What Are You Baking?

monavano

Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake recipe from Smitten Kitchen.

And big thanks to AB for alerting me that it's blood orange season.

You're welcome! But do try this and see what I posted in response to DanielK recently in Dinner thread where I recommended an extra step that streaks insides fuchsia. I misattributed the recipe to Claudia Roden, but I gotta say the drama and ease of a cake w oranges processed whole, peel, pith and all is worth the comparison. I happened to use a very fruity olive oil last time I made it and the cake assumed colors of both fruits. P.S. Ricotta tart looks smashing!

I successfully made the classic icebox sugar cookies from One Smart Cookie, I added 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 1T ground lavender. They turned out really good! I really like them. I wish I could post a picture, they are simple, but pretty in a simple way. I could have taken a bit more care to roll the roll perfectly round so the rounds were a bit more perfect, but most of it is very round. And they tasted good. I really like the One Smart Cookie book, as it gives you nutrition info for all the cookies. I tried to make a lower calorie one. Hubby had a long long not so wonderful day, so he really appreciated the cookies.

Sourdough rye with caraway and fennel seeds, and blood orange zest.

This recipe is from Breadtopia, which I've been referencing to help me work with a sourdough starter I purchased (from Breadtopia through Amazon). The dough was extremely wet, but I added flour while kneading before the second rise, and it held together, albeit tentatively. The end result was a large, moist, soft crumb and excellent chewy crust.

I'll make this again with a bit less water, but overall I was not only happy that it actually came together (I was sure I'd wind up tossing it and actually made a backup dough), but Mr. MV and I are loving the smell and taste of this flavor combination.

Applesauce spice muffins for road trip food. I made them GF and used a jar of apple butter that had been in the pantry a while, so I adjusted the sugar content. Still into the pantry challenge, so I finished up a container of walnuts from the freezer as well. These are really nicely textured - they came out like a nice, tender, apple spice cake.

Made my famous "best blueberry muffins ever" yesterday morning. When the oven beeped, my husband, who was still in bed (and a little...say, altered...from the previous night's fun), said that he didn't even know we had muffin mix in the house. I gave him my best shocked and appalled look and told him that I couldn't believe he would accuse me of such a thing. :P

The muffin recipe came from an old recipe of ATK, and it is seriously the best ever. Loads of blueberry flavor, and a lemon/sugar "crumble" on top. Not too sweet, great texture.

9758668212_f1f1353904_z.jpg

Chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies with pecans and a pinch of fleur de sel.

YUM!!!  Those look delicious.

I baked chocolate chip banana bread muffins yesterday - I opted for the lower-fat-and-sugar version of my usual recipe, so the texture wasn't perfect, but it's a tasty breakfast on the go.

I have discovered making bread.  Yes, I grew up with an amish nanny, but a Kitchen Aid dough hook is amazing.  I made dough for homemade pepperoni rolls earlier this month.  This weekend I homemade focaccia, bundino cake.  I am hoping to make brioche chocolate soft pretzels from smitten kitchen and maybe the gruyere, rosemary crackers.  It's a big weekend for me coming up, holiday times at home.  I also made some gf cornbread that was good.  

• Like 1

I haven't baked anything memorable lately (I can't count cornbread from a mix), but I read this article, http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/best-cookbooks-to-cook-your-way-through, & I started thinking about cookbooks that I love (on that list, I have 6 out of 18, & have read many of the others from the library). When I was a stripling, right out of school, I worked in a Waldenbooks, & we had a really good selection of cookbooks. We could check books out (so that we could familiarize ourselves w/ them, & recommend them to customers) & Maida Heatter's dessert books are amazing- http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/The-Queen-of-Cake. I wish I could be that focused these days.

Made cranberry upside down cake yesterday, and it turned out great - tasty AND pretty.

The same cannot be said for the maple pumpkin cheesecake I attempted - epic fail. I have never managed to make a successful cheesecake. I think I will leave it to the pros from now on.

Made cranberry upside down cake yesterday, and it turned out great - tasty AND pretty.

The same cannot be said for the maple pumpkin cheesecake I attempted - epic fail. I have never managed to make a successful cheesecake. I think I will leave it to the pros from now on.

How did it fail? Cheesecake is a type of baked custard, which can curdle if cooked at too high a temp. Dense cakes that usually have a crack on the top are baked directly in the oven. Lighter, fluffier ones (which I prefer) need to be baked in a waterbath, with the springform carefully wrapped in double heavy duty aluminum foil, to prevent leaks. The best recipe I have ever found, which can have endlessly varied flavor fillings, is from Rose Levy Barenbaum's Cake Bible, called the Cordon Rose cheesecake. Shirley Corriher also has Rose's cheesecake recipe (appropriately attributed) in her book, Cookwise. The technique involves baking in a slow-moderate oven in a waterbath for 3/4 of an hour, then turning the oven off and leaving it in the oven with the door closed for an hour. The only time I had a failure was when I wrapped the springform pan carelessly and put too much water in the waterbath--some water migrated up inside the foil and got into the pan. But I have used the recipe dozens of times with great success--I always add a T of cornstarch to the batter, which Rose says is optional, and a cookie crust base, which she recommends against.

While I love to cook, I'm not much of a baker never having made much beyond cookies, brownies, and birthday cakes.  But I've really been in the mood to try my hand at bread baking. I'd love to be able to make a crusty outside airy inside loaf/boule/baguette in my own house. Anyone have any good recipes? Preferably not sourdough as my wife has an aversion to it and the starters seem a bit advanced for me for now at least.

While I love to cook, I'm not much of a baker never having made much beyond cookies, brownies, and birthday cakes.  But I've really been in the mood to try my hand at bread baking. I'd love to be able to make a crusty outside airy inside loaf/boule/baguette in my own house. Anyone have any good recipes? Preferably not sourdough as my wife has an aversion to it and the starters seem a bit advanced for me for now at least.

Look up "no knead bread" and have a go at it.  Fabulous flavor and texture, minimal work.

Anyone know of a good recipe for some southern style yeast rolls?  The ones from Green Pig Bistro when they opened were like what I had growing up, and now I really want to find a good recipe for them.  I never know if online recipes are really any good.   

Today is hardcore baking day. We're hosting an open house for Azami's artwork next Sunday around brunchtime, so I'm making banana-nut muffins and cranberry-orange muffins. I also committed to baking for the office dessert auction -- they're getting a spice cake with blackberry jam and caramel icing.

• Like 1

Did some double-chocolate muffins yesterday, and today I'm making chocolate-cinnamon-chili crinkle cookies.  The latter is a new recipe, so we'll see how it goes.  I may also make some of my ginger chewies, just in case (not that we don't have enough sweets in the house, but holiday time always feels like baking time).