Tandoori Time, 19th and L Streets NW - Closed

Tandoori Time opened two days ago, and yesterday at lunch was pretty packed. Word gets out fast! Website is listed as www.tandooritimeDC.com, but doesn't seem to work, at least for me. They are in the upstairs location formerly occupied by Armands and Jerry's Subs--if you've been around that long to remember. :angry:

I stopped in this afternoon to check out the menu, and the buffet looked very tasty. I suspected they owned or operated another restaurant, so while I was waiting I asked about it--and they do. Mayur Kabab, on 11th and K. Very nice folks. I directed them to check out the website so hopefully they'll "stop by" and participate. I didn't want to spoil my dinner tonight so I ordered an Alu Paratha with a salted lassi. Points for the salted lassi, which is not easy to find around here. And the Paratha could've used a bit of salt, but was good. While waiting, I was offered a taste of the dessert, Gulab Jamun, from the buffet. If you have a sweet tooth...wow. Good stuff.

There is a full menu as well, and the hours are posted

M-Thurs 11am to 10pm

and for you late night owls,

Fri-Sat 11am to 3am.

The draw here for lunch will be the AYCE buffet, served at lunch only, 11-3 for $7.99. This is a steal. The buffet has 2 meat dishes, 4 veggies, 1 veggie app and 1 dessert, and is served with Naan, raita and salad. There was plenty on the buffet at 2:30, so if it is packed at the noon hour just delay your lunchtime a bit.

Glad to have them in the neighborhood!

Greek Deli's line was too long today so the lunch crew decided to give Tandoori Time a try. Hit up the $7.99 lunch buffet and walked away impressed. Today they had a chicken curry, vege curry, paneer makhani, lentils and a few other options. They also had bone-in tandoori chicken which was juicy and flavorful. Noting the brisk business, the buffet was being constantly replenished. I found the flavors to be a little toned down compared to some Indian restaurants in the area (i.e., Masala Art) but overall the naan was hot, the food seemed high quality and was tasty.

Also, they allow you to fill a Styrofoam container full of buffet items instead of sitting down, an option i'll probably choose in the future. And they have a lot of vegetarian options.

If you are in the area, I would recommend checking it out.

If anyone knows, does the buffet presentation differ from the one at Mayur? At that location, the food is behind a glass case where an employee scoops the food based on your direction. Once that part of the process is done, you a free to top yourself off with the tandoori chicken. You get a substantial amount of food.

Was the chicken curry on the buffet boneless? That would probably be my #1 complaint about Mayur -- even though they're cut up into nearly bite size pieces, there are a lot of bones in the chicken.

Chicken is bone-in, the buffet is self-serve and its a great deal at 7.99. Adam23's post is on point, both with regard to

the not-so-spicy food and the overall quality. Ive been three or four times and will go back.

Chicken is bone-in, the buffet is self-serve and its a great deal at 7.99. Adam23's post is on point, both with regard to

the not-so-spicy food and the overall quality. Ive been three or four times and will go back.

Depending on the day, they change up the dishes. One is bone-in, and one is not. Used to be on Mondays they had the boneless chicken, but I know they recently changed their menu up for variety. Also, price went up at a bit at the beginning of the year, but I have no problem with it as you get tons of food and they are good folk. Also good for those who like even numbers...as now the buffet is $9 even, tax inclusive, instead of $8.78. :)

I've also found on some days the dishes are much spicier than on others. I get my order to go, but always make sure to have a side of yogurt sauce just in case it turns out to be a very spicy day! If anyone works in the area and would like to do a GTLB meet up (Golden Triangle Lunch Bunch) I'm game.