monavano

What Are You Baking?

PIstachio biscotti using the hazelnut biscotti recipe from Baking with Julia. I'll send Mr. lperry out in the snow to deliver them to neighbors.

^

Oh, shut up!

All they had at the Safeway were three 1-lb. bags of self-rising flour. Bought one anyway, figuring it will do for cornbread (buttermilk & defrosted corn kernels).

Also picked up a 12-pack of 0-trans fat chocolate-chip dough already shaped into cookies. ;)

Also picked up a 12-pack of 0-trans fat chocolate-chip dough already shaped into cookies. ;)

And to think, I've lived my life this long not even knowing such a thing exists.

It must be fimbulvetr, because ragnarok is nigh if you're buying foods like this. :P

I really need to find something to do

Cinnamon rolls. Should be for breakfast, but couldn't wait.

GE: what recipe? Also, you might like the pretzelsI made yesterday for an activity with GElittleboy. Mine didn't turn out pretty but I could see with practice it could get easier...

It must be fimbulvetr, because ragnarok is nigh if you're buying foods like this. ;)

I really need to find something to do

Guess what. They weren't very good.

Now, if I'm making cornbread w self-rising flour, do I skip salt and leavening agents completely? N.B. I plan on using buttermilk.

Now, if I'm making cornbread w self-rising flour, do I skip salt and leavening agents completely? N.B. I plan on using buttermilk.

Yes. My grandmother always used self-rising flour for cornbread and biscuits. No salt, baking powder, or baking soda.

GE: what recipe? Also, you might like the pretzels I made yesterday for an activity with GElittleboy. Mine didn't turn out pretty but I could see with practice it could get easier...

Made up recipe - meaning, I combined two recipes and played around. Gelittleman refuses to bake with me. He only did it once, making a mixed-berry crisp with me, but only because he got to eat the berries during the mixing....

Will try the pretzel making though sometime when I don't have the little man. Yesterday, I wanted to make banana pudding or bake something to pass the time and our conversation went something like this:

Me: [gelittleman], want to make banana pudding together?

GLM: No.

Me: Cookies? You can eat the chocolate chips?

GLM: No. How about playing hot wheels cars with me?

Me: [seeing how this got nowhere, decides to bake cinnamon rolls after the little man went to bed] Um, okay. Vrroooom.

(Banana pudding for later tonight...Making lemonade, making lemonade....) <- Messed this up in haste. Back to the drawing board.

Edited by goodeats

Thank you to those who suggested proofing dough in the oven with the light on. Wow! Yesterday, I made my usual pizza dough (ala Tyler Florence) and proofing it in the oven with the light on made for voluminous dough that was outstanding. I think using new packets of Active Dry Yeast helped too.

Thanks!

Thank you to those who suggested proofing dough in the oven with the light on. Wow! Yesterday, I made my usual pizza dough (ala Tyler Florence) and proofing it in the oven with the light on made for voluminous dough that was outstanding. I think using new packets of Active Dry Yeast helped too.

Thanks!

The only problem is that you now have proofed dough and an unheated oven, unless of course you have 2 ovens or other means to bake the pie.

The only problem is that you now have proofed dough and an unheated oven, unless of course you have 2 ovens or other means to bake the pie.

I was proofing pizza dough and I am fortunate to have 2 ovens. Although, after the oven proof, the dough was cut into 3 portions and proofed again (recipe calls for another 15 min). I wasn't ready to make 'za's just yet, so I wrapped the dough(s) in plastic wrap.

Not baking right now...but during the blizzard we did make some tasty Blueberry Scones (using blueberries bought then frozen during the summer)

post-44-126652140288_thumb.jpeg

Yesterday, cinnamon raisin bread from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. The family says it's yummy, in part due to the generous quantity of raisins. I have a raisin aversion so have not tried it.

Tonight, chocolate chip cookies.

Made some killer baguettes at the beginning of the week. I used the breadmaker to mix/knead everything, and then I took the dough out to punch it, let it rest, shape it, and let it rise one more time. The loaves came out nice and crusty on the outside, and pretty darn close to perfectly tender on the inside.

Getting better at bread-baking is surely going to be disastrous for my diet...

I think using new packets of Active Dry Yeast helped too.

I keep my yeast in the fridge and find that, even with that precauation, I get noticeably better results if I open a new packet every couple of weeks even if the old one isn't finished.

I keep my yeast in the fridge and find that, even with that precauation, I get noticeably better results if I open a new packet every couple of weeks even if the old one isn't finished.

I've switched to packets because I noted the same thing, even though I kept the jar in the fridge.

Yesterday, I made another loaf of Almost No Knead Bread. I did the 2nd proof in the oven with the light on, and I found that I got a better crumb-more consistent with smaller holes. I had a couple slice warm, slathered with Alouette Sundried Tomato.

I'm getting hooked on this bread baking thing, and yes, Betty Joan, nicht gut for the gut ;)

I've switched to packets because I noted the same thing, even though I kept the jar in the fridge.

Last year my MIL gave me a tall jar of instant yeast (from KA, I think) that she had kept around for more than half a dozen years, always in the freezer. I brought it back, put it in my freezer, and it has worked fine in every recipe I've used it for. I typically keep yeast packets in the freezer and they don't always seem to keep their strength over time. Not sure what accounts for the difference.