Home Gardens - Tips, Tricks, Methods, and the Bounty

Elizabeth--

Aren't oak leaves, etc. a bit acidic on their own for vegetable garden compost? Back in the old days when I lived in Santa Monica and had a big organic garden, I was something of a student of an old-time organic farmer from Northern San Diego County who was the resident expert on a Pacifica radio show that was hosted by a friend of mine. Will, the farmer, taught that compost piles should be built in layers, with many different elements. One of his side businesses was selling seaweed compost, which I used, and I would also get horse manure from a private stable, an occasional load of mushroom compost, a small amount of grass clippings and dead leaves, garden waste and household vegetable garbage, oyster shell and probably other stuff that I can't recall. The resulting compost was amazing stuff.

I recall the U-Md cooperative extension agent telling us that if you compost leaves and grass clippings in just about any proportion, the resulting compost had a pH of just around 7. Even adding a fair amount of wood ash early on would not significantly raise the pH. Unfortunately I can't find a written confirmation of this in all my notes and Master Gardener materials.

My point really was that you don't have to get all fancy and spend lots of money and energy. Yes, you will get a better product faster if you use two parts grass clippings to one part leaves (yielding the optimal 30:1 C:N ratio), and pile it no more than four feet on each side, and turn it when the temperature gets too high and water it when it gets dry... but if you aren't inclined to do all that work, you will still get a fantastic soil amendment by using nothing more than broken down leaf matter.

MC Horoscope: in looking through all my notes I did find this in a Md CES publication called "Soil Test Basics":

"Nitrogen testing is not recommended because the levels of available nitrogen are variable due to changes in temperature, soil moisture, and microbial activity. The available forms of nitrogen are also very water soluble and move rapidly through the soil profile which causes their levels to fluctuate over time."

I really can't write this often enough: call your local Cooperative Extension Service's Master Gardener hotline and ask. I think just about every CES in the country now has a Master Gardener program. MGs are volunteers trained by their extension agents to help with homeowner type gardening questions, freeing the extensions to help farmers and commercial interests. Maryland and Virginia both have great programs.

I could write tons more but this isn't a gardening forum, after all. :blink:

Thank you all. I have been looking into the Maryland Cooperative Exchange Service Web site. I think I will contact them. I contacted them earlier this summer about beetles eating up the leaves on my eggplant and they were very helpful! (The beetles can be deterred by spreading straw around your plants. Apparently they don't like to walk on straw!) :blink:

I have one that my mother-in-law bought and left here when she sold us this house. If anyone out there wants to haul it away, you can have it. We've never used it.
Is it a big one or a little one (yeah I know how big they are, just trying to figure out which model it is to see if my vehicle is big enough to come get it. :blink:

Has anyone tried or heard anything about the AeroGarden?

I see ads for it on TV a lot these days, and the reviews on Chowhound and eGullet are generally positive. Truth be told, I don't have the time or patience to deal with conventional gardening, so the product has some appeal.

Herbs are probably what I would grow. Hard to tell if the output justifies the cost of the unit.

I looked into this and came to the conclusion that the costs outweigh the output. That being said, they are pretty cool and have had good reviews. There were some posts on how to grow your own seeds (verses buying theirs). No one seems to discount the thing and it is exempted from coupons at places like BB&B and L&T. I am waiting for someone to publish a DIY guide or a knockoff.

I see ads for it on TV a lot these days, and the reviews on Chowhound and eGullet are generally positive. Truth be told, I don't have the time or patience to deal with conventional gardening, so the product has some appeal.

Herbs are probably what I would grow. Hard to tell if the output justifies the cost of the unit.

The verdant, leafy pictures on the box depict the *house plant* seeds at a month old. The herbs look quite different.

Here is our plan (ok, my wife's plan) for this year's garden. Most of the planting is in raised bed gardens, most of which we turned over this weekend.

FRUITS

• raspberries (planted last year)
  • red currants (planted 2 years ago)
  • watermelon
  • Starking peaches (don't really expect much for 1-2 years)
  • strawberries

VEGGIES

• shelling beans
  • green beans
  • corn
  • snap pea pods
  • tomatoes (many varieties including grape, roma, beefsteak and a variety of heirloom)
  • green peppers
  • cucumbers (slicing & pickling)
  • summer squash
  • lettuce
  • garlic & shallots
  • green onions
  • swiss chard
  • asparagus (don't really expect much for 1-2 years)

HERBS

• parsley
  • basil
  • cilantro
  • Stevia
  • rosemary (planted several years ago, have a LARGE bush)
  • sage (planted several years ago, have a LARGE bush)
  • thyme (planted several years ago, have a LARGE patch)
  • marjoram (planted several years ago, have a LARGE patch)
  • oregano (planted several years ago, have a LARGE patch)

More for craft stuff, but edible...

