPIC COKE MACHINE of all time. How has nobody mentioned this before?!?! There's coke, diet, zero, fanta, and a whole bunch of shit you aint never heard of. I'm considering going here just to drink my way though all the sodas... We need a new thread that charts the locations of these beautiful machines.

I finally tried an Elevation Burger at Fair Oaks Mall today. Overall, not bad, but not great. Nothing really to fuss about here. However, it's not fast food by any means. It took five minutes to get through the line and place the order, and then another 10 minutes for the order to arrive.

I love love Elevation Burger. It's as close as the East Coast gets to In-N-Out! The meat is so good and the toppings are awesome so I don't mind waiting for it. It's also really kid friendly and a laid back place. Nothing beats In-N-Out, but this is as good as we'll probably get!!

Elevation Burger is definitely better than In-N-Out. I just got back from the West Coast, and In-N-Out is about Five Guys' quality. I don't get the hype. Side by side with Habit Burger in L.A., Habit Burger wins in a landslide. Please keep In-N-Out away from the East Coast, but please bring Habit Burger east!

This is a pretty good assessment -- above Five Guys (and definitely above In-N-Out) and just a notch lower than BGR.

I was shopping at Tysons I yesterday, and decided I wanted a burger to bring home for lunch. It had been a long time since I tried Elevation Burger, and had never tried any but the original Falls Church location. I ordered a Half-The-Guilt (one regular beef patty, and one non-meat patty. You get a choice of Vegitarian or Vegan, so I got the Vegan version, and cheese. And an order of Fresh Fries.

It was so disappointing. The half and half burger was OK, although my body has been telling me I should not have eaten that all day today.

But the really sad part was the fries...I used to love their fries. I don't think they have changed the oil in the fryer at this location in ages. Any potato taste was overwhelmed by odd and "off" flavors. After a few test bites, the rest (it's a lot of fries) went in the garbage disposal.

I'm not quite sure what to think about locations of "known" restaurants that are in airports, food courts, etc. Are they representative of the "real" restaurant, or are they to be graded on a(n expensive) curve because they're really just Aramark? (Or are they?)

The truth is that I don't know, and if I don't know, then it's a reasonable bet that 99% of other people don't know, either. For that reason alone, they should be held to the same, rigid standards as their "regular" restaurants.

(If this isn't true, and in which case, if I just made the most ignorant statement you've ever heard, then I'd like to be enlightened as to why not.)

Take Elevation Burger as an example. Did you know there's a location in Georgetown? It's just behind Georgetown Hospital in the Hoya Court.

I'd finished a particularly long appointment, and wasn't going to make it until dinner - I thought about Stachowski Market and Deli, but then saw signs pointing me towards Elevation Burger. Quick, reasonably good, and I'd make it healthy, if I could.

It was something of an annoyingly long walk to the Hoya Court, but once I got there, Elevation Burger was one of three choices in this rather desolate food court. I ordered The Elevation Burger ($5.99), two patties, with no toppings except mustard and pickle, and a Small Diet Coke ($1.60). The gentleman who took my order was delightful (I went to a bit of trouble to give him a dollar tip, but that's *because* he was delightful.) No temperature requests were asked or given, but my sandwich was unquestionably cooked to order, as it took a good five minutes to prepare in an empty area.

Waiting until I was outside of the parking garage, the burger had about ten minutes to either decline in quality, or magically correct itself. When I got on the road, there was no chance of waiting until I was home, so I enjoyed it in the car. Well, "enjoyed" is a stretch - this reminded me of burgers my mom used to make (she thought well-done ground beef was something close to a biblical virtue). It was a double patty on a soft roll, with the right amount of mustard and pickle, and you know exactly how it tasted - decent-quality beef, cooked to oblivion, the only curiosity being that the pickles seemed slightly sweet.

This was survival food, and ably fulfilled its role. There's nothing to "hate" about a simple, well-done hamburger, but I realized just how rarely I order hamburgers at all, for something close to precisely this reason: It was filler. And it filled me. Contract: exchange money for product, completed. Performance: met by both ends, completed. I put the empty bag and cup in my recycling bin, and walked into my house.

• Like 3