Sometimes you just can't make it work. I think Michael deserves the credit for making the location unique, i.e. Presidential visits.

I'm really curious to see how Ben's Chili Bowl does in VA. Personally eating a half-smoke in Arlington seems weak to me, especially since late night visits to U Street after partying was part of the charm of visiting Ben's. The past few years going to Ben's has been more a showing tourists around DC trip. Who knows maybe it will have a large take out business in that location or morph into something like Ben's Next Door which I could see being successful in that location.

I finally got to Ben's in Rosslyn the other day.  It was terrfic.  But its also different.  I've thoroughly enjoyed and relished Ben's in DC and Ben's Next Door.  For me, I think some of it is DC.  Its that Ben's has been around for so long.  Its seen incredible changes.  It survived a lot.  The changes have been momentous.  Its real.  i've gone there and yakked with other customers.

It feels great.   I personally enjoy Ben's Next Door.  I love the feeling ambiance, friendliness and I enjoy the food...the combo of either eating something from Ben's or something more upscale in a very great DC environment.   Unfortunately I don't get to U Street as much as I did in the past...and frankly there are too many places there and along 14th to also try.

For me, Ben's in Arlington had a different feel.  Ohhhh...but the chili bowl was the same.  Loved it.  I am a fan of Ben's Chili and dogs.  I've driven and walked by Ben's/Arlington a lot...and too often I saw it crowded during the time I might have stopped by earlier.

One last little Arlington twist for me.  I like shakes.  I had a chocolate shake at Ben's in Arlington.  I probably like almost all shakes.   But I gotta admit in that little neck of the woods...if I was jonesing for a shake first, and food w/ the shake...I'd get it at Ray's across the street.  Ray's has scrumptious /take you back to being a kid quality shakes.   :D

But don't get me wrong.  Ben's Shakes do the trick.

Good to see you in Arlington, Ben's.  I'll be back.

• Like 2

I finally got to Ben's in Rosslyn the other day.  It was terrfic.  But its also different.  I've thoroughly enjoyed and relished Ben's in DC and Ben's Next Door.  For me, I think some of it is DC.  Its that Ben's has been around for so long.  Its seen incredible changes.  It survived a lot.  The changes have been momentous.  Its real.  i've gone there and yakked with other customers.

It feels great.   I personally enjoy Ben's Next Door.  I love the feeling ambiance, friendliness and I enjoy the food...the combo of either eating something from Ben's or something more upscale in a very great DC environment.   Unfortunately I don't get to U Street as much as I did in the past...and frankly there are too many places there and along 14th to also try.

For me, Ben's in Arlington had a different feel.  Ohhhh...but the chili bowl was the same.  Loved it.  I am a fan of Ben's Chili and dogs.  I've driven and walked by Ben's/Arlington a lot...and too often I saw it crowded during the time I might have stopped by earlier.

One last little Arlington twist for me.  I like shakes.  I had a chocolate shake at Ben's in Arlington.  I probably like almost all shakes.   But I gotta admit in that little neck of the woods...if I was jonesing for a shake first, and food w/ the shake...I'd get it at Ray's across the street.  Ray's has scrumptious /take you back to being a kid quality shakes.   :D

But don't get me wrong.  Ben's Shakes do the trick.

Good to see you in Arlington, Ben's.  I'll be back.

I hope Michael Landrum reads this.  Unthinkable that he would lose this location-whatever the reason.  I'm happy for Ben's Chili Bowl.  I first visited the U street location in 1962 or 1963.  If anyone was going to fill Michael's shoes it would be them.

I've no idea of the politics or reasons but I still can't believe that Michael let this go.

• Like 1

So I stopped off at Ben's in Arlington last night.  I drive or walk by often.   It was the emptiest I had seen it.  Last night I had a half smoke w/ chili.  Its the same as DC.  Its certainly a DC and DC region iconic restaurant.  Ben's food and history define modern DC and DC that goes back to the 1960's moving forward.  That alone is immense history and change.  And Ben's hasn't changed.

Between an earlier chili bowl and the half smoke w/ chili, Ben's in Arlington is the same quality as Ben's on U Street, imho.  I thought the chocolate shake was thicker/better than the first one I had.  hmmmm.

Got to sit at the counter b/c it was relatively empty...but only staff were there and they were busy.  so I couldn't yak it up with locals.  During the longish time I was there customers dressed up came in and customers in their dirtied work clothes came in.

Ah....Ben's it serves a cross section of America.  That alone makes it eminently worthwhile.  But them there chili dogs and half smokes are mighty fine.  :D

• Like 1

The grand opening for Ben's Chili Bowl at 1001 H St, NE, DC is on July 8, 2015 (via Ben's website)

The sign they have on the window at the 10th and H, NE, location says that the ribbon cutting for the grand opening  will be at 11 AM on July 8.