Best Valentine's Day Restaurants?

Kibbee Nayee

Well, Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and I've heard that it is one of the busiest restaurant days of the year (along with Mother's Day). So it's certainly not too early for us guys to begin comparing notes on where to nail down the reservation for an evening that guarantees that challenging combination of romance, atmosphere, fine food and wine, and (ahem) a happy ending to the evening.

I live in the NoVa 'burbs, and Maryland is just not worth the trek for me on Valentine's Day, so my list is along the following lines....

Pure romantic category:

Cafe Renaissance - Vienna

Bistro L'hermitage - Woodbridge

Trummer's on Main - Clifton

L'auberge Chez Francois - Great Falls (not worth the detour, IMHO)

High end category:

Inn at Little Washington (guaranteed happy ending; no need for jewelry)

2941 - Falls Church

Inox - Tysons

Restaurant Eve - Old Town

CityZen - Southwest

Sushi Bar with Koji at Sushi-Ko - Glover Park

Just plain good food category:

PassionFish - Reston

Zeffirelli's - Herndon

Present - Falls Church

Layalina - Ballston

Thai Basil - Chantilly

Kaz Sushi Bistro - Northwest

I'll dispense with a few others from downtown, like Komi or Palena, because they are already booked. But I am dying to see which places my male colleagues have picked out for that special occasion where they gaze lovingly into her eyes, fill her with opulent calories, tell her how much you love her, and hope and pray you can stay awake for the grand finale....

Keep in mind that it's on a Sunday this year, so that may limit your options.

I wonder how many restaurants will decide to be open for Valentine's Day Sunday. Eventide's website says they'll be open for dinner on Valentine's Day (they're normally closed for Sunday dinner) but closed for brunch.

For an unforgettable experience, you may want to wow her with a trek to The Restaurant at Patowmack Farm. I just received their newsletter which mentioned availability on Valentine's Day for either lunch 11:00-1:00 or dinner 6:00-9:00.

(for the record, kmango is anti-hallmark holidays)

(but pro-places like patowmack farm)

(so it was worth it to throw this into the mix)