• luffa gourds (can eat when young... and I want to make soap filled sponges too)
  • sunflowers

Huh? I'm guessing this isn't some sort of peach tree. What is it?

It is a peach tree - Starking is the varietal. But the trees are only about 3' tall now, so we don't expect any fruit for at least a couple of seasons.

P.S. If anyone wants some of the herbs listed as "large bush" above, just let me know during season. You can come and pick to your heart's content - we use such a small percentage of the crop...

Does anyone have and use a ComposTumbler? Do you love it? Hate it? Or are you indifferent? Is it worth the bucks?

I have one in my yard that I don't use--it was purchased by my mother-in-law, who was an avid gardener. Anyone who wants to come and pick it up can have it for free. It will require a pick-up truck and a couple of people to move it. PM me if you are interested.

Here is our plan (ok, my wife's plan) for this year's garden. Most of the planting is in raised bed gardens, most of which we turned over this weekend.

Very ambitious - cool!

I just ordered asparagus crowns (sigh, had to start over after 8 years), seed potatoes, and seeds for brussels sprouts, collards, Swiss chard, carrots, spinach, chiogga beets, and lemon cucumbers. Some of these I've never grown before, so I'm looking forward to something new. Later I'll buy some tomato plants and peppers from DeBaggio. I'm too busy most of this season to start seed and grow plants in the basement under the grow light. :mellow:

Alright, the cobbler's children have no shoes-I work p/t at a garden center, but is anything in my yard ready to go? NO!

This next week, I'll try to set up some EBs for lettuce & other early stuff (I do have 1 out there, w/ Ch. cabbage, that I keep forgetting to harvest). I hope to see something out of the fig trees scattered around the yard & this year, I will be planting pawpaws (from Peterson's pawpaws). I also have herbs that have overwintered & a humonguous compost pile...

So I know absolutely zilch about gardening (although I think I once smelled a tulip), but I've got a townhouse with a yard. Since we haven't touched the landscaping in the year we've lived here, it's starting to look like something from Life After Humans. Plus, I'm sick of paying $2.99 when I want a sprig of fresh rosemary. Tomatoes, some aesthetically pleasing bushes...

What's a good place to start? Can someone recommend a good book for the clueless?

And I mean REALLY clueless... like, do I need to buy dirt? Can I plant whatever whenever wherever?

Not looking for answers to any specific questions... just a good way to edumacate myself.

I'm not looking for a book written by an expert who really knows their shit, I'm looking for a book for someone who isn't an expert and doesn't know shit.

I just got a recommendation from a gardening friend who has lived here for over thirty years. He told me to buy the Washington Star Garden Book by Youngerman. I picked one up on eBay. Apparently, Youngerman worked for the Evening Star paper and started gardening when everyone was encouraged to plant a Victory garden. He got so good at it that all the columns eventually made their way into a book that outlines all the gardening tips that are perfect for this area. So no adjustments for this zone or that, just which plants work, and where and when they should be planted. I can't wait to get my copy. We are closing on a house this Thursday, and for the first time in many many years, I will have a sunny yard. ;) So if the squirrels don't get them first, there are heirloom tomatoes in my future...

And I mean REALLY clueless... like, do I need to buy dirt? Can I plant whatever whenever wherever?

Not looking for answers to any specific questions... just a good way to edumacate myself.

Trial and error. Every year you learn something new.

Tomatoes are a good place to start. If you give them the right environment you should be pleased with the results.

Right environment = good dirt, lots of organic material, aka humus, frequently the result of compost, which can be bought at a garden store. You might be able to mix your yard dirt with compost, but builder's "soil" is often subsoil, not topsoil, and you need topsoil. Topsoil has living organisms like worms and beneficial bacteria. The worms make air holes and the plant roots need little holes for air and water to get through. Well rotted manure is another good thing to add to dirt. Your tomatoes want their dirt dark, fluffy, loamy, full of decaying vegetable matter.

They want a LOT of sunlight.

