monavano

What Are You Baking?

Gotta say, as a longtime non-baker, that the bagel recipe from Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/homemade-bagels-recipe.html) has worked out really well.  Highly recommended.  I wasn't trying to hop on the quarantine baking bandwagon; bagels just sounded really good to me, we had enough flour to spare if I totally f'ed it up (as in, we wouldn't have used the last of our precious flour and yeast that apparently could have funded our retirement if we had sold them), and we have sesame seeds as well as Everything seasoning.  The recipe held up even on the batch where I tinkered with the size of the bagels.  Did I get lucky?  Probably.  YMMV.  

• Like 2

Jumped on the sourdough bandwagon. Knew the bread baking would be fun had no idea how much I would like tracking down and making sourdough discard recipes.  All the sourdough discard recipes that I have tried from the King Arthur website have been winners. Also, the same can be said for all of Andrew Janjigian's sourdough discard recipes.

44501110_IMG_6010-loaf.jpg.99769e99f465185dc57fea0da914601a.jpg 

880387231_IMG_6014-cutloaf.jpg.494034ede27310cdc023972ca4684912.jpg

sourdough discard drop biscuits

516570134_IMG_6119-CooksIllustrated-Quarantinystarter-Sourdough-Discard-Biscuits.jpg.5da7e0c65461d7a259c4f2145be1ac9b.jpg

• Like 4

Saturday was dreary here in Southern CT, a perfect day to bake. My first attempt at Challah!

R3TPyNQ.jpg

I forgot to add the salt, didn't seem to affect the taste. I sprinkled it over the egg wash before baking.

• Like 7

We were out of bread flour for a while, so we found some recipes that use only all purpose flour and work really well.  My husband is the baker in our house.  After he made these baguettes the first time, I bought him a baguette pan and had him make more. :)

IMG_20200426_183814731.md.jpg

I was missing bagels and generally our tastes in this area diverge as I like mine savory and he prefers his sweet.  But we can both agree on jalapeno cheddar bagels and he's made these a couple of times now as well.

IMG_20200516_183738865.md.jpg

I can't find any pictures, but using the bread machine is beneath my husband, so using the device is relegated to me.  Early on, I had a recipe that worked perfectly but then I ran out of bread flour.  Since then, I've made this Tuscan Herb French Bread a couple of times and it's turned out very well, both in looks and taste.

• Like 4

I have made bakewell bars with apple jam and craisins, and family pie (a little like a cobbler/clafoutis), oh and corn muffins (but when you are using Jiffy Mix, is it really baking?). I made a pizza crust the other week, but I thought it was a little thick, I needed to stretch it more.

• Like 2

I made some granola bars because I had a bunch of pecans, but I don't love them.  I would like them to be crunchier and I want another spice besides just cinnamon and vanilla, maybe like a graham masala or something??? Ideas?  All the crunchy ones had flaxseed meal though in the recipe, and I didn't have any of that.  They are fine, but I want them to be better next time. 

On 7/6/2020 at 8:58 PM, ktmoomau said:

I made some granola bars because I had a bunch of pecans, but I don't love them.  I would like them to be crunchier and I want another spice besides just cinnamon and vanilla, maybe like a graham masala or something??? Ideas?  All the crunchy ones had flaxseed meal though in the recipe, and I didn't have any of that.  They are fine, but I want them to be better next time. 

I have found that adding an egg white helps with crunchiness. And for spicing, I have used and enjoy the baking spice mix from District Spice, but in looking them up to link here, it appears that they are closed for good, and I am sad. So maybe some other baking spice blend?

On 7/6/2020 at 8:58 PM, ktmoomau said:

I want another spice besides just cinnamon and vanilla, maybe like a graham masala or something

Cloves? Allspice? Ginger? Nutmeg?