Gratins

Anna Blume

You say potato and I say potato but what kind?

I usually go for waxy and am wondering why so many cookbooks call for Russets instead.

The former strike me as more intact after the whole sliver and layering process, no?

Heading out the store before all the decent dairy products are gone. Maybe I'll buy both kinds for the same dish and see what I see.

You say potato and I say potato but what kind?

I usually go for waxy and am wondering why so many cookbooks call for Russets instead.

The former strike me as more intact after the whole sliver and layering process, no?

Heading out the store before all the decent dairy products are gone. Maybe I'll buy both kinds for the same dish and see what I see.

I find that Russets break apart fairly easily in a gratin, but that may be because I don't slice thin enough and probably overcook. I usually go for waxy, unless all I have is Russets and I want to make a gratin :angry:.

I say split the difference and go with Yukon Golds.

I've always classified these as "waxy" and that's what I use* when Heinz is no longer selling my favorites.

I find that Russets break apart fairly easily in a gratin...

...which is why I posted. José Andres calls for Russets in his recipe for Patatas a la Riojana, too, while I prefer waxy for that dish, too. Nor do I care much for Russets in mashed potatoes, but that is another story and a different thread.

Ended up just using Yukons (on sale) in a pretty simple (kids), if very rich version, adding only minced shallots, clove of garlic, some grated cheese and a little turkey stock to cream, milk and creme fraiche, though I love adding braised fennel, or bacon, thyme...