Bistro L'Hermitage, Occoquan - Owner Youssef Eagle Essakl and Chef Dawn Burkhart's Classic-Styled French Bistro off the Waterfront

To kick off our week of dining out (my vacation), last Sunday we tried Bistro L'hermitage, technically in Woodbridge, but close enough to Occoquan to be considered part of that area. Halfway through our brunch we were already talking about a return visit.

The restaurant is beautiful, and very much what I think of as a French country bistro (in my imagination, at least). We were greeted graciously, and service throughout the meal was attentive and professional.

I ordered the hanger steak, medium rare, and egg, sunny side up. Both were perfectly cooked and delicious. The mixed greens salad was coated with a delicious vinaigrette, and the fried potatoes were crisp on the outside and soft inside, tasting like . . . potatoes. I loved every bite of everything on my plate. WW thoroughly enjoyed his grilled chicken Reuben with warm potato salad. The potato salad was lightly dressed with a mustard vinaigrette, and the taste I got was a perfect balance of acid and potatoes. I couldn't taste his sandwich, but he declared it wonderful.

The menu is filled with tempting offerings, and if all of the cooking is as careful and skillful as it was at our brunch, this is going to be one of our favorites--and we only have to cross the Occoquan to get there!

Any update on this place? Looking for a place to take the wife tonight. Can we do an appetizer, mains, and dessert for under $100 (including tax and tip; no alcohol)?

After looking at the menu, I guess the question for coming in under $100 is based on whether appetizers and desserts are large enough to be shared. That should make it easy enough to keep the cost under $100, but will we leave hungry? I haven't done much French dining, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Any update on this place? Looking for a place to take the wife tonight. Can we do an appetizer, mains, and dessert for under $100 (including tax and tip; no alcohol)?

Don't know how current the web site it, but apps are around $10, mains around $25, and dessert around $10.

From Open Table's 2013 list of the top 100 restaurants in America.  Bistro L'Hermitage, Cafe Renaissance, L'Auberge Chez Francois, CityZen, Rasika and the Seasons Restaurant in the Four Seasons make the list for the D. C. area along with Per Se, Bacchanalia, the French Laundry and Restaurant August.

An interesting top 100 to say the least.  We've been to Cafe Renaissance several times (and absolutely loved the ambience) and look forward to visiting Bistro l'Hermitage soon (Tom Sietsema, two and a half stars in '09)  An interesting list that is worth a bit of discussion.   Perhaps several of the local restaurants deserve a bit of attention on here, too.

• Like 2

dawn burkhart is one of dc's best classical chefs whom you've probably never heard of. her classic french cuisine is a direct result of being brought up by jean louis palladin, if i remember correctly, she was the ONLY woman on the savory side of that kitchen.  if you are down on the occoquan, this is THE spot to check out. 

• Like 1

From Open Table's 2013 list of the top 100 restaurants in America.  Bistro L'Hermitage, Cafe Renaissance, L'Auberge Chez Francois, CityZen, Rasika and the Seasons Restaurant in the Four Seasons make the list for the D. C. area along with Per Se, Bacchanalia, the French Laundry and Restaurant August.

An interesting top 100 to say the least.  We've been to Cafe Renaissance several times (and absolutely loved the ambience) and look forward to visiting Bistro l'Hermitage soon (Tom Sietsema, two and a half stars in '09)  An interesting list that is worth a bit of discussion.   Perhaps several of the local restaurants deserve a bit of attention on here, too.

[in a garden, the only flowers that bloom are the ones that have been planted.

Bistro L'Hermitage has been in Italic in the Dining Guide for years which is exactly where it belongs.]

• Like 1

Bistro L'Hermitage should be compared to L'Auberge Chez François in Great Falls, because in some ways, it's just as good, and in some ways, it's better - both of these restaurants exude charm, and are worth the drive from Washington, DC.

We were in Woodbridge on Friday, and stopped in for a late lunch at 2PM (lunch ends at 2:30PM). We asked the fully staffed restaurant if their kitchen was still open, and they didn't even bat an eye - I suspect if you show up at 2:25PM, you'll be treated the same way. We were given the best table in the restaurant, in the corner, overlooking the entire dining room, and the service for the duration of the meal was not just good, but superb - as good as you would expect at Marcel's.