They want you to water them from ground level, like a soaker hose, or bury the hose head in the raised bed, or dig a hole for a coffee can with the bottom cut out, something that won't get water on the leaves, which causes blight. They want a lot of water.

They want fertilizer, lots of fertilizer, like Tomato Tone (organic) or Miracle Gro (not organic), and top dressing with more compost or manure.

They want you to plant them after the last frost, when the ground is warm. Tradition around here is Memorial Day weekend, just to be safe, although many get a jump by using black mulch to warm the soil or Wall-of-waters. That may be a little high tech for a beginner.

They want you to stake them because the tomato fruits are heavy, and if they touch the ground they will rot.

They want you to pull off the suckers, which, if you have room, you can turn into new tomato plants.

They want mulch. Red plastic mulch is something I can recommend but you might prefer straw. This keeps the soil moist and keeps the weeds down.

They want you to pull off the caterpillars that love to munch on their leaves. You don't have to spray unless you are too squeamish to touch a caterpillar.

You will feel like a million dollars when you harvest and eat your own homegrown tomatoes.

So I know absolutely zilch about gardening (although I think I once smelled a tulip), but I've got a townhouse with a yard. Since we haven't touched the landscaping in the year we've lived here, it's starting to look like something from Life After Humans. Plus, I'm sick of paying $2.99 when I want a sprig of fresh rosemary. Tomatoes, some aesthetically pleasing bushes...

What's a good place to start? Can someone recommend a good book for the clueless?

I'm not looking for a book written by an expert who really knows their shit, I'm looking for a book for someone who isn't an expert and doesn't know shit.

Herbs will be your friends. Most of them are hardy like weeds. They do like sunlight, though my mint varieties thrive in the heavily shaded back yard. Rosemary likes to be dry, and you will want to purchase a winter-hardy variety that can stand our cold snaps. Give yours at least a 3 foot wide space because it will grow quite large in 2 years. It is possible, with care, to trim it like a hedge.

I agree about tomatoes. If you want one that can survive almost anything, go for a Matt's Wild Cherry, available from DeBaggio. This is a prolific producer that will, if unpinched, sprawl 6 or more feet from its main stem. We grow ours in the front yard behind the azelea hedge, which provides support. The tomatoes are tiny but full of flavor and it will produce until a killing frost.

The DeBaggio's catalog usually has some basic information about care of the various herbs.

I just got my copy of the Washington Star Garden book, and it is great! It starts with how to check for what sort of soil you have and how to make it right for planting, and then goes into specifics for growing each type of plant and which varieties are the best for the region. This book is amazing. As an example, for sweet corn, it tells you how to plant the seeds (depth and how far apart), when to plant, how much to plant for how much you want to get out of your garden, how to stagger planting for a continuous supply, the size of the bed best for good pollination and good yield, which varieties work in the DC metro area, how and when to fertilize, which types of fertilizer to use, how to support the stem with extra soil and when to do it, how to deal with typical pests, when to weed, and how to know when you should harvest. And it has chapters on landscaping, trees, shrubs, grasses and ground covers, bulbs, flowers, roses, food plants, herbs, container gardening including indoor plants, shade gardening, and wildflowers. This is so great! Everywhere I've lived before I've had to guess what would work for my exact location. No more guessing. ;)

My issue is the 1988 version which is supposed to be "updated" from the others, but never having seen the others, I can't really say what has been updated. But this is really useful. I can't wait to get into the garden!

I just got my copy of the Washington Star Garden book, and it is great! It starts with how to check for what sort of soil you have and how to make it right for planting, and then goes into specifics for growing each type of plant and which varieties are the best for the region. This book is amazing. As an example, for sweet corn, it tells you how to plant the seeds (depth and how far apart), when to plant, how much to plant for how much you want to get out of your garden, how to stagger planting for a continuous supply, the size of the bed best for good pollination and good yield, which varieties work in the DC metro area, how and when to fertilize, which types of fertilizer to use, how to support the stem with extra soil and when to do it, how to deal with typical pests, when to weed, and how to know when you should harvest. And it has chapters on landscaping, trees, shrubs, grasses and ground covers, bulbs, flowers, roses, food plants, herbs, container gardening including indoor plants, shade gardening, and wildflowers. This is so great! Everywhere I've lived before I've had to guess what would work for my exact location. No more guessing. ;)

My issue is the 1988 version which is supposed to be "updated" from the others, but never having seen the others, I can't really say what has been updated. But this is really useful. I can't wait to get into the garden!

