What Are You Baking?

monavano

Date nut spice bread from the Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics. This recipe let me both use a cookbook and finish up three items that had been around the kitchen a while, so I'm feeling vastly superior to my usual kitchen self. I tried something new with this recipe that I haven't done before - I didn't like the looks of the zest on the aging oranges I juiced for the bread, so I added in some Angostura orange bitters. It smells really good in the oven, so I hope it comes out well.

An apricot-buttermilk bundt cake. I've adapted a recipe from The Perfect Finish by Bill Yosses and Melissa Clark, substituting chopped fresh apricots for the blackberries the book calls for. I had close to a quart of apricots sitting in the fridge that needed something done with them. I also added some cardamom and orange zest to the vanilla in the recipe. Let's hope it works! After the cake bakes, the recipe instructs that holes be poked in the cake with a skewer and a cooked orange juice and powdered sugar glaze poured over to soak into the cake. I'm going to add a few drops of orange flower water to the glaze.

This is the first time I've made something from the book, which has recipes for some very intriguing desserts in it.

Peanut butter and strawberry jam on a well toasted English Muffin with a side of Nutella. I've got a very big smile on my face and a milk jones.

ETA: I guess this belongs in baking if you consider toasting an English Muffin baking :D but I really meant for it to be in the what are you eating right now thread :)

I've baked (and sold) four key lime pies this week - they are so simple to make, but in this wretched heat, they are flying out of my kitchen. Best fundraising idea I've ever had (all proceeds go to my Chicago Marathon/Leukemia & Lymphoma Society efforts)!

Zucchini-squash bread. Two squash down, five to go...

Can you share details? What recipe did you use? I made a zucchini bread recently that turned out dry as dirt. I'd love to make it again, but not before I get a more solid recipe.

Can you share details? What recipe did you use? I made a zucchini bread recently that turned out dry as dirt. I'd love to make it again, but not before I get a more solid recipe.

I used my Grandmother's recipe that I've modified to use more zucchini. It makes two small loaves or one really large one.

Zucchini Bread

2 XL eggs

2/3 cup oil

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

4 cups grated zucchini or squash

3 cups flour (I use 1/2 white whole wheat)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 tbs vanilla

1 tbs cinnamon

2 tsp grated nutmeg

1 cup nuts

Combine wet ingredients (including sugar). Sift dry ingredients together and mix in. Bake in two loaf pans 1 hour at 350. Mix these like muffins - just fold everything until it is incorporated.

If you put the wet ingredients together and let them sit while you do everything else (grease the pans, sift the flour etc.), all the water will come out of the zucchini and when you mix it all together you end up with a really moist bread.

Wow! A grandma recipe no less? Thanks!

If you had known her, you'd love it even more, and she would be thrilled to know you were making it. :)

Up tonight, chocolate lemon madeleines from Pierre Hermé's Chocolate Desserts. I bought both the book and the pans online and they arrived yesterday, so all in all, I think I showed remarkable restraint by waiting this long. I read many, many blog entries on madeleines and, using tips from David Lebovitz, managed to have a most excellent first bake. The only modification I made to the recipe was using lemoncello instead of lemon zest.

Here they are in the oven. post-3913-12803610494_thumb.jpg

I smacked the pan on the counter, and they fell right out.post-3913-128036105862_thumb.jpg

The much discussed dome. post-3913-128036106479_thumb.jpg

Mon dieu these are good. Soft, tender, chocolate cake with crispy edges, still warm out of the oven.

I was thinking about this post - with the recipe I sent, cooking time will change due to the shape and color of the pan you use. A narrower or darker pan will take less time, so if you do make it, start skewer-checking it at maybe 50 minutes for optimum moistness.

Recently.....Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake....Outstanding(ly rich).

This looks like the best Reese's ever.

I was thinking about this post - with the recipe I sent, cooking time will change due to the shape and color of the pan you use. A narrower or darker pan will take less time, so if you do make it, start skewer-checking it at maybe 50 minutes for optimum moistness.

This looks like the best Reese's ever.

:-) It was delicious...and was quite rich.

Raspberry swirl cheesecake. It calls for 2 lbs. of cream cheese, and 1 have 1 lb. 15 oz. I'm guessing that's close enough, because I'm not going out to buy cream cheese now.

Intrepid baking! Let us know how it turns out. I'm hoping to start putting together a tomato pie, after reading about it here and being well, up to my eyeballs in 'maters.

Not that that's a bad thing :)

Intrepid baking! Let us know how it turns out.

FWIW, it turned out pretty well. It's a Martha Stewart recipe. I'm a little wary of how well-tested her baking recipes are, but a blogger I read had made the cupcake version with good results. Being a little short on cream cheese didn't make any discernible difference. It was a great way to use some beautiful fresh raspberries I had before they could turn on me :( . My husband has been taking a slice to work every day this week for lunch dessert.

I just made these Cinnamon Buns that called for cottage cheese and no-yeast. I love the idea of cinnamon buns but they are generally too sweet and rich for me to have more than a few bites. So this recipe appealed to me because it called for so little sugar. Also, I like the idea of non-yeast breads. And may I say wowza. I only wish I had taken a picture before the buns were consumed.

I did not make the glaze because I am not a fan of glazes... but the buns were delicious!

ETA: I used nonfat milk with a bit of vinegar because I didn't have buttermilk and I used 1% fat cottage cheese because that is what I had. Did it make a difference? I don't think so. Also, I didn't use pecans because I don't like nuts in my baked goods

I'm doing my least favorite thing - waiting for other people to do their jobs. To counteract my impatience, I made Julia Child's Queen of Sheba cake with Valrhona Manjari chocolate and Gosling's Black Seal rum. I've rented some of the old French Chef episodes from Netflix, and watched her make this cake a few days ago. post-3913-005178400 1284059124_thumb.jpg