Le Bar, Hotel Sofitel Downtown

...Le Bar, is a different story. I go fairly frequently (very close), but am frequently disappointed in the service (also slow, not great when you are thirsty) and the food is hit or miss. I believe that they finally allow you to order from the Cafe 15 menu, but I try to avoid eating there because it never works out right.

I really like Le Bar; I have found that it generally is one of the better hotel bars in the city. Yes, the service can be a bit slow, but certainly better many hotel bars. I love the decor, and they generally have a decent selection of wines by the glass.

I really like Le Bar; I have found that it generally is one of the better hotel bars in the city.  Yes, the service can be a bit slow, but certainly better many hotel bars.  I love the decor, and they generally have a decent selection of wines by the glass.

I was a little harsh. There are certainly upsides to it. The wines by the glass are great. The little cheese crackers are delicious (although I am sad that they discontinued their nuts). And, I really love the outside seating. I just wish that they had better service (inside, outside actually strangely is often better than inside). If the choice is between there and Bobby Van's, as it often is for me, I will always choose Le Bar.

In other Sofitel remarks, the breakfast pastries served there (or by them elsewhere) are extremely good, and I always know that I will have a good day when it starts with a suprise Sofitel pastry.

I had the L'Enfant (Grey Goose vodka, Chambord, Grand Marnier and lemonade) at Le Bar last night. It was tasty, but a steep $13. I liked the ambiance with all the pillows and cushy chairs; found the place to have a nice non-Washington feel (odd being just a couple block from The White House). So, anyone eat at Le Bar or Cafe 15 recently? I'll go there for a $15 burger if you tell me to.

"Before there was ye, there was me,"

sayeth Le Bar to Ici.

-- Fooderonomy 21:02-11

So, anyone eat at Le Bar or Cafe 15 recently? I'll go there for a $15 burger if you tell me to.

I can't tell you to, primarily because it's now $17 (either their website is outdated or there's special "Cherry Blossom" pricing).

Le Bar has fully 21 beers, not one of which is interesting. This evening I had a Palma Louca ($7.50) from Brazil which I'd never had before, and will never have again because it's just a dilute Pilsner imitation (they also had a Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat beer for the festival). The patio was open this evening, and crowded.

I'm curious what people think of this entry on their wine list which I wrote down, letter-for-letter:

"Lafite, Dom. Baron de Rothschild, Bordeaux"

It's $12 a glass and $50 a bottle with no vintage listed. They also have a Blanc which is labeled

"Lafite, Dom. Barons de Rothschild, Bordeaux"

for the same price.

I'm curious what people think of this entry on their wine list which I wrote down, letter-for-letter:

"Lafite, Dom. Baron de Rothschild, Bordeaux"

It's $12 a glass and $50 a bottle with no vintage listed. They also have a Blanc which is labeled

"Lafite, Dom. Barons de Rothschild, Bordeaux"

for the same price.

I surmise that they paid $10 a bottle for this, ergo, it certainly isn't Chateau Lafite-Rothschild, Premier Grand Cru Classé. Generic Bordeaux. What do I think of it? Deceptive.

I surmise that they paid $10 a bottle for this, ergo, it certainly isn't Chateau Lafite-Rothschild, Premier Grand Cru Classé. Generic Bordeaux. What do I think of it? Deceptive.

Isn't the deception on the part of the winery (or whatever conglomerate owns Lafite nowadays)?

Isn't the deception on the part of the winery (or whatever conglomerate owns Lafite nowadays)?

It is still owned by the branch of the Rothschild family that founded it. Looking at the Lafite site, I cannot find a wine with a similar name, the closest I can find is Baron de Milon and that is hardly deceptive as the name of the company that produces it is "Barons de Rothschilde [Lafite]" and it is in very small print on the label.