Thanks for the book tip to those of you that recommended this.

Herbs are probably the easiest way to start in the garden. You almost can't kill them, especially in pots/containers.

One way to get past lousy soil is to build raised beds and stock it with excellent soil and additives....

From last year's garden-HUGE rosemary bushes, I can't begin to use these up, I will just have to prune & throw...

Signs of life from last year-tarragon, thyme, 'Pink Panda' strawberries, purple fennel, mountain mint (pycnanthemum), blueberries, jujubes (just barely), figs (lots of buds)-now, to plant out more stuff...

This weekend was the big soil turnover and recovery of the last of the old plots, put several new plots down, and potatoes and peas went into the ground.

With the new planting, we're now up to 12 4'x4' raised-bed gardens for vegetables, plus the herb garden and several fruit trees and berry bushes.

I'd like some advice on where to buy plants. I want to grow a few heirloom variety plants like German stripe tomatoes and moon and stars watermelons, but due to size constraints in the planting area itself, I can only use only one or two plants of each. I went to the plant sale at Green Spring Garden and was somewhat disappointed in the selections available. Most people had herbs, I assume due to their popularity. Is there a good source for heirloom vegetable plants in Alexandria or Arlington? Am I looking too early? Thanks -Linda

I'd like some advice on where to buy plants. I want to grow a few heirloom variety plants like German stripe tomatoes and moon and stars watermelons, but due to size constraints in the planting area itself, I can only use only one or two plants of each. I went to the plant sale at Green Spring Garden and was somewhat disappointed in the selections available. Most people had herbs, I assume due to their popularity. Is there a good source for heirloom vegetable plants in Alexandria or Arlington? Am I looking too early? Thanks -Linda
Try DeBaggio's Herbs for heirloom tomatoes. Call before you go if there are certain varieties you want but they have a LOT of heirloom varieties and the quality is very high. Admittedly DeBaggio is in Pleasant Valley, not Alexandria, but I think it's a worthwhile trek.

I know I saw moon and star watermelons this weekend, for some reason Home Depot comes to mind! Either that or Merrifield, it could also be DeBaggio, I am just not sure. But you still have time to start those from seed, it's too cold to set them out yet.

I've been lax and haven't made it to a farmer's market yet. I'm not sure the ones I go to have even started yet. I have to go to Home Depot anyway, so I will check there. DeBaggio's is a huge trek for me - there's just no good way to get there from here! I've been there a couple of times and it was really good for unusual plants. I bought several of their scented geraniums. I may give them a call. Thanks!

I've been lax and haven't made it to a farmer's market yet. I'm not sure the ones I go to have even started yet. I have to go to Home Depot anyway, so I will check there. DeBaggio's is a huge trek for me - there's just no good way to get there from here! I've been there a couple of times and it was really good for unusual plants. I bought several of their scented geraniums. I may give them a call. Thanks!

In case you're willing to do mail order, seeds of change also sells heirloom vegetable plants. At the FONA sale at the arboretum this weekend there was a vendor who sold exclusively heirloom vegetable plants (about $3 each, i think). I don't remember their name, unfortunately, but you might want to check the list of vendors coming to green spring's garden day this year to see if it looks like one of the vendors will sell heirloom vegetables. (the garden day is much, much larger than the weekly garden market plant sales)

If you are undecided about the trek to DeBaggio, consider making a chowish sidetrip. I suggest Picante for excellent-for-the-DC-metro-area Mexican.

I know that people rave about Taqueria Poblano in Deray but I think Picante is better, as I am a big fan of their fish Veracruz style.

(Note to purists, I said "excellent-for-the-DC-metro-area" which may be faint praise, OK?)

stopped by DiBaggios this week - it was actually only about 30 mins from downtown with no traffic - I would estimate they had at least 40-50 different tomato varieties, same for peppers, 10-15 eggplant varieties, 10-15 basil

the place is a treasure!

^Let's see then, that's more than 100 ways to feed the squirrels! ;) It sounds like it's definitely worth the trip out there, and I really want some nice yellow pear tomatoes and sweet 100s if I can find them. One of our friends is coming over this weekend with a small chainsaw and a chipper/shredder, (I envision many manly activities taking place in the yard), so the plot should be completely cleared and ready Monday. Right now it is edged by some nasty Euonymus shrubs (not the pretty red ones) that are completely out of control, and also shade much of this corner of the yard and prevent air circulation. I've decided they are better off as compost.

