In Search of Butchers, Bakers, Cheese Purveyors And Fishmongers

ladycakeapril

Dear Gang,

I am looking for butchers, bakers, cheese purveyors and fishmongers, particularly in the southern Montgomery County area, who know the difference between quality and crap. I know there are a couple of Kosher butchers still in practice at Shalom in Wheaton, but there must be other beauties out there where only the in-the-know go.

Of particular interest would be small non-chains but if you love Balducci's or Rodman's, let me know.

Thanks!

I've developed a fairly good relationship with the butchers at the SS Whole Paycheck. They'll generally cut anything you want (within reason of course) and the cutters have never failed to cut something exactly as desired.

You can get Breadline baguettes and pain de campagne at Snider's off Georgia Ave just south of the beltway.

Upstream Seafood Market on Georgia again just south of the beltway just opened. The owner knows his stuff.

No real good cheese purveyors that I know of around.

Edited by JPW

For fishmonger check out River Falls Seafood in Potomac. Very expensive, but the fish and seafood are the best I've ever purchased. If you go early they may not have everything displayed yet, but ask. They have a small selection of high quality meats, too, but I'm not sure if they'll cut to order. You can also order almost any game bird from them. I believe the owner was formerly the fishmonger at SPG in Bethesda.

If y ou're willing to venture over to NW PG County (Laurel) try Laurel Meat Market on Main Street. If you want to be sure you get what you want and when you want it, it is best to order ahead. They have always been able to get me what I want and they cut to order and prep the meat any way you want.