Thai Luang, Family-Owned in Herndon

Was in Chantilly at lunch running errands, so decided to give Thai Basil a shot.

Fantastic lunch. Started with the Tom Yum soup with mushrooms, absolutely delightful. Flavorful, and yet packed the promised punch on heat. TONS of mushrooms.

Had to go with the Pad Thai (with pork) to test. the kitchen. Definitely the best I can remember in recent years. Vibrant flavors, noodles perfectly cooked, no gumminess or gloopy sauce. Nongkran was working the room, saying hi to each table but it was clear there were a lot of regulars.

It's not exactly in my hood, but will definitely have to come back when I have time for a long lunch.

Daniel, after several recent meals at Lotus of Siam in Vegas, I'm not certain that any D. C. area Thai restaurant excites me. Thai Square was literally terrible on a visit a year or so ago. Thai Luaung in Herndon has a great deal of hope with several excellent dishes. Have you been to Luang? Did you try their "wild shrimp?" If so how would you compare it to the Chantilly restaurant?

Haven't been to Thai Luang yet, but I will put it on the list.

Actually, I haven't been to any of the Thai places in NoVa, including Thai Square. I've been to Ruan Thai and Nava Thai in Wheaton a few times, and a few other forgettable places in MoCo.

Thai Basil wins out of all of them for the two dishes I had, but since that was my only visit I can't say anything about the rest of the menu.

Last time I was in Vegas was 1982. Can't see myself heading back for Thai food...

Haven't been to Thai Luang yet, but I will put it on the list.

Actually, I haven't been to any of the Thai places in NoVa, including Thai Square. I've been to Ruan Thai and Nava Thai in Wheaton a few times, and a few other forgettable places in MoCo.

Thai Basil wins out of all of them for the two dishes I had, but since that was my only visit I can't say anything about the rest of the menu.

Last time I was in Vegas was 1982. Can't see myself heading back for Thai food...

Last night we went to Thai Laung. All of their shrimp dishes are excellent (i.e. shrimp penang, "wild shrimp") but when you stray from this the restaurant weakens. The dining room was full @8:00pm; literally not an empty seat. Overall, this fell far short of Vegas' Lotus of Siam which I now terribly miss. I have not found a Thai restaurant in the D. C. area that even approaches it.

Last night we went to Thai Laung. All of their shrimp dishes are excellent (i.e. shrimp penang, "wild shrimp") but when you stray from this the restaurant weakens. The dining room was full @8:00pm; literally not an empty seat. Overall, this fell far short of Vegas' Lotus of Siam which I now terribly miss. I have not found a Thai restaurant in the D. C. area that even approaches it.

Unfortunately, that dish isn't on their lunch menu, so I'll have to wait for a day when I'm working late at the office to try it.

Vegas, still off the list. :angry:

I don't think I've ever gotten shrimp at Thai Luang, except maybe in pad thai. The duck dishes, on the other hand, are excellent, and they had a whole fish with ginger and garlic as a special a couple of months ago that was nice as well.

One thing I've noticed is that they tend to make things spicier than most other Thai restaurants I've been to. Their 'medium' is more akin to the 'hot' at most places, and their 'American' and 'Thai' (hot) are genuinely fiery, with the latter being as hot as anything I've encountered that wasn't a novelty dish. You know, the "finish this taco and get a t-shirt" kind.

I'd heard that there also used to be an unofficial 'Marshal hot', named for a guy from AOL who used to visit there regularly, but I was also advised not to request it.

I have been distinctly underwhelmed by Thai Luang each time I've been in here over the years. First off, the restaurant strikes me as being somewhat dingy, bordering on sticky. I certainly can't say that it competes with Thai Square at its height. My last visit was about six months ago and the drunken noodles were merely mediocre.

If I had to take my pick of local Thai spots, I'd still rather go to Sakoontra in Fair Lakes.

Last night Thai by Thai in Sterling with their "off the menu" menu and tonight Herndon's Thai Luang on Elden street. No comparison, six or seven dishes at each later: Thai Laung. In particular a dish that we tried for the first time, "drunken noodles" which are flat noodles with ground chicken, ginger, garlic and two different kinds of thickly chopped chilis. "Thai hot" and worth it. My wife who is partial to Panang chicken/shrimp/anything preferred Luang. Thai by Thai is a wonderful fast food style restaurant with excellent fresh food at a very good price point. Much of Thai Luang however I believe is just a more serious step above. It is also more expensive: it should be.

Drunken noodles, any duck dish and several shrimp dishes including "wild jumbo shrimp" and "jumbo shrimp with fresh ginger."