Steakhouses in NYC for a Private Party

MelGold

I'm planning a bachelor party for my best guy friend in NYC at the end of February, and we're looking for a good steak dinner at a respectable locale on Saturday night before the debauchery begins. I have a few places in mind - Bobby Vans, Craftsteak, etc. - but was hoping there was a "Rays the Steaks" type place in the City. You know, great steak, better prices, no need to dress to the nines... Lots of the attendees are traveling from far away (Germany, Texas, etc) so we're trying to keep the entire weekend relatively moderate in the price column.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Mel

I'm planning a bachelor party for my best guy friend in NYC at the end of February, and we're looking for a good steak dinner at a respectable locale on Saturday night before the debauchery begins. I have a few places in mind - Bobby Vans, Craftsteak, etc. - but was hoping there was a "Rays the Steaks" type place in the City. You know, great steak, better prices, no need to dress to the nines... Lots of the attendees are traveling from far away (Germany, Texas, etc) so we're trying to keep the entire weekend relatively moderate in the price column.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Mel

You probably will not find Ray's prices matched in NYC, but Keens Steakhouse is a personal favorite. I have been there dressed in some fairly ratty attire after a longer day of tavern-hopping, and they raised no eyebrows. I am sure you will be better dressed and in better condition.

You probably will not find Ray's prices matched in NYC, but Keens Steakhouse is a personal favorite. I have been there dressed in some fairly ratty attire after a longer day of tavern-hopping, and they raised no eyebrows. I am sure you will be better dressed and in better condition.

I second the recommendation for Keens. Just had dinner there last week, in fact. It's a fabulous old school NYC steakhouse experience, service is great (none of the attitude you'll find at Lugers), and the food (go for the porterhouse) is excellent.

P.S. Lugers is definitely worth experiencing (I love the bacon appetizer), but given the occasion (and a group event), I'd go with Keens.

Primehouse

http://www.brguestrestaurants.com/restaurants/primehouse_new_york/index.php

Striphouse

http://www.yelp.com/biz/strip-house-steak-house-new-york

Both places have great food and good atmosphere sans the old school "steakhouse" feel. Yes, Primehouse is part of the B R Guest restaurant chain but they produce great food, have good service and I like the fact that I am not surrounded by dark wood, black leather and no light.

Primehouse is more modern while Striphouse is, well, like a bordello in a slightly kitchy way. That may work for what you're doing.

PL is great for what it is: no frills, old time, old school, not great on customer service, pre-hipster Brooklyn steakhouse with great food and no ambiance. It all depends on what you want. If you want to cross the bridge and have to pay cash only for your steak dinner, go for it.

You could try BLT Steak but I was disappointed by the quality of their meat. Great sides and popovers but the meat was below average.