Jump to content
monavano

What Are You Baking?

Recommended Posts

Made this gingerbread bundt from King Arthur Flour. I added some candied ginger to the batter but other than that, followed all the instructions. Really liked the way it turned out, will be making this recipe again (with the added chopped candied ginger).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made these brown sugar cinnamon scones today. I don't bake much and had never made scones before and they turned out pretty well! I made two batches and for the second batch I didn't have enough white flour, so I substituted wheat flour (I read that I should use 3/4 of the amount of white flour the recipe calls for). Those scones are more crumbly but still tasty. Friends are hosting us for breakfast in the morning, I wanted to bring something, and I had heavy cream to use up, so...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got this Dark Chocolate - Olive Oil Skillet Banana Bread from Food 52 in the oven right now. It smells good. I only had 2 bananas instead of 3, but calculated that I was only about 2 oz. short. The batter, at least, has a decent amount of banana flavor to it...I used a loaf pan instead on a skillet, so I'm going to have to keep checking in terms of baking time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Pat said:

I've got this Dark Chocolate - Olive Oil Skillet Banana Bread from Food 52 in the oven right now. It smells good. I only had 2 bananas instead of 3, but calculated that I was only about 2 oz. short. The batter, at least, has a decent amount of banana flavor to it...I used a loaf pan instead on a skillet, so I'm going to have to keep checking in terms of baking time.

Sounds interesting. How did it turn out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the comments on the recipe and saw that the author said she baked the loaf version close to an hour. After checking a couple of times and finding it still liquid in the center, I let it go until 58 minutes total. It turned out delicious and moist in the center, but I think it got a little crustier on the edges than it was supposed to. I think I'd pull it at about 45 - 48 minutes next time. I'll definitely make it again at some point, though. The banana is more a background flavor but it's beautiful up against the two kinds of chocolate. I used Hershey's Dutch process for the cocoa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I made a blueberry cornmeal cake from the Washington Post. I went 5 minutes short on the timing because it was getting a bit too browned on the top. Very moist and delicious. Great with vanilla ice cream.

I usually take non-dessert dishes to the annual potluck on our block, but I did a test run on this recipe because I thought it would be good to take. It's a go.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cordon Rose banana cake with chocolate sour cream ganache (from The Cake Bible).  The lengths I’ll go to not to waste over-ripe bananas, lol!  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blueberry crisp, a bit more crisp and burnt than intended, but quite tasty having scraped off the black bits and smothered it in whipped cream. Nuts in the streusel are key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crisps seem to be a lost art.  My college-aged daughter is working hard to bring them back among her peer group,  Easy to make in a minimalist kitchen and easy to transport to a picnic or potluck.

in other baking news, the instapot’s killer app just might be clotted cream.  Between that and Inna Jam’s Seascape Strawberry (which I mail order from CA), scone demand has risen dramatically at my house.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made banana blueberry muffins topped with struesel last week, which were a big hit at office and at home.  I will make those again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I made banana blueberry muffins topped with struesel last week, which were a big hit at office and at home.  I will make those again.  

Thoughts:

I detest overripe bananas in general.
Bad Beaujolais tastes like overripe bananas.
Chocolate chip - banana -walnut muffins should have a calorie tax.
Blueberries in muffins are terrific.
Muffins must not be too sweet, or blanched.
A slight crunch on a (non-strueseled) muffin top is always in vogue.
Struesel shows best as a thin crumble.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, smithhemb said:

Crisps seem to be a lost art.  My college-aged daughter is working hard to bring them back among her peer group,  Easy to make in a minimalist kitchen and easy to transport to a picnic or potluck.

in other baking news, the instapot’s killer app just might be clotted cream.  Between that and Inna Jam’s Seascape Strawberry (which I mail order from CA), scone demand has risen dramatically at my house.

Would you mind sharing your instant pot clotted cream recipe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/instant-pot-clotted-cream-recipe/

Super simple, but it’s a 24 hour process — once it gets to target temperature, it spends 10 hours on keep warm, an hour or more to cool down, then 12 hours in the fridge.  And it’s important that you don’t use ultrapasteurized cream.  Fat content also matters.  I have been using Harrisburg Dairies Heavy Cream (from Whole Foods) with consistent success.  The one time I used cream delivered direct from the dairy (South Mountain Creamery), it failed.  Not sure if it was ultrapasteurized or if the issue was lower fat content (35% vs 40%).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...