Pupuseria Doí±a Azucena, Salvadoran Specializing in Pupusas in Four Area Locations

Just had a light lunch at Dona Azucena on Glebe Road, 50 yards north of Rte 50, almost to the car wash, and it was pretty good! I had a beef pastele and 2 corn tamales and they were both rather good! The beef pastele reminds me a great deal of the beef empanada at La Union, and that is pretty tasty. It had a nicely crispy, lightly browned crust with a good amount of beef and subtly savory olives in the filling. The cabbage would have benefitted from a bit of salsa roja, but I failed to ask for it. The corn tamales were the softer version, not as firm as La Union but tasty with nice chunks of chicken, and wait a minute, maybe the olives were in the tamals... Senior moment... Anyway, I am used to tamales con crema, with the crema being sour cream so I asked for it and they gave me crema, but it was regular heavy cream with a dash of spices tossed over it. I mentioned that it tasted different to the waitress and she was surprised that I wanted sour cream. Miscommunication was my fault, but it means I will have to go back and try to go a little deeper into the menu.

Nice light lunch, sweet waitress, quick service, $5.35 before tip. Well worth hitting again. smile.gif

• Like 1

Located near the intersection of University and Piney Branch at 8728 Piney Branch Rd

THis is a stuningly good pupuseria. We tried the Lorroco {Kay's favorite} and the Rebuelta {my favorite} along with a chicken tamal {very moist but in typical Saladorian style a little austere}, cicharones {the only not spectacular dish as it was a little chewy and lacking in crisped rendered fat}, and Tamarindo. We were the only table without at least one Spanish speaking person but the waitress spoke perfect English although she was worried that we didn't know what we were getting into which made for very attentive, "mom-like" service.

We were on our way to Samantha's when parking woes had us driving past. The contrasst of Samantha's pan-ethnic clientele where the only Spanish heard is really among the staff and this was amazing.

Way too much food for $20 including a 25% tip.

Located near the intersection of University and Piney Branch at 8728 Piney Branch Rd

THis is a stuningly good pupuseria. We tried the Lorroco {Kay's favorite} and the Rebuelta {my favorite} along with a chicken tamal {very moist but in typical Saladorian style a little austere}, cicharones {the only not spectacular dish as it was a little chewy and lacking in crisped rendered fat}, and Tamarindo. We were the only table without at least one Spanish speaking person but the waitress spoke perfect English although she was worried that we didn't know what we were getting into which made for very attentive, "mom-like" service.

We were on our way to Samantha's when parking woes had us driving past. The contrasst of Samantha's pan-ethnic clientele where the only Spanish heard is really among the staff and this was amazing.

Way too much food for $20 including a 25% tip.

Off topic, perhaps, but Dona Azucena in Springfield on Hechinger Drive makes amazing pupusas, too. My favorite also the Revuelta (pork, cheese, beans). I never use the hot sauce but never remember to say I don't want it and am always amazed when I open up my to-go-bag back at my desk to see a little plastic baggie of hot sauce. I would think a baggie of hot sauce violates the Geneva Convention? Would make a great weapon . . . .

At any rate, leaving that aside, those pupusas are tasty little suckers. Less than $2 each.

I am susceptible to heartburn but these never give me heartburn.

Off topic, perhaps, but Dona Azucena in Springfield on Hechinger Drive makes amazing pupusas, too. My favorite also the Revuelta (pork, cheese, beans). I never use the hot sauce but never remember to say I don't want it and am always amazed when I open up my to-go-bag back at my desk to see a little plastic baggie of hot sauce. I would think a baggie of hot sauce violates the Geneva Convention? Would make a great weapon . . . .

At any rate, leaving that aside, those pupusas are tasty little suckers. Less than $2 each.

I am susceptible to heartburn but these never give me heartburn.

I saw the other restaurant with the same name when I looked up the address on Google. Don't know if its the same people or not.

I saw the other restaurant with the same name when I looked up the address on Google. Don't know if its the same people or not.

I think it is. My paper menu is at the office so can't say for sure but did the one you went to have a graphic of a lady who was wearing sort of a Heidi costume if Heidi was from El Salvador?

I think it is. My paper menu is at the office so can't say for sure but did the one you went to have a graphic of a lady who was wearing sort of a Heidi costume if Heidi was from El Salvador?

All I remember was he blue shirts worn by the women making the pupusas to order and dropping them on the griddle.

Back from another meal here.  WHy don't we go more often.  We ordered way too much!  Enchiladas are a fried tortilla with shredded chicken, a slaw of some sort, a quarter hard boiled egg and a ring of pickled onion.  The tortilla being a thick Salvadoran style, this is one rich dish.  Only to be outdone on the richness scale by the Plantains with frijoles e crema.  The beans are incredibly rich with an almost Asian tang {probably 1/3 lard to beans I bet.  Our three pupusas were overkill: ciccharons and cheese, larocco, and revueltas.  The curtado was super and the tomato sauce, as almost always, bland and watery.  I had a melon and pineapple drink and Kay had their wonderful Horchata.  $21.50 for two!

• Like 2