I ran around a little a few days ago and found some locally and organically grown herb and vegetable plants at Home Depot. I picked up a Rutgers tomato plant and some Italian parsley. Most of my herbs have just gone into the ground after too many years in pots in my deck "garden." I'm hoping they grow with happiness instead of dying from shock.

Just remember that Mother's Day is the traditional planting day for warm weather vegables in the DC Metro area. I used to live next door to a guy who actually waited for Memorial Day to plant his tomatoes and he grew excellent tomatoes.

I totally understand the urge to get an early start but this is a La Nina year, colder and wetter than usual, unlike El Nino years which are warmer but drier.

If you insist on jumping the gun, use Wall-o-waters and/or black mulch.

Just remember that Mother's Day is the traditional planting day for warm weather vegables in the DC Metro area. ..I totally understand the urge to get an early start but this is a La Nina year, colder and wetter than usual, unlike El Nino years which are warmer but drier.

Seriously, what Ilaine said. More often than not we get a week of cool, wet weather after Mothers Day. If that happens, you might not lose your warm weather crops (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, basil), but their growth will be set back by more than a week. It is much, much better to wait a week longer to assure success. Trust me, I learned this one the hard way, not by reading about it on the 'net. Patience is a gardener's best asset.

Patience is a gardener's best asset.
That and a strong back! ;)

Which I don't have any more but soldier on.

I forgot to mention that any 'mater plants etc. you buy at a store will be fresh out of a greenhouse and will need to be hardened off before transplanting.

The hardening off process itself takes about a week, at least that's what I give it for tomatoes. Take them outside during the day, bring them in at night.

I suspect that a nice warm Wall-o-water would short cut this but I have yet to actually set up my Wall-o-waters. I find them daunting. But my tomatoes are already hardened off, and I did jump the gun, so if I have time today after planting the things I should have already planted (taters, carrots, beets, parsnips, peanuts) will try them.

Edit: Whoops, no. Must set Wall-o-waters up a week before transplanting.

Went to the Green Spring Garden sale this morning. I realize I may be the only one in the DC Metro area who has never been (and was not in attendance at 9 AM), but it was a very large sale with lots of bedding plants, trees, shrubs, and vegetable plants. I picked up a yellow pear tomato, a sugar baby watermelon, and some catnip. Everyone had herb plants, and the main greenhouse even had a reasonable selection of scented geraniums. If you hurry, you can get various and sundry tomato plants from the Master Gardener booth for just $1. I'm pretty sure the gardeners donated what they grew and did not plant, so they are interesting varieties. (Complete disclosure - my mother is a Master Gardener in Florida, and I think they are very nice people. :lol: )

So I'm trying a new experiment this year with my tomato plants and thought I'd share initial results. I have four plants this year of various varieties, but only enough deck space / planters for two of the plants. I remember those upside down stands from the TV infomercials, so thought I'd try my own homemade version. I took two five gallon buckets and drilled a hole in the center of each with a standard hole saw. I then lined the bottom with landscape mesh and inserted a tomato plant into each so that the plant was upside down and the roots in the bucket. Filled it with Miracle Gro potting soil and hung them from two hooks about 8 feet above the ground under a cantalevered roof on my addition. The other two plants were planted as normal in pots with same said soil. Both have received the same amount of water.

The results are quite different. The two hanging are getting quite large and have already flowered. the other two are doing as I normally expect for this time of year. While the two in the buckets are still attempting to grow up and curling, the curve is less pronounced and I expect the plants to get gradually straighter when the fruit starts to weigh the vine down.

Just a few observations. I need to take some pictures and post them, but it is an interesting experiment that, if successful, will allow me to grow a lot more tomatoes than usual.

So I'm trying a new experiment this year with my tomato plants and thought I'd share initial results. I have four plants this year of various varieties, but only enough deck space / planters for two of the plants. I remember those upside down stands from the TV infomercials, so thought I'd try my own homemade version. I took two five gallon buckets and drilled a hole in the center of each with a standard hole saw. I then lined the bottom with landscape mesh and inserted a tomato plant into each so that the plant was upside down and the roots in the bucket. Filled it with Miracle Gro potting soil and hung them from two hooks about 8 feet above the ground under a cantalevered roof on my addition. The other two plants were planted as normal in pots with same said soil. Both have received the same amount of water.

