Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well, my candied flowers didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but it's still a festive piece of work  

Saturday was dreary here in Southern CT, a perfect day to bake. My first attempt at Challah! I forgot to add the salt, didn't seem to affect the taste. I sprinkled it over the egg wash befor

I. Never. Bake. But my 91 year old dad wanted a custard pie. I dug up a recipe, followed it closely, and produced a pretty decent product. Dad was thrilled. 

Posted Images

woke up too early this morning, discovered my peaches needed to be used stat, checked the pantry, ended up using a Jiffy cornbread mix and doctored it with some extra sugar, and made a small peach dump cake with a sweet cornbread top.  Smells great.  I'll find out tonight if it was more of a waste of peaches than just tossing them out :D

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 7:05 AM, weezy said:

woke up too early this morning, discovered my peaches needed to be used stat, checked the pantry, ended up using a Jiffy cornbread mix and doctored it with some extra sugar, and made a small peach dump cake with a sweet cornbread top.  Smells great.  I'll find out tonight if it was more of a waste of peaches than just tossing them out :D

Wasted peaches, sorry to say.  Not much flavor, texture was gritty and just unpleasant.  The muffin mix never absorbed the peach juices or steam while baking covered or the butter dotted on top.  Obviously that needed to be mixed up and treated more as a clafoutis than a dump cake.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on a cookie streak- chocolate chip oatmeal, ginger apricot, apple butter...

I got over my hand pie streak, although it is sounding pretty good, I might go back on that bender, but they kept oozing. 

I also just bought a stick of pepperoni to make pepperoni rolls, which is good because I have a lot of whole wheat flour I need to use. 

Our previous law firm had what would be a very unexpected amount of sugar left in their kitchen, so now I have several pounds of sugar, and the possibilities are endless. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I made this cake with some tweaks, and I really liked it, will definitely keep it in the rotation:  https://thecafesucrefarine.com/ridiculously-easy-magic-apple-cake/

First, as a cook's note, I would reserve a couple of tablespoons of sugar and the salt and add that to the chopped apples before mixing into the batter so they are well macerated.  I mixed & waited & mixed as directed in the recipe and my apples didn't give up enough juice through that process to make a batter, it was more of a dough, and the cake was a bit tough as a result of the gluten development from the extra handling.

I didn't make the frosting, so I cannnot comment on that.  I did a quick streusel instead, as I wanted something less sweet and more coffee cake style and easier to freeze one layer.

I also added some raisins and chopped nuts and a bit of cardamom  because that's how I roll.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to find ways to use really good eggnog that don't involve drinking it all. So I'm baking these cookies right now. They look pretty good in the oven. Fingers crossed.

Update: These came out great. Recommended. This is a keeper of a recipe, especially because I'm probably going to continue making my one jug of eggnog per season purchase and have this dilemma again^_^.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great idea. I don't have room in the freezer for the canister, though. If I could find enough space, I might be able to freeze the eggnog in something smaller. It wouldn't have the benefit of the specially designed insulated freezer but could be worth a try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the day off yesterday and spent it baking but was disappointed with the results overall.  My various butter cookies all spread much more than usual.  I think there has been a lowering of butterfat in the butter, as well as my eggs were probably too large.  All that extra moisture made for screwed up cooking times and ugly cookies that all ran into one another.  The flavor tasted a bit washed out as well.  Made a note for future baking to separate the eggs and only use half the whites (and add macaroons -- not macarons --to the repetoire), as well as buying European butter for the higher fat content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, weezy said:

My various butter cookies all spread much more than usual. 

I have been having that issue. It appears to be because I was using "super parchment," aka very thin silicone mats, rather than parchment paper. Changing to paper fixed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, saf said:

I have been having that issue. It appears to be because I was using "super parchment," aka very thin silicone mats, rather than parchment paper. Changing to paper fixed it.

I was using the same parchment paper that I always have.  I'll just have to tinker with the recipe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the Giant this morning checking out butters, and Land O Lakes now makes an extra creamy butter in black packaging, salted and unsalted, that is a higher fat butter, higher than Plugra at half the price.  I bought a couple of pounds and will try it out.  On sale this week @ $3.50/lb.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, weezy said:

I was at the Giant this morning checking out butters, and Land O Lakes now makes an extra creamy butter in black packaging, salted and unsalted, that is a higher fat butter, higher than Plugra at half the price.  I bought a couple of pounds and will try it out.  On sale this week @ $3.50/lb.

I have been baking with this for at least a year and have been very happy with the results, especially in butter cookies and shortbread. It goes on sale from time to time at Harris Teeter.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m making holiday treats to give to our neighbors and will be making spritz cookies, chocolate chip cookies, caramilized peanuts (per the David Lebovitz recipe), and cinnamon marshmallows. I’m thinking about dipping some of the marshmallows in dark chocolate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, curls said:

I’m making holiday treats to give to our neighbors and will be making spritz cookies, chocolate chip cookies, caramilized peanuts (per the David Lebovitz recipe), and cinnamon marshmallows. I’m thinking about dipping some of the marshmallows in dark chocolate.

David Lebovitz recently  had a recipe for chocolate marshmallows that looked interesting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...