Ingredient Source 911

Anna Blume

Thanks. Yeah, I have procrastinated on a NYE recipe, and find myself rampless.

I'm going to order these anyway just to see how they are!

This isn't something Erik Bruner-Yang might have at Honeycomb in Union Market, is it?

Interesting.  Never heard of them, but I'll have to look them up.

Do you grow purple asparagus?  I love them but I never see them at my local farmer's market.  Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I'm surprised I don't see them just for the weirdness/unique factor.  Mine seem to do better than my green ones.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I might find pickled ramps?  Thanks!

They definitely had them earlier in the year (as I supplied some of them)- not sure currently.

Eric has them again at Union Market, and they are delicious.

^Sur La Table, too, but call location first. Let us know what you think of vanilla paste vs. using beans (another good source for small amounts of beans now and again: Marshall's or TJ Maxx). FWIW, the paste's available at KA Flour online.

I got my vanilla bean paste at Home Goods. I used it to make some marshmallows in the holidays and the difference was quite noticeable, in a good way!

I get the vanilla bean paste at either Sur La Table or Home Goods (not always in stock at the one nearest to me.) It makes a big, positive difference in a vanilla pound cake that I make frequently, compared just to vanilla. Basically I am too lazy to scrape beans.

Anyone know where I might find Asturiana fabada beans in the DMV? I am loathe to pay La Tienda'a shipping charges.

Thanks!

They may have these at Taberna del Alabardero. If I were you, I'd go into the bar for a glass of wine (a *wonderful* place to drink wine that just might make you a new convert), and send a note back to the kitchen, asking nicely who their supplier is - it might be an even better idea to call first.

Can you substitute Gigante Beans? If so, Tom Power at Corduroy serves these *a lot*, and he'll be happy to share his source with you.