Friday Happy Hour at Corduroy

KMango

Because some of us have been overdue in returning...

And others have not yet had the chance to experience it...

It's time to get our Corduroy on. Starting at 5:30 in the upstairs bar, join the DR crew for happy hour. We'll be able to order from the $30 3-course bar bar menu, a la carte menu, and perhaps a few special things just for us.

The bar technically opens at 5:00, but the kitchen does not start serving until 5:30. Feel free to arrive early and pioneer the path through the impressive wine and cocktail selections.

(first round on me for anyone who wears corduroy)

(all rounds on me if you wear nothing but corduroy)

(my round on you if you dare to mock my corduroy)

This was a delightful event, gastronomically and socially. I hadn't been to Corduroy in quite a while and, even accounting for some of the special treatment we received, I was reminded of the fact that this remains the best fine dining value in the city. Another way of saying this is, even if money is no object Corduroy still must be among the top five destinations in DC and environs. The Guinea Hen was a study in roast poultry and confit, immaculately executed. A squash soup of foie gras and prosciutto made me think that the latter two ingredients have no business being consumed in any other form. Wines by the glass were carefully chosen but modestly priced. (Corduroy also has a Philipponat Champagne on its menu, the first time I've seen this venerable house, and a personal favorite, on a menu in this area. Something to try next time.)

It was a pleasure to meet some newer Rockwellians, as well as da man himself. Thanks to Kriste (I hope I got that spelling right) and of course to Chef Power and his staff for a great display of what Corduroy can do.

Seriously, awesome job organizing this KMango, and thanks for facilitating my first visit to Corduroy. Everything was delicious, and now that I know how good Chef Power's cooking is, and that 3 courses are available every day for just $30, it'll be really hard to keep from gravitating toward Corduroy constantly.

Seriously, awesome job organizing this KMango, and thanks for facilitating my first visit to Corduroy. Everything was delicious, and now that I know how good Chef Power's cooking is, and that 3 courses are available every day for just $30, it'll be really hard to keep from gravitating toward Corduroy constantly.

Now you know one of the reasons that the bar in the old place was so popular with many of us. Just remember that the 3/$30 deal is only at the bar.

I'm still amazed I got off so lightly in my "drinks-4-cords" offer. I counted three in our crowd representing the tufted stuff.

Then again, I wore enough of the twisted fibers to start a small boutique.

Great time, everyone. Special hat tip to Chef Tom who spoiled us mercilessly.

(that kabocha soup could start a religion)

(egg-and-leg salad a fun and flowing frolic)

(save room for bread pudding and a sigh)