After asking us for still, sparkling, or ice water, our exceptionally professional server asked us if we'd like a drink, and we each got a glass of Belle Jardin Blanc de Blancs Brut NV ($11), a sparkling wine from Alsace which is not a Crémant d'Alsace (which is fermented in bottle like Champagne); rather, Belle Jardin is made by a less-expensive process termed Charmat, where the wine ferments in tank (H/T: Ben Giliberti), thus, it would be termed a Vin Mousseux (just as Eskimos supposedly have fifty words for snow ... (you can tell a lot about what's important to a culture by its lexicon)). Note also that Calvert-Woodley is currently selling this wine for $143 a *case* - yes, it's a brutal markup by Bistro L'Hermitage (example #17,512 of why your restaurant adviser needs to be a beverage expert, every bit as much as knowing cuisine - but nobody ever is). In fact, I'm going to pick up the phone and call Calvert-Woodley right this minute, and order a case for myself (NB - I just did: total cost with tax, $157.30). This wine is perfect for an aperitif, a French '75, or to have by the bottle with Thai food - enjoy it.

Screenshot 2017-10-29 at 15.19.34.png

Normally, Bistro L'Hermitage would course everything out, but my dining partner ordered soup and salad, I ordered a sandwich, and at our request, they happily said they'd bring out everything together (it just made the most sense). They also brought out a basket of very good sliced baguette - not baked in-house, but seemingly baked earlier in the day, perhaps par-baked also - as well as a ramekin of wonderfully creamy butter, atop of which we sneak-shaked some salt and pepper (I have a fetish for lightly salted butter - nothing kinky; I just think it tastes better).

Soupe d'Onion [sic] ($8) was a bowl of deep, rich, seemingly long-cooked beef broth packed with onion flavor (and fully cooked slices of onion), along with a slice of that baguette topped with gruyère and some parsley as garnish. A perfect example of an imperfect dish that had been cooked with love, I would order this soup again and again - it was delicious.

IMG_3587.JPG

The Salade Cesar ($9) was a lovely plate of romaine leaves that was more appealing to the eye than to the palate. A perfectly lovely dish, but I prefer my romaine cut for me (unless it's grilled), and the dressing was more of a "creamy garlic" than that of a classic Cesar - they also skimped a bit on the white anchovies, and the croutons were crunchy-hard (they weren't from a box, but I prefer at least a touch of "give" in my croutons, which is why I generally cast them aside because they're so often like crackers). You can look at this salad and see that it wasn't bad, but if there was a weak link in the meal, this would have to have been it.

IMG_3588.JPG

Croque-Monsieur Classique ($16) was an interesting take on this wonderful French sandwich. Billed as a "hot ham and cheese sandwich," with "cornichons, Meaux mustard, and fries," that's pretty much what it was, and the thing that made it interesting to me was the combination of Meaux mustard and something I don't ever recall seeing on a Croque-Monsieur: the cheese they used was thinly sliced Brie. Much of Brie is made in the town of Meaux (it's not too far from Paris), and although this wasn't the AOC Brie de Meaux (which is unpasteurized and tragically illegal in the U.S.), I'm quite certain this cheese was Brie instead of the usual Gruyère (I even saw some tiny bits of the rind, which confirmed my suspicion - you can see a tiny piece of it in the center of the sandwich in the photo). I thought this (probably unintentional) coupling worked extremely well - they went heavy on the sliced ham, and the toast could even be considered "Texas toast," as it was quite thick. The fries were house-cut, and made this into one heck of a hearty meal which I couldn't quite finish. Incidentally, if you're ever in France, and come across "Brie de Meaux" that says "au lait cru" (raw milk), get it, even though you think you've had Brie a million times, this will be a life-changing experience. Raw-milk Brie de Meaux is one of the world's great cheeses, but even plain old, industrial Brie is a cheese that I've re-fallen in love with, and it worked very well on this sandwich.

IMG_3586.JPG

The food at Bistro L'Hermitage was very good, but as good as it was, it was surpassed by the charmingly beautiful atmosphere and the genuinely caring, professional service - Youssef Eagle Essakl knows how to run a restaurant with panache and aplomb. Bistro L'Hermitage *might* have been demoted from Italic, ever-so-briefly, when Chef Burkhart left for a few months, but it has been both classified in Italic, and also ranked as the #1 restaurant in Occoquan, since shortly after it opened in 2007 - there was nothing about this lunch that would make me think otherwise.

Jul 29, 2011 - "Bistro L'Hermitage Thrives after Beating Odds" by Janelle Esposito on patch.com

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1