The results are quite different. The two hanging are getting quite large and have already flowered. the other two are doing as I normally expect for this time of year. While the two in the buckets are still attempting to grow up and curling, the curve is less pronounced and I expect the plants to get gradually straighter when the fruit starts to weigh the vine down.

Just a few observations. I need to take some pictures and post them, but it is an interesting experiment that, if successful, will allow me to grow a lot more tomatoes than usual.

This is an excellent idea! I think I'll give it a try.

Chickenlover-how about flavoring oil and vinegar with the sage.

My in-laws were visiting this weekend and we wound up taking a ride out to Middleburg on Sat. The pulled pork sandwich and potato salad are as good as ever at Market Salamander. Anyway, we stopped at Debaggio's on the way back and I picked up about a dozen herbs. Rosemary, Basil, Thai Basil, Micro Basil, two types of lavender, pineapple sage, regular sage, bergamot mint, Kentucky spearamint.

I purchased doubles of the pineapple sage and K. mint to give to my MIL-she was just blown away by the herbs that she's never heard of.

So one of my super nice neighbors revived the herb garden behind our condo buildings and filled it with about a dozen herbs that are doing fine, EXCEPT the basil which is being attacked and nibbled on by the alley cats, birds, squirrels or some other little critters. Anyone have an idea how to keep the basil intact and ward off the snackers? Thanks.

We have a very small backyard that we try to keep as colorful and fragrant as possible, and nothing beats herbs for the amount of productivity in a small space. We have a large rosemary bush that has been going strong for about 4 years, some amazing thyme that just won't die, and a patch of lavender that is about to take over two of my wife's prized roses. This year being no different from previous years we decided we needed a little more so we went a little nuts at DiBaggios. We have multiple varieties of basil, mint, oregano and sage, along with chives and another rosemary bush. I am really interested to know what the "mystery" basil will be like.

We also have six verities of peppers, and 3 types of artichokes all purchased from The Natural Gardening Company. I just wish that I could grow tomatoes, but every time I try the fluffy tailed tree climbing rats eat them all.

So one of my super nice neighbors revived the herb garden behind our condo buildings and filled it with about a dozen herbs that are doing fine, EXCEPT the basil which is being attacked and nibbled on by the alley cats, birds, squirrels or some other little critters. Anyone have an idea how to keep the basil intact and ward off the snackers? Thanks.

As a kid my mom didn't believe in pesticides in her garden (her painfully long natural food / natural living phase) and mixed cayenne pepper and water together in a spray bottle. It kept a lot of animals away and we never noticed any problems with the plants. Another thing cats hate is citrus, so I don't know if something citrus based would work.

So far, it's been a strange cool, rainy spring-I have 6 Earthboxes planted up w/ veg- 3 Sungold tomatoes, Early Girl, Big Boy, Better Boy, Orange Oxheart & Mortgage lifter, 2 Turkish orange eggplant, peppers-holy mole, thai hot, & carribean hot. I have some other tomatoes planted out in the beds, cucumbers-straight eight & cool breeze, Ichiban eggplant, okra, & lots of herbs. The rain is good, now we just need some heat...the fig trees are all leafing out, my pineapple guavas from last year made it through the winter, although I doubt they'll fruit. I need to replant my new pawpaws deeper & I'm thinking about what other edibles to add-some gorgeous blueberries just came in at the garden center...best performer last year-vietnamese cilantro (rau ram), got to be a bush about 3' around (& I used alot of it)...

Blueberries do very well here. The bushes are relatively nondescript but attractive, and undemanding. In the fall they turn interesting colors like bronze and burgundy. I'd plant them any place you'd plant an azalea. Not that the flowers are showy in any way.

Blueberries do very well here. The bushes are relatively nondescript but attractive, and undemanding. In the fall they turn interesting colors like bronze and burgundy. I'd plant them any place you'd plant an azalea. Not that the flowers are showy in any way.

Good to hear that blueberry bushes do well in this climate. I just put in three - two dwarf hybrid and a regular fairly tall one. I bought the dwarf bushes and then read that you needed another variety to cross-pollinate to get the fruit to set. Thus, the standard bush as well. I've never grown blueberries before, so I went ahead and got the other variety. We had wild raspberries growing up and I seem to have what appears to be another raspberry bush on my property - probably left by birds. I think I need to try and transplant it as it is in an area of shade.

We tried to grow paw paws last year from seed, but they didn't take. Looks like another trip to Great Falls late this summer for more. Now to just get those carrots and radishes in the window box planters